Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• D'land Visitor since '57

My Gumball Thoughts:

I want to thank the organizers of this year's Gumball Rally for a wonderful event. Our team had a great time, and although we didn't finish in the top 10 (CORRECTION: TOP 50), It Doesn't Matterhorn, because we really enjoyed our participation in the Rally.

This was our first year rolling with the Gumballs and we are glad that we could join all of you. In previous years we really wanted to participate, but had conflicts with other activities, usually theatrical -- we are heavily involved in community theaters in the San Jose area. We're glad that we made this a priority, because it was such a good time.

One of the things that made it especially special (how's that for redundancy) is the fact that once we entered the park we suddenly had hundreds of new friends. Whenever we'd pass another team, or spot a spotter, we'd wave and shout encouragement, and when we got to stand in line with other Gumballers we enjoyed getting to know the other team. We are grateful for the opportunities to talk with the Frying Pans, and Step In Time, and Drinkin' With Lincoln, and the Gumball Teacups, and Cheeseburger and a Pair of Mice (all the way from Wisconsin!), and Rock Chalkers (all the way from Kansas), and Esmeralda Predicts We Win, and the Incrediballs, and Team #500 (what was your team name?), and --- oh, so many others that I can recall right now. That was what really made this event worth attending!

We are looking forward to next year ... hopefully our calendar will again be free. We already have a new team name picked out. It is ************** (deleted).

- Larry and Kathy and Nikki and Dave
    "It Doesn't Matterhorn"

p.s. Sorry if our shirts blinded anyone. You can take those sunglasses off now.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by lctom1; 05-26-2011 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Changed "Top 10" to "Top 50"

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: My Gumball Thoughts:

I was stuck next to those shirt for 15 minutes at the Screamin' exit. I may need a corneal transplant.

• Jeanne, like the lamp!

It was great to run the rally with people like you too!! Though we didn't get to actually chat, The Disney Afternooners helped cheer you on! See you next year!!

P.S. You should SOOO keep the name!!

and they lived happily ever after

I have so many pictures including you guys IT DOESN'T MATTERHORN, coming off of the Ferris Wheel.

I just got to get the time to post them all.
    Caleb

"Second star to the right and straight on 'till morning."

"Adventure is out there!"

22 times to Disneyland in one year, personal record.

(Save the Disneyland Hotel Waterfalls too!)

It was a pleasure meeting you, too. What a fun team with great spirit, in fact, you received my grandson's vote for Spirit Award. He appreciated your smiles while enduring the Big Thunder shutdown. Way to Go!!! Can't wait to see you in whatever color you wear next year.

I kept thinking you guys were spotters, being light green and all, haha.
    Caleb

I'll write my thoughts as well.

I enjoyed myself thoroughly. It was exhausting, but fun. All of the MiceChat staff was very friendly, and I felt welcome. I met a lot of people, shared stories, and got to hang out with some cool teams.

That being said, I suppose the only drawbacks were the questions asked on attractions and some cheating that we saw.

-Some of the questions were very vague, and/or we missed seeing the clue or answer. I mean, don't get me wrong, I understand the reason for questions being asked due to cheating in the past, but come on...there were rides my team went on, but couldn't find the answer (e.g. Jungle Cruise, piranha question). I mean, correct me if I'm wrong but the whole point was to ride as many rides as possible in one day, not answer a bunch of random questions as in a scavenger hunt. We probably got less points because of this.
    I wish there were some other way the Gumball Rally could work, like less rides so there could be a staff member at the end of the ride to stamp your book when you complete it. I don't know, does anyone else feel this way?

-And worse than that, we saw teams cheating (running through the parks, among other things), and I had posted this fact elsewhere and used a specific team's name, but my post was deleted, probably because the main team we saw was one of the winners.

Don't get me wrong, I had so much fun, but those are the couple of things that really frustrated us, as well as others we talked to.

*Mods, please don't delete this. The cheating was not fair, and it should be known.
    Caleb

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Quote Originally Posted by ozmacity View Post
    *Mods, please don't delete this. The cheating was not fair, and it should be known.
    Did you alert one of the spotters (in the bright green Gumball Rally shirts)? We have a fairly complex back-end tracking for teams, but spotters can't always see actions that are going on. Rally involves lots of moving parts (from breakfast, registration, to setting up and breaking down a whole theater at the HoJo!).

Also, for the questions - while we would love to have a spotter at the exit of each ride, Disney security has advised us that it's not the best idea to have clipboards and 'look official' or have people blocking and verifying at the exits - so the question format is about our only verification format that we can have. If you had specific issues with questions, you could always talk to a spotter about those. Questions are tested generally tested by a handful of staff members.

The core of the game is to have fun. Yes, our big winners win a trophy - but we try to give out a majority of the prizes during the Awards Ceremony to people in the audience.

I really hope that you had fun, and that you try it out again at the next one.
    -Monorail Man

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by ozmacity View Post
    I'll write my thoughts as well.

I enjoyed myself thoroughly. It was exhausting, but fun. All of the MiceChat staff was very friendly, and I felt welcome. I met a lot of people, shared stories, and got to hang out with some cool teams.

That being said, I suppose the only drawbacks were the questions asked on attractions and some cheating that we saw.

-Some of the questions were very vague, and/or we missed seeing the clue or answer. I mean, don't get me wrong, I understand the reason for questions being asked due to cheating in the past, but come on...there were rides my team went on, but couldn't find the answer (e.g. Jungle Cruise, piranha question). I mean, correct me if I'm wrong but the whole point was to ride as many rides as possible in one day, not answer a bunch of random questions as in a scavenger hunt. We probably got less points because of this.
    I wish there were some other way the Gumball Rally could work, like less rides so there could be a staff member at the end of the ride to stamp your book when you complete it. I don't know, does anyone else feel this way?

-And worse than that, we saw teams cheating (running through the parks, among other things), and I had posted this fact elsewhere and used a specific team's name, but my post was deleted, probably because the main team we saw was one of the winners.

Don't get me wrong, I had so much fun, but those are the couple of things that really frustrated us, as well as others we talked to.

Ozmacity, (an Micechatters)
    you wrote: " And worse than that, we saw teams cheating (running through the parks, among other things)"

I saw this as well early on in the day. My team just looked at each other and said amongst ourselves that the spotters will catch them and we went about our "ride hunt". I HAD AN AWESOME time and enjoyed the team work and comradeship within my team. I do agree with everything you said because I saw it also; this by no means should be considered "sour grapes".

I WILL do the rally again, but with the goal of winning this time, but rather for the experience, to be around other ralliers who played honest and fair, and to also bond with my team.

Ozmacity,
    p.s. I saw you in line behind my team and myself but for some reason I was to embarrassed to say hello....I should have because now I have a greater respect for you after reading your thread.

I saw teams going at a brisk pace, but personally didn't see anyone running. Of course, im fat and slow and out of shape, so a brisk walk might as well be running as far as I'm concerned

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Gumball Rally Volunteer!

As one of the spotters, I can say I never saw a team running through the areas I was in at any time. Anyone we saw was walking either normally or at a brisk pace. The teams also seemed to be in really good spirits, even when some faced with an issue with one of the ride questions.

Please keep in mind that we can't see everything a team might do in a day. We do rely a lot on everyone's honor to adhere to the rules and spirit of the Gumball Rally. A brief bit of running may or may not get caught by us spotters in the big long jumble that is Rally Day, and if it had it would have been acted upon in some fashion.
    Happy Anniversary, MiceChat!

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Monorail Man View Post
    Also, for the questions - while we would love to have a spotter at the exit of each ride, Disney security has advised us that it's not the best idea to have clipboards and 'look official' or have people blocking and verifying at the exits - so the question format is about our only verification format that we can have
    Some suggestions that 'might' make it past Disney's concerns...

- have a spotter near the exit where they can see people coming off rides.. if your spotters and teams are highly visible, should be easy enough to have the two find each other without obstructing Disney's concerns over the exits
    - don't have a clipboard/etc... maybe a simple smartphone app or even more basic... have a trinket made up prior.. and the spotter simply gives each team said trinket. A simple collection of dollar-store plastic things type stuff could be used. I know it's a lot of variations to find unique items for - but if the standard for using a item is pretty low (unlikely to have on your possession to start with, small enough to put in a pocket/bag, cheap) it might be feasible. My biggest concern here is simply scale... plus the concern that many people could come off a ride at once making it possible the spotter could miss a team exiting while helping another team.

So theory there is to speed up the spotter's job. Make sure badges have the team size on them, spotter counts people there, gives trinket.. then eyes up.

Just a suggestion... I know you guys have put a ton of effort into the refinement of your event - so this is just ideas, not criticism.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    I was stuck next to those shirt for 15 minutes at the Screamin' exit. I may need a corneal transplant.
    Well, I apologize for your eyes, but it was fun talking to you! Standing in the chicken line for Screamin' has never been so much fun.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by bookwyrm View Post
    Well, I apologize for your eyes, but it was fun talking to you! Standing in the chicken line for Screamin' has never been so much fun.
    Awwww. Something about the rally is just good-hearted fun. It's nice being surrounded by 500 people that don't question why you are a Disney dork, they just embrace it. See you next year!

Quote Originally Posted by disneydancer76 View Post
    Ozmacity, (an Micechatters)
    you wrote: " And worse than that, we saw teams cheating (running through the parks, among other things)"

I saw this as well early on in the day. My team just looked at each other and said amongst ourselves that the spotters will catch them and we went about our "ride hunt". I HAD AN AWESOME time and enjoyed the team work and comradeship within my team. I do agree with everything you said because I saw it also; this by no means should be considered "sour grapes".

I WILL do the rally again, but with the goal of winning this time, but rather for the experience, to be around other ralliers who played honest and fair, and to also bond with my team.

Ozmacity,
    p.s. I saw you in line behind my team and myself but for some reason I was to embarrassed to say hello....I should have because now I have a greater respect for you after reading your thread.
    Thank you. It was definitely frustrating, and it's too bad that people are dishonest. I would be fine just saying I rode a ride, because I'm honest, but again, I appreciate all you teams that were there for the right reasons and shared among the comradery.
    Caleb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast