• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Jim Hill reports: DCA to become "Walt Disney's California Adventure"

I know, I know. Some of you are probably wondering why I'm even starting a thread based on a JimHillMedia.com story. In fact, I've often replied to Jim Hill "news" as being "misjimformation" simply because very little, if anything, of what Jim Hill posts actually comes to fruition.

A lot of what Mr. Hill writes is actually quite commonly based on what is actually being discussed. However, seeing as how what we actually get from Disney, it often seems like Jim exaggerates his information to create a simply fantastic idea of what he wants to see, not the realistic version that is actually being planned. Of course, I don't know the man or his sources, so I can't really judge what his deal is...

With that said, I saw on another forum that Mr. Hill is now reporting that Disney's California Adventure could possibly be getting a name change. Well, not so much a name change, but rather an addition to the name. Here, let's take a look at Mr. Hill's article:

The Imagineers aren't really looking to change the name of Disney's California Adventure. In fact, the way I hear it, what WDI is actually thinking of adding a new word to the title of this particular theme park.

Ah, but what a difference that one word would make. What am I talking about? Well, how would you feel if they changed DCA's name to "Walt Disney's California Adventure" ?

Interesting, no?

He continues also noting the other long-reported changes of re-theming Sunshine Plaza to Los Angeles/Hollywood as Walt Disney saw it when he first hopped off the train in 1923.

But what is truly interesting about this article is this:

Mind you, one of the more interesting ideas that the Imagineers are reportedly toying with is completely ripping out the Golden Vine Winery restaurant. And in its place building an approximation of the Disney family's Holmby Hills estate. Inside the house itself would be "Walt's Place," a brand-new restaurant that would celebrate the man as well as his love of American comfort food. Meanwhile, out in the "backyard" of this estate would be a brand-new version of the Carolwood Pacific Railroad. Which guests could then board and -- via an elaborate system of tressels -- take a quick scenic trip around the Grizzly Peak Recreation Area. Where they could then view rafters splashing along Grizzly River Run and hikers exploring the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail before heading back to the Holmby Hills estate.

The Imagineers want to shift DCA from being a theme park that tells these very broad stories about Southern California to becoming a place that tells very specific stories. All of the adventures that one man had while he was living in California. In short ... Walt Disney's California Adventure.

I don't know how much of this to believe. Surely, a train ride of some sort in the Grizzly Peak Recreation Area has been long-rumored at DCA - but this version that Jim Hill sounds like is quite interesting - not to mention the Holmby Hills Estate.

While I have my doubts that much of this is, in fact, true, I wonder how this version of Disney's California Adventure may be like.

This thread isn't necessarily to pick on Jim's article, but rather, to explore this idea of switching the focus from actually being on California, but rather to Walt Disney's experiences in California.

How would it be to get a completely re-themed Hollywood Pictures Backlot? Rename it to the Walt Disney Studios and re-build the area to resemble the Disney Studios campus and a truly magical experience could materialize.

If this rumor is, in fact, one of Jim's correct reportings, then I'm all for it. A Walt Disney's California Adventure park could potentially rival the Disneyland experience. Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom - Walt's imaginary world of magic and nostalgia would be supremely complimented by an idealized version of the man's reality.

What do you think?
    Last edited by MasterGracey; 08-16-2007 at 11:44 PM.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• is too darn hot.

Re: Jim Hill reports: DCA to become "Walt Disney's California Adventure"

Interesting concept, but why was this thread moved?
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• Infinitized!

Interesting. I still think Hollywood Pictures Backlot should get a version of the Great Movie Ride, but in this re-visualization of the park as Walt Disney's California Adventure, then how about a great movie ride featuring just Disney movies, classics like Treasure Island, 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, Absent Minded Professor, etc?

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    Interesting concept, but why was this thread moved?
    I was wondering the same thing. This thread was discussing the possibilities of the inclusion of Walt into the DCA theme, and whether it would work or not, not about Jim Hill's web site, despite the fact that the discussion stemmed from an article on that site. Totally about the Disneyland Resort... why was this thread moved?

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Totally about the Disneyland Resort... why was this thread moved?
    The thread was moved because it specially encourages discussion about another article on another site that is outside our family of websites. While the article does pertain to the resort, any discussion over the topic, specially encourages discussion about the writer's view on the issue.

My suggestion is to open a new thread, that approaches the topic in a manner that doesn't link to other websites, or mention other columnists' names.
    -Monorail Man

• Who's your DaddyB?

Didn't Al report on the whole "stepping off the train in 1928" theme a while ago?
    ---------------------------------------------

a walk around the park... Star Tours, Nemo, Fantasyland, Frontierland, DCA... and more!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    Interesting. I still think Hollywood Pictures Backlot should get a version of the Great Movie Ride, but in this re-visualization of the park as Walt Disney's California Adventure, then how about a great movie ride featuring just Disney movies, classics like Treasure Island, 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, Absent Minded Professor, etc?
    that would be a really cool ride,and probobly give TOT ,or POTC and HM a run for their money