• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries

Smile Gumball Rally Memories

I started looking through some old pictures from our last four Gumball Rallies. There are so many wonderful memories for me through the years. I cannot believe we are about to have our Fifth! Gumball Rally next month!

My kids will be joining me this year for the Rally for the first time since the first Gumball Rally in 2006. They were 7 and 5 that year, now they are 12 and 10. They have grown up so much since then!

Here are a few of my favorite memories through the years:

Gumball Rally 2006

• The anticipation on the Motorboat Dock as we waited for the first ever winner of the Gumball Rally to show up.
    • Being really nervous in front of everyone at the Awards Party while playing the "Have You Ever" game.
    • Going back to the Disneyland Hotel to find that we had checked in so late that we got a suite!

Gumball Rally 2008

• Waiting at the waterfall in DCA for it to be turned on after rope drop. Then realizing after 15 minutes that it wasn't going to be turned on that day.
    • Being able to have a nice, quiet walk over to Tortilla Joe's with Dusty, talking about the future of the Gumball Rally.
    • Having the chance to meet teams at the Awards Party.
    • Meeting Minkertonkey for the first time and giving her the first of many heartfelt hugs.
    • Trying not to make eye contact with Elly since I knew that her team had placed third in the event.
    • Being excited when Kuzcochick knew the answer to the trivia question about Kuzco during the Awards Party game.

Gumball Rally 2009

• The first ever Pasta Party! It was so much fun! The look on Charlie's face when he realized that people were stealing the trophy for fun during the party.
    • Since I am normally over briefing the Spotters at a secret location when the teams are receiving their Rally packets, I never get a chance to see all the teams together the morning of the Rally. I had to take a couple extra packets back for the teams this time. I was in complete awe when I saw all the teams assembled in one location.
    • Enjoying a quiet moment at the Hearthstone Lounge in the middle of the day.
    • Looking out over the Awards party as it was being setup.
    • The feeling of quiet exhaustion after the final results had been tallied.

Gumball Rally 2010

• Being able to watch IndianaJenn receive the first ever MiceChat Staff Award for the Rally. She does so much for the site, not just during the Rally, but all year long. She is the bestest Rally partner in crime a girl could ask for!
    • The simple fact that I worked hard at ensuring that I met as many teams as possible during the event. I get a chance to talk to a number of the teams before the event, so it is always good to be able to put faces to the names and voices.
    • The lengths that teams went to for their outfits! Is It October Yet's 3D t-shirts. The Gumball jewelry that Wonders in Wonderland made. Tiki Room Rejects incredibly coordinated outfits.
    • The big hug I got from Tinkermonkey when she placed in the top three.

Gumball Rally 2011

• The planning meetings and phone calls. We have an incredible and dedicated staff who put so much energy into the event every year!
    • Planning being at the event with my mom and kids and the daughter of one of my oldest and dearest friends.
    • The nervous feeling I keep getting in the pit of my stomach when I see the number of participants and teams in this year's Rally. The numbers boggle my mind every time I see them.
    • The knowledge that this is the biggest and best Rally we have ever produced for our participants! There are still lots of surprises in store for everyone.

There are so many more memories that I have that I hold close to my heart. The Gumball Rally is one of the events I look forward to the most every year. It brings me closer to my friends, brings new friends into my life, and gives me something to into which I put a lot of heart and passion.

If you would like to see some of what has happened during the Gumball Rally through the years, check out the older threads talking about the Rally. The pictures, the videos, the trash talking thread (especially the one for the second year!), the questions, the memories. I love it all!

Gumball Rally Threads

Thank you to everyone who continues to make the Gumball Rally possible, teams, staff and all!
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries

Re: Gumball Rally Memories

Oh my goodness! I forgot one very important memory that stretches across all the past Gumball Rallies! Our Spotters!

I am always amazed that we have a dedicated group of staff, friends, and MiceChat members who give up an entire day just so they can help us make the Gumball Rally a success! (This includes my Super Secret Ninja Task Force of Spotters. You know who you are.) You are the biggest and best team in the Gumball Rally, in my humble, yet biased, opinion. We would not be able to have a successful event without them!
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

One of my favorite memories is last year reading a tweet from another Rally team that their pen died. We happened to be in the area with an extra pen, so we took a little detour to help out!

Being in the Rally is a memory in and of itself, and each year we've had a different teammate to help us out. Unfortunately, last year our teammate was waylaid (with good cause). Still, was SO much fun to have her with us for a little bit!

This year my brother is joining the team. It's his first Rally and we're looking forward to it!
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

Quote Originally Posted by mamabot View Post

Gumball Rally 2008

[LIST]
    [*]Trying not to make eye contact with Elly since I knew that her team had placed third in the event.
    hahahhaa

i think some parts of Anaheim are STILL trying to recover from my scream of shock when our team name was announced, heck *I* am still trying to recover

cannot wait to compete again this year, Gumball Rally is one of the most fun things we do every year, and i can't imagine not being with my teammates and plotting how we're going to win this year!
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • has a brand new mindset

Botamam...you got me to tear up again with this thread! Ok, it was reading through last years thread that did it...but still! I us! And it all started at this crazy thing called a Gumball Rally on a rainy Saturday in January of... ok, what year was that? Feels like forever ago!

I'm going to be lazy and paste my memories from the last thread but then get tricky and change them up a bit! (See what posting on little sleep and a LOT of cold medicine will do for you?)

Rally #1 - I wasn't at this one. Living up in Washington has it's disadvantages. Or it did. Now Rally is on my calendar as a "definitely going" weekend every year!

Rally #2 - Team Dorkalicious, powered by Goldentinis! we had a hilarious time. Memories that stand out from our team stuff:
    Pezz on the hotel bathroom floor doing the ironing for our fabulous and very bright team shirts (his part for the teamwork on the shirts!)
    The power gel or whatever it was that my hubby sent along for an energy boost...that looked and sort of tasted like motor oil! Seriously - it's years later and I still cringe at the very thought of it!
    The Nemo decision...if you were there, you know.
    And we still got 9th place!! Not bad at all!!
    Memories with other people...these stand out the most to me and are still part of relationships today...
    Elly and I going full out head to head...at Tuck n Rolls in Bugs Land!! This year it's both parks again...what do you say Elly? Rematch?
    (Never gonna change this next one as one of my best Gumball memories -- not because the moment was so amazing, I mean, it was, but because it was the start of something wonderful!) Hearing someone say "Where is Tinkermonkey? I have to meet her!" and finding out it was Mamabot. To me, a random user from the Northwest, this was a big deal - "she's like Micechat user #3!!" We had no idea that such an amazing friendship was born that night!

Gumball #3...Sarcasmic! New team name, new teammate...new energy?
    The best memory that makes me laugh the most is the trip to Target the night before. Those that were there remember how silly we all were that night!
    Knowing how close to killing each other we were, yet we kept going (ok, in his defense, he didn't know that quitting was an option -- I still remember the look on his face "we could have QUIT?")
    The rafts to Tom Sawyer Island...we were on the first raft of the day and were fast enough in and out of the caves that we made the same raft back!
    Tweeting about today's rally brought to you by the number...4. Right before finding the answer to the next question was...3. (I'm going to miss tweeting this year!)
    It's a race! (the number of things that conspired against us that day included a broken flip flop, a lost wallet and... The curse of Mickey's House aka "Spirit Killer!")
    Top 10 again! Woot!!
    winning team name so randomly when it was really just so perfectly "us" (so perfectly that we have dusted it off for a reboot!)

but more importantly...
    All the text messages from people supporting us to keep going since they all had quit by then!
    The look on Disney1978's face when we came in to the finish area and how she took care of me.
    "I can neither confirm nor deny any attraction as a part of the Rally..." <-- this should just be on the list every year, because it makes me laugh when she says it at random times when I start a conversation with "hey, I have a question...."

Gumball 4...new name...same teammate...different outcome? Heck yeah!
    I know what we're gonna do today...
    The shirts arriving at the last minute (shipped to the hotel!) and they turned out to be really cool!
    My "date" for the Pasta Party
    Target shopping with friends that should have killed me but restrained from actually doing so.
    Realizing that every strategy needs a back up plan
    Going back to Mickey's house and after having flashbacks from last year, really not wanting to go in - and then realizing we were having so much fun that we nearly stayed and got our picture taken!
    Tiki room with a fun group of other teams and spotters
    "Never pass up a walk on for a line"
    Looking at the time and realizing that there is over an hour left and we are DONE?
    Hearing our name called (last, thanks Mamabot!) for top 5, after thinking the previous group was top 5. Someone said to me "Maybe they are the top 5 for the Spirit Award?" My reply "Jon Autopsy is up there...seriously?
    Third place. Totally awesome and satisfying... for a while anyway - then it made someone want to try for better!! (Ok, both of us, really)

Gumball 4... Name reboot... planning ahead... Hey, it's a different strategy!
    Sarcasmic!: The Adventures Continue
    So far, it's just been fun as heck to know I am competing again one more time with the best teammate ever (you know, unless we get 2nd place and say "well, I think we can do better" or if we win and think "no one has ever truly defended their title" but yeah, honest - one last time. )

Have I mentioned "I can neither confirm or deny..."
    I love my awesome crazy wonderful friends!!

"Do you remember in kindergarten, how you’d meet a kid,
    then 10 seconds later you’d be playing like you were best friends?"