Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Disneyland's the best!

Question Illegal to use your phone at ALL for Gumball Rally?

So, you CANNOT use your phone for ANY reason during the MC Gumball Rally? Not check Facebook, play a game to keep you entertained--nothing?? I understand the reasoning, I guess, but it seems a little overboard.

(This is a question AND a statement. At the same time. It's basically a "correct me if I'm wrong" kind of thing)
    It's easy enough to be pleasant
    when life hums along like a song.
    But the man worth while
    is the man who can smile
    when everything goes dead wrong.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Re: Illegal to use your phone at ALL for Gumball Rally?

That is correct. Due to some issues in the past, we want to see who the best contestants are without the aid of calling friends for help

If we see a phone, we'll assume the team is cheating. It is a small change we need to make to help keep the game fair.

We've also added lots of additional staff to watch for rule breakers.

For the most part, teams have played fair, but the temptation to text questions to friends who can ride attractions and give you answers is too high for some.

Sad, but necessary.

On the positive side, you'll be able to experience what the park was like in 1955 when no one had a phone in their pocket and folks had to count on the company of the people they were with and the attractions in the park to keep themselves entertained.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Disneyland's the best!

Thanks!

Right, okay.

And maybe it will be great to experience Disneyland without a phone. But it just seems a little ridiculous that everyone can't just play by the rules without helper rules like this one being added (I hope you get what I'm saying).
    It's easy enough to be pleasant
    when life hums along like a song.
    But the man worth while
    is the man who can smile
    when everything goes dead wrong.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

So does this also ban the use of iPods, iPhones, or other devices that use ear buds? I'm thinking I could talk using the ear buds on my iPhone but then how do you know that I'm not just listening to music?

• MiceChat News Team
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Administrator
    • MiceChat Contributer

Blog Entries

Re: Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by RatherBeAtDLand View Post
    But it just seems a little ridiculous that everyone can't just play by the rules without helper rules like this one being added (I hope you get what I'm saying).
    Indeed! If we could be absolutely certain people played by the rules we would also just give players a checklist for the rides instead of writing questions to verify they rode them.

It all stems from us wanting to level the playing field as much as possible so that all players do not feel that others have an unfair advantage somehow or that they have been cheating in any way. You would be absolutely stunned to know the variety of ways people attempt to get around the rules when it would be so much more efficient to simply play the game.

We have tried to think of everything, though, and have plans for those who may need to stay in touch with family members, or keep the phone by for medical reasons.
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals.
    Homer Jay Simpson

• Wilderness Explorer

Hmmm. This just seems a little ridiculous.
    I totally get the whole "make sure no one's cheating" thing.
    But what if we receive a surprise emergency call from a family member? Do I have to hunt down the hidden spotters (or whatever they're called) nearby and explain myself, wasting valuable time?
    And last year I recall having to text or contact the Gumball Rally "help-line" with questions regarding a misunderstanding with one of the spotters, and a couple questions we had regarding the questions on the form.

What should we do if either of those problems arise?

Also, it's just plain difficult for me to go a whole day without Twitter
    My girlfriend will be happy I can't touch my phone all day... she says it's distracting and I'm on it too much (specifically stuff like Twitter and junk). hahaha

But that also means no Twitter live-blogging at all for those who want to tweet our progress, and no using any location-based Apps to check in. This would be a perfect day to complete my stamp collection on Gowalla

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries

For the first time in the history of the Gumball Rally, the Spotters will be out in the open for all the teams to see. If you need to make an emergency phone call, walk up to one of the Spotters to make the phone call.

In terms of the Gumball Rally Hotline, the details for that aspect will be revealed at a later date.

I know that it is somewhat of an inconvenience to be blocked from using technology; however, I like the statement Dusty made about being able to experience the park without our technology security blankets. At least you won't have to worry about finding a charging station the day of the Event.
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Plus, if it's really an emergency, are you going to stick around to finish the game? You'll be okay for a day, I promise!
    A signature should go here.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Cheating for a gumball machine is rediculous. It's too bad MC had to make harsh changes but if people played fair you could talk on the phone all day.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Reminds me of the days when I was a kid in school, and the whole class got punished, and had to write lines, because someone didn't know how to live by the rules.

However, rules are made for a reason. Hopefully with the new rules in place, and made known to all the contestants, a lot of fun will be had by everyone that day.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mamabot View Post
    For the first time in the history of the Gumball Rally, the Spotters will be out in the open for all the teams to see. If you need to make an emergency phone call, walk up to one of the Spotters to make the phone call.

In terms of the Gumball Rally Hotline, the details for that aspect will be revealed at a later date.

I know that it is somewhat of an inconvenience to be blocked from using technology; however, I like the statement Dusty made about being able to experience the park without our technology security blankets. At least you won't have to worry about finding a charging station the day of the Event.
    I think also the rules, as you say, will be revealed. Everyone is complaining now but I'm sure it won't be that bad once we hear them.

Maybe the trash talking thread should be renamed "I can live without my phone for a day, can you?"

Wait a sec, maybe I found my team name.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Wilderness Explorer

It's not so much that I need my phone as a security blanket. It's just that this is the sort of thing I enjoy sharing with friends using my phone through Twitter, Facebook or any other social networking. It's fun, but I'll make do haha.
    And... no matter how much I voice my dislike of this rule, it won't be changed so there's really no use complaining anymore.
    However, my opinion on the matter stands though - it's a little over-kill.

Next year they'll hand out uniforms and GPS watches so they can keep track of everyone and REALLY make sure no one is cheating. Obvious next step if you ask me...

EDIT: Oh, I almost forgot. What if we don't own a watch or any form of telling the time besides out cell phone?
    My cell phone is all I use to check the time. Can I be disqualified for popping my phone out of my pocket to check the time?

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
    Oh, I almost forgot. What if we don't own a watch or any form of telling the time besides out cell phone?
    My cell phone is all I use to check the time. Can I be disqualified for popping my phone out of my pocket to check the time?
    Fairly sure its been mentioned numerous times that a phone being seen out for any reason will be grounds for a disqualification. Not sure why you keep asking about every single possible scenario. I don't know about you, but I'll be leaving mine in my car. Online social networking is not the whole world; it can be lived without for half a day.
    Caleb

"Second star to the right and straight on 'till morning."

"Adventure is out there!"

22 times to Disneyland in one year, personal record.

(Save the Disneyland Hotel Waterfalls too!)

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Just make sure someone on the team has a watch. Heck, you might even be able to pick up one that will function for the day at the $1 store!

Seriously.... we rely way to much on technology. I realized this the last time I was at the park, sitting on the Mark Twain talking to my daughter on AIM. All of a sudden I was like... what the heck am I doing. I've become one of "those" people... I'm at Disneyland and I'm freaking sitting on the Twain playing with my phone...

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• One Little Spark...

It's sad that the rule has to exists, but I think it's a good rule. It would be impossible to tell if someone was on the phone with Mom about Uncle Bill's sciatica, or on the phone with a CM friend getting help. It keeps everything fair. And like others have said, if there is a true emergency I'm sure winning the Gumball Rally would be the last thing on your mind.

We really are too chained to our cell phones (I'm guilty too!) But when in a Disney Park I rarely check my phone/facebook/twitter. We'll all be ok for a day, and our friends will probably be grateful that we aren't filling their news feeds with our Check-ins!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast