Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Re: People who use to love Disney but now feel they have lost their way

Hey Dave I joined your group on Facebook to be counted. Thats not to say I don't still love the parks, but I do agree things are not what they once were.

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

Hey witches thanks.

I'm glad to know I am not alone. I do love Disney still, but it feels like a self abusing relative. And indeed, WDW1974 and I do share a lot of common views.

It's funny, the European boards (where some have only known Disney for a few years) treat me like I'm bonkers. But they do not remember DLP 1992 where there was a classic car (real cars) store on Main Street, and Carpet Weavers in the Adventureland Bazaar. Or a MK that used to be state of the art and had a Fife and Drum Band. And they certainly do not have decades of experience of a Disneyland that did not revolve around toons. The only toons could be found in Fantasyland, and DL was actually a place to learn something.
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

•   
    • Super Hero

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    Even I, the Dusty Sage of MiceChat, have lost a bit of my love of Disney over the years. When I was younger, I couldn't stand to hear people say anything bad about Disney (which I think is more about the state of being young and idealistic than anything else). As I got older, I really started looking to the gossip mill to find out what was good, bad, and ugly at Disney. Then I became a bit of an insider in my current years with the launch of MiceChat.

To be honest, it isn't even Disney that keeps me coming back any more - it is the MiceChatters. We share a common space and love - Disney. And it is our time there that I love the most. I suppose that if every MiceChatter decided tomorrow that they loved Sea World the most and wanted to start meeting there on Sundays, That's what I'd do too. But it wouldn't stop me from being upset when I see bad maintenance.

My point, and I do have one, is that as we age, we become naturally more critical of the things we know the best (work, loves, places). If you listen to your grandparents you will hear that nothing is as good, cheap, or special as it was when they are kids.

And if you listen to the kids today talk about Disney, they rarely focus on the negative aspects (in fact, they are the most rabid fans - just as you and I once were).

It is all part of the circle of life. Young ones to drum up the frenzy and spend all their money, and us old ones to keep people honest and make sure that the young ones aren't being taken advantage of.

But I do still feel the magic. And like you, find places like Disney Sea and Disneyland Paris alluring and recharging to my Disney addiction.

Cheers,

Dusty

Wow, that sums up my thoughts exactly! Excellent, Dusty, and right on all counts.

Well done!

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Susabelle View Post

I think you are right on about the Pirates, Princesses, Pins and Plush! They are MARKETING Disney more and it shows. Someone here at this board calls it the "Walmartization of Disney!" He who shall go un-named (LOL) is somewhat correct. ... It is always more of the same in EVERY shop you look.

We tried to find some different tee shirts with attractions on them last trip. NOPE! There was the same logo stuff EVERYWHERE and all up and down Main Street. I would like to see Main Street open up some quaint Main Street shops and sell DIFFERENT stuff or not sell anything at all. They could be museums of history of the Turn of the Century, the last one, not this one...LOL!!!!
    I agree completely. Disneyland used to be a town that had a hundred different shops. It is now just one giant "super-retailer", and that I find to be offensive and upsetting. Disney ought just to plow down the castle and build "The Disneyland Store" there. Just cram all of the same stuff that fills the other stores and put it there.

When I go to New Orleans Square and visit Le Bat, I want to see Haunted Mansion. When I got to Pieces of 8, I want to see Pirates. I don't want to see Pirates everywhere. I want to see them in a special store. That's why I would go to the store.

The generic merchandise that has become so rampant over the past 13 years is ridiculous. The Villains Lair needs to be re-opened and stocked fresh with Villains merchandise. Le Bat needs to get the Nightmare stuff out and be stocked fresh with Mansion merchandise. The Nightmare stuff can go into another space.

I agree with Disney that each major attraction should have a store. There is no doubt about that. I just want to see merchandise related to THAT attraction in THAT store. I want to see different things in every store. The Emporium should have a little of everything, but that is really the only store in the park that should. Fantasyland shops should be stock-piled with classic Disney character merchandise and merchandise related to its attractions. The other lands should have stores that are filled with merchandise pertinent to their locations. There is no reason why Disney needs to be so cheap when it comes to their products and their stores in the parks. Give us back the Antique Shop, give us back the uniqueness that once filled Disneyland. Don’t give us more of the same old generic commodities.

Why has this been put in here. It does not get anywhere near as much foot traffic as the park threads, where these orginally were.

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    I don't think your experience is isolated. How could it be?
    It's funny, on the European sites they are treating me like a crazy and grumpy old man stating my views. It is amazing to see how replies vary according to length or breadth of Disney experience.

I'm getting messages from "Familiarity breeds contempt", to "Your are too critical, Disney is a business". I don't know what worries me more, Disney's slipping of standards, or the defenders of mediocrity not holding them to account.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by davewasbaloo View Post

I'm getting messages from "Familiarity breeds contempt", to "Your are too critical, Disney is a business". I don't know what worries me more, Disney's slipping of standards, or the defenders of mediocrity not holding them to account.
    Well considering the above is a cause and effect dilemma, both should... very much.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12