Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• insufferable know-it-all

Save Internet Radio!

http://www.savenetradio.org/

From my favorite radio station (the former Fabulous 570/690, now, unfortunately, my favorite internet radio station, www.martiniinthemorning.com):

SAVE Internet Radio!
    On July 15th, new royalty rates, tripling current rates, will end Internet Radio as you know it today. Only large broadcast corporations will be able to afford these new rates - so the same people who have abandoned all by the most profitable formats (including ours) will gain control of not only the broadcast airwaves, but Internet streaming as well.

If these new rates go into effect, we will be forced out of business.

I hope something can be done to stop this. I already lost this great radio station once when Clear Channel sold the transmitter off to some Mexican company after they closed a loophole in the law allowing them to have one extra station if it transmitted from across the border. I guess Sinatra and his contemporaries (as well as contemporary recordings of their style of music) are not mainstream enough. But now even the internet broadcast of the greatest music ever recorded is threatened as well!

Oh, and listen to www.martiniinthemorning.com - it's awesome music!

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

Re: Save Internet Radio!

Another reason to abolish the RIAA.

• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

Your plight is also my own. This includes all Internet Radio. If something is not done by July 15th my hobby is over and done with. I've done Internet Radio for almost seven years now. It would break my heart to see it end this way
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

• Banned User

This doesn't include podcasts, though, does it? What about Live365?

I'm so sick of fascism continuing to make inroads in this country. There is no good reason why the wealthiest special interests should be allowed to have exclusive consolidation of their income opportunities at the expense of everyone else. I don't listen to ClearChannel radio stations when I can avoid them, and I won't listen to big business internet radio if they're my only choice. Reduction of choice is not a good thing for the nation as a whole, regardless of what the profit-makers claim. Government corruption is becoming a greater and greater problem as well.

Small business is the backbone of this nation's economy. Stifle that, and you stifle the economy. I guess that's what they want - all of us to be poor and dependent on them and their big bucks. No thanks. I highly support flouting whatever laws enable the rich to get richer at my expense.
    Last edited by TiaDalmaFan; 07-05-2007 at 02:16 PM.

It doesn't include podcasts unless somehow the podcast was included as part of a broadcast that also had pre-recorded music where royalties would be involved.

Live365 stations would be included and subject to the same fee increase (the company would have no choice but to pass the costs to their customers). Live365 would probably end up going out of business.

It's bad bad bad bad bad ...

I wish MartiniInTheMorning/Fabulous Radio would get picked up by a broadcaster again. Best darn station on the air, when it was on the air.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Goofy

Im with you guys all the way we need to save the radio come on everyone.

• Colorful

Here's what I think is going to happen.

The last shot of saving this thing is an emergency stay issued by the courts. Why? Well there is nothing going on in DC until after July 15th. I have my doubts about the courts issuing a stay in this matter. What I do not doubt is that Internet Radio will be saved with the legislation in Congress it will just be after the 15th of July. That's just a guess.

Here's a question though. How is Sound Exchange going to enforce these rules right away? Are they going to be just like the RIAA and only sue people who won't fight them? Do you see many people actually take the RIAA to court after they get one of those letters? There's a reason for that. They only go after children and old people with the least chance of fighting. Why? Cause if thye sued someone who would fight them hard in court the RIAA would lose. If they sued the "wrong" person they could run into someone with connections that could parade artists and bands who the RIAA has screwed over and if that happened the RIAA would be sued to the stone age. the question is this - Is Soundexchange going to work the same way?

I'll be honest.... your knowledge way exceeds mine on this matter. I don't know who soundexchange is. I only know that my favorite station is threatened yet again because of changes in laws and regulations regarding broadcasting.

(last time it was because they closed some loophole that allowed a company to own one more station if the transmitter was in Mexico)

• Colorful

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon View Post
    I'll be honest.... your knowledge way exceeds mine on this matter. I don't know who soundexchange is. I only know that my favorite station is threatened yet again because of changes in laws and regulations regarding broadcasting.

(last time it was because they closed some loophole that allowed a company to own one more station if the transmitter was in Mexico)
    Soundexchange is the agency that will be the money collector for royalties. That is who the Copyright Royalty Board has appointed to do so. I think they are a wing of or affiliated in some way to the RIAA but I am not sure. You can find more info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SoundExchange

I just discovered something really cool! I've mentioned Martini In The Morning before as the internet incarnation of my favorite radio station that went off the air... well it turns out you can tune in from iTunes - go under 50s/60s, and you'll find it!

(currently playing: Andrea Bocelli singing Besame Mucho... how freaking swanky is THAT? And Paper Moon a moment ago sounded like Sinatra, but I didn't check in time to see if it was)

• Colorful

We are know in the 11th hour and it is looking very grave. An appeal to the DC Court of appeals for an emergency stay was denied last night. It's not looking good at all

• Banned User

this stinks, the internet is the last bastion of truly free speech and entertainment in this country and it shouldn't be controlled by big companies, this should be a place where everyone has the oportunity to entertain as long as it's legal.

• Colorful

Cool Re: Save Internet Radio!

WE'RE SAVED!!!!

I recevied the following bulletoin just an hour ago:

At today's Congressional hearing about the new rates for online radio that would essentially destroy it (as readers of this blog already know), SoundExchange, which was scheduled to receive the new royalty payments on Monday morning (since the enforcement date falls on a Sunday), made a startling statement.

The SoundExchange executive promised -- in front of Congress -- that SoundExchange will not enforce the new royalty rates. Webcasters will stay online, as new rates are hammered out.

I just spoke with Pandora founder Tim Westergren, who expressed relief that Pandora wouldn't have to shut down on Sunday in response to the new rates. He said, "It was getting pretty close. I always had underlying optimism that sanity was going to prevail, but I was beginning to wonder."

He said everyone who called their Congress person about this should feel that they had an effect on the process:

"This is a direct result of lobbying pressure, so if anyone thinks their call didn't matter, it did. That's why this is happening." The flyer DiMA distributed to Congress today probably helped a bit too, but overall, it appears Congress intervened due to pressure from web radio listeners.

Funnily enough, Westergren told me this mere hours after a representative of SoundExchange said
    that the new rates are "etched in stone." Twice. Evidently not.

Westergren had more to say, lending insight into a process that was largely opaque to non-participants. Apparently, the per-channel minimum fees mandated by the Copyright Royalty Board were never taken very seriously by those involved. They've now been taken off the table completely, saving Pandora, Live365, and other multicasters from their most imminent threat.

"No one thought those per station fees were remotely rational. It only makes sense that they're being taken off the table."

As for the Copyright Royalty Board? They're entirely cut out of the process, having set the rates and then refused a rehearing. Going forward without the royalties being collected, SoundExchange and webcasters will negotiate a new royalty rate with Congress looking over their shoulder -- "and last but not least, the public looking over Congress's shoulder." Alternatively, Congress now has time to consider the Internet Radio Equality Act, which would set webcaster royalties at 7.5 percent of revenue and allow them to continue operating pretty much as they have been.

Either way, this is a big win for webcasters and their listeners.

The full story can be found here - http://blog.wired.com/music/2007/07/breaking-news-o.html

• Colorful

Cool Re: Save Internet Radio!

The war is not over for a long shot we need to keep the heat on to make sure everything is settled fairly for everyone. But for the time being we have won a great victory!

Thank you for your help in this matter. It means a whole lot to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast