I started looking through some old pictures from our last four Gumball Rallies. There are so many wonderful memories for me through the years. I cannot believe we are about to have our Fifth! Gumball Rally next month!
My kids will be joining me this year for the Rally for the first time since the first Gumball Rally in 2006. They were 7 and 5 that year, now they are 12 and 10. They have grown up so much since then!
Here are a few of my favorite memories through the years:
Gumball Rally 2006
- The anticipation on the Motorboat Dock as we waited for the first ever winner of the Gumball Rally to show up.
- Being really nervous in front of everyone at the Awards Party while playing the "Have You Ever" game.
- Going back to the Disneyland Hotel to find that we had checked in so late that we got a suite!
Gumball Rally 2008
- Waiting at the waterfall in DCA for it to be turned on after rope drop. Then realizing after 15 minutes that it wasn't going to be turned on that day.
- Being able to have a nice, quiet walk over to Tortilla Joe's with Dusty, talking about the future of the Gumball Rally.
- Having the chance to meet teams at the Awards Party.
- Meeting Minkertonkey for the first time and giving her the first of many heartfelt hugs.
- Trying not to make eye contact with Elly since I knew that her team had placed third in the event.
- Being excited when Kuzcochick knew the answer to the trivia question about Kuzco during the Awards Party game.
Gumball Rally 2009
- The first ever Pasta Party! It was so much fun! The look on Charlie's face when he realized that people were stealing the trophy for fun during the party.
- Since I am normally over briefing the Spotters at a secret location when the teams are receiving their Rally packets, I never get a chance to see all the teams together the morning of the Rally. I had to take a couple extra packets back for the teams this time. I was in complete awe when I saw all the teams assembled in one location.
- Enjoying a quiet moment at the Hearthstone Lounge in the middle of the day.
- Looking out over the Awards party as it was being setup.
- The feeling of quiet exhaustion after the final results had been tallied.
Gumball Rally 2010
- Being able to watch IndianaJenn receive the first ever MiceChat Staff Award for the Rally. She does so much for the site, not just during the Rally, but all year long. She is the bestest Rally partner in crime a girl could ask for!
- The simple fact that I worked hard at ensuring that I met as many teams as possible during the event. I get a chance to talk to a number of the teams before the event, so it is always good to be able to put faces to the names and voices.
- The lengths that teams went to for their outfits! Is It October Yet's 3D t-shirts. The Gumball jewelry that Wonders in Wonderland made. Tiki Room Rejects incredibly coordinated outfits.
- The big hug I got from Tinkermonkey when she placed in the top three.
Gumball Rally 2011
- The planning meetings and phone calls. We have an incredible and dedicated staff who put so much energy into the event every year!
- Planning being at the event with my mom and kids and the daughter of one of my oldest and dearest friends.
- The nervous feeling I keep getting in the pit of my stomach when I see the number of participants and teams in this year's Rally. The numbers boggle my mind every time I see them.
- The knowledge that this is the biggest and best Rally we have ever produced for our participants! There are still lots of surprises in store for everyone.
There are so many more memories that I have that I hold close to my heart. The Gumball Rally is one of the events I look forward to the most every year. It brings me closer to my friends, brings new friends into my life, and gives me something to into which I put a lot of heart and passion.
If you would like to see some of what has happened during the Gumball Rally through the years, check out the older threads talking about the Rally. The pictures, the videos, the trash talking thread (especially the one for the second year!), the questions, the memories. I love it all!
Gumball Rally Threads
Thank you to everyone who continues to make the Gumball Rally possible, teams, staff and all!