Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Gumball Rally first-timers!

Hi all,

I just signed up for my first Gumball Rally and I have a couple of questions that I think other first-timers might share. I hope it's ok to start a thread to try to collect them together.

1) Does the event just take place in Disneyland proper, or does it also hop over to California Adventure? Or, is this one of the surprises we find out that morning?

2) I saw someone else ask this, but never saw an answer. Are cast members allowed? I may or may not have someone on my team that works for the company, but not at any of the parks. He's just a fan and thought it sounded fun!

3) I don't think I've seen the official times posted yet. I did see that it starts around the time the park opens, but is there an end time yet? Or again, is this a surprise!

4) I understand that phones and other electronic devices are a no-no, but I assume normal cameras are ok, right?

I really am looking forward to this. I was at the park two years ago when there was a test run day. It seemed like a ton of fun was being had by all! If you're a first timer as well, post below to say hi and add in any questions you've got that you don't see answered elsewhere!

Scott

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: Gumball Rally first-timers!

Hi Scott and Welcome to MiceChat!

1) No one knows. My first 2 years it had both parks but last year was the magic kindom only. Be on your toes!

2) I'm sure cast members are allowed but you can't use your employment to help you out (having coworkers move you to the front of the line, extra fastpasses...etc)

3) There will be a registration early in the morning followed by breakfast and the rules and packets being handed out. I'd expect to be in the park by 9, but that just me.

4) I'd hate to think you can't photograph the event, I'm guessing that isn't a problem.

Have fun Scott!

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ScottMcW View Post
    Hi all,

I just signed up for my first Gumball Rally and I have a couple of questions that I think other first-timers might share. I hope it's ok to start a thread to try to collect them together.
    Howdy Scott! We are so glad you'll be joining us.

1) Does the event just take place in Disneyland proper, or does it also hop over to California Adventure? Or, is this one of the surprises we find out that morning?
    This year, the event will be held in both Disneyland AND California Adventure, so you'll need parkhopper tickets.

2) I saw someone else ask this, but never saw an answer. Are cast members allowed? I may or may not have someone on my team that works for the company, but not at any of the parks. He's just a fan and thought it sounded fun!
    Yes, Cast Members CAN play. However, they must play by the same rules as any other Rally participant. That means that can NOT ask Cast Member friends to help them with questions. They can only use the help of their own team members.

3) I don't think I've seen the official times posted yet. I did see that it starts around the time the park opens, but is there an end time yet? Or again, is this a surprise!
    It isn't really a secret. We just wait until closer to the event to make the official announcements in case the park changes its operating hours. Generally, the event will start registration at 6:30 am and launch at 8am. The event lasts for about 12 hours (give or take a bit). All will be confirmed prior to the event.

4) I understand that phones and other electronic devices are a no-no, but I assume normal cameras are ok, right?
    Correct. You may use a camera.

I really am looking forward to this. I was at the park two years ago when there was a test run day. It seemed like a ton of fun was being had by all! If you're a first timer as well, post below to say hi and add in any questions you've got that you don't see answered elsewhere!
    It is a fantastic event. You'll have a great time. It truly is an amazing way to experience the parks and have a good time with your friends.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Awesome. Thanks for the replies both of you! Wow...both parks, eh? Maybe I need to break in a new pair of shoes ahead of time. That'll be some serious walking!

Our cast member works for the website, so he doesn't really know anyone at the park. So there won't even be a temptation to cheat that way!

I think I really need to start getting in shape for this. I'm keeping my eyes open for new info. We have a super geeky team name (at least currently, if I keep getting blank stares when I say it, we may change it) and I'm seeing if my fellow members want to go wild and wear team shirts! heheh

See you all in May!

• Keeper of the fruit rolls

I've never done gumball rally either but I do recommend breaking in some shoes before hand. Even a normal day at the parks takes some good comfortable walking shoes. And good socks are important too. And lots of water. You'll be tired the next day I'm sure and sore! I'm a pretty regular visitor to the parks and still end up exhausted and sore after each trip.
    Must haves also include patience! This is taking place on a day that is bound to be fairly crowded so be prepared to do some waiting and some walking through crowded areas.
    -Jennelle AKA Blue AKA Dory

Quote Originally Posted by drphibes View Post
    SBF's lasso of truth makes grown men want to go pee pee.
    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendGonzo View Post
    Have you considered buying a bed?...as far as I can tell you live in an apartment with a computer, a coupon for hungry howies, and there may or may not be a llama there...
    DLR trips in 2011: Jan 12,29,30, Feb 10, March 29, April 3, 22, May 14, 18, 25, June 9, August 8, 21...hopefully soooooooooon

FB, Twitter

• ^.^

Just to check...

The both parks thing is NOT an April Fool's joke, right? :P
    Jessica: Oh! My hero. [Walks past Valiant] Oh, Honey Bunny!
    Roger: Oh, Lovecup!
    2010 Gumball Rally LITE! *The Five Best Friends That Anyone Could Have!*
    2011 Gumball Rally! *Cruisin' Bayou Tours*
    Twitter!

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyCups View Post
    Just to check...

Considering that the pictures used on the gumball rally info page were taken at DCA I'll have to go with it being serious and not a joke.

Have you considered buying a bed?...as far as I can tell you live in an apartment with a computer, a coupon for hungry howies, and there may or may not be a llama there...
    DLR trips in 2011: Jan 12,29,30, Feb 10, March 29, April 3, 22, May 14, 18, 25, June 9, August 8, 21...hopefully soooooooooon

FB, Twitter

• Closed Account

I have a question that may have been previously asked and answered.

I'm the team leader and am also the only adult in my team. We are AP holders with a blackout on the day of the rally. Will there be time for me to go get out blackout day passes before the rally ceremonies begin?

I remember reading somewhere in a previous thread that the team leaders must stay at the rally area before the race begins.

Thanks for helping out, just trying to be prepared...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyCups View Post
    Just to check...

Nope. It has been confirmed it's both parks this year.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • has a brand new mindset

Quote Originally Posted by disneydancer76 View Post
    I have a question that may have been previously asked and answered.

I'm the team leader and am also the only adult in my team. We are AP holders with a blackout on the day of the rally. Will there be time for me to go get out blackout day passes before the rally ceremonies begin?

I remember reading somewhere in a previous thread that the team leaders must stay at the rally area before the race begins.

Thanks for helping out, just trying to be prepared...
    There usually is time beforehand to get your black out tickets. You may want to plan to be at registration as it opens to guarantee that but I'm sure our fabulous events team will address this issue as there are some logistical changes from last year.
    I love my awesome crazy wonderful friends!!

"Do you remember in kindergarten, how you’d meet a kid,
    then 10 seconds later you’d be playing like you were best friends?"

• Noob

Quote Originally Posted by ScottMcW View Post
    Maybe I need to break in a new pair of shoes ahead of time. That'll be some serious walking!
    Last year was my first year and I can assure you that a comfortable pair of shoes makes all the difference in the world. Don't skimp on or overlook the footwear!

• www.JonAutopsy.com

If you have Under Armour, it's a great idea to wear it. You'll stay a lot more comfy and wont have to worry about getting any kind of heat rash or anything from the constant all day walking.

Believe me, even though it's a ton of fun to do the Rally, it is also insanely tiring and involves a TON of walking (more so than you've probably ever done at the park). You will be wiped out by the end of the day so the least you can do is dress as comfy as possible in any way you can.
    "NATURAL BORN KILLERS"
    1st Place - MiceChat Gumball Rally 2012

JON AUTOPSY - FACEBOOK

• www.JonAutopsy.com

My best advice for first timers aside from the above comment involving the obvious "dress comfy"...

Pack Mule
    Designate a member of your team as the official "pack mule". Have them carry a backpack during the rally that has water, snacks, sandwiches, whatever in it. That way you dont have to stop to eat. Perhaps offer to pay your pack mule's admission into the rally in exchange for backpacking the entire day.

Plan Loosely
    If you want to map out a plan of attack for the rally, then good! It's great to set up exactly how you want to hit every ride in the park. But make sure you leave options open. If a major ride you're heading towards suddenly goes down, you need to be ready to have second options. Having a plan that you are prepared to strictly adhere to no matter what is going to cut your chances of winning dramatically if one of those rides has a malfunction (and we all know it happens daily at the Land).

Fast Passes
    This is a no-brainer. Why wait in line when you can get a fast pass? Keep an eye on the times, as well. As soon as you're able to get another fast pass, go get one!

Parade Anarchy
    Make sure you keep track of parade times and where you are when they occur. Later on in the day, traffic flow around the park changes and parades will cause major bottle-necks in some spots. If you can avoid being near a parade, it's best to do so so grab a map when you go in, just to have the parade schedules on hand.

Go To The Carb Loading Party!!
    Not only is it good food and good people, but it's also a chance to meet your competitors (and possibly eavesdrop on some of their strategies for the next day)

This is some of the best advice I can give without going into full detail about my team's strategy but hey, we took 7th place last year so I figured I could help some of the first-timers a bit. Best of luck to you all and we'll see you on Rally day.
    "NATURAL BORN KILLERS"
    1st Place - MiceChat Gumball Rally 2012

JON AUTOPSY - FACEBOOK

Thank you Jon Autopsy for the advice. I remember under armour from the marathon training. it does help. and good shoes AND good socks are important. My team are newbies to the rally but not to the parks. All three of us are looking forward to the rally and the pasta party!

FB, Twitter

One of my team members also needs to buy a black out ticket and we are hoping to not have to get there too ridiculously early. We need our sleep to be strong competitors!

Also, Disneyland park is supposed to open at 8:00 AM but there will be Magic Morning starting at 7. Therefore the parks won't be completely empty when us gumballers enter at 8. I'm hoping we will be able to be released into the park as close to 8 as possible to take advantage of the lighter crowd in the morning. I've never been to a magic morning myself so I'm not sure how many people will be in the park. I understand that we will all be in the same boat whatever happens.

This will be my team's first rally so thanks for the good tips Jon Autopsy!
    Last edited by Gwenchanter; 05-03-2011 at 01:02 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast