IT WAS A WILD RIDE BUT THE MICECHAT GUMBALL RALLY 2012 IS OVERIt all starts with a plate of spaghetti . . . . .
HERE IS A BRIEF RECAP WITH RESULTS FROM THE TOP 50 TEAMS.
FRIDAY NIGHT PASTA PARTY:
They were strong to the finish because they ate their dinner at Old Spaghetti Factory in Anaheim the night before the big event. IndianaJenn organized the big Carb Loading Pasta Party where teams and staff got together to eat and party. Circarama unveiled the 1st place trophy that the teams would be playing for the next day.
REGISTRATION AND BREAKFAST:
Gumball Rally day began bright and early at 6am (5am for our staff) on Saturday, May 19th at ESPN Zone in Downtown Disney. Registering teams were greeted by the friendly MiceChat staff. Each team was given their own lanyards, event rules, and were then asked to pose for team pictures.
The doors to the ESPNZone were opened at 6:45 and teams were welcomed in for breakfast. Coffee, orange juice, teas and water were set up in the lobby and each player was given their breakfast ticket. The players took a seat in one of the two main dining rooms and chowed down on yummy breakfast burritos made especially for the event (complete with ESPN Zone's famous bacon).
Dustysage then addressed all of the team captains and explained the rules of the game to them. Once it was all clear, the game books were handed out and the teams waited to be let loose. Just after 8am, the teams burst out of the gate and were allowed to either wait for the Monorail or make their way through Downtown Disney to begin at Disneyland's front gate.
PLAYING THE GAME:
The game was all to see how many rides a team could complete between 8am and 8pm. Teams were each given a game book that had a question for most of the attractions in the park. The questions were designed to simply verify if a team experienced an attraction or not. Each attraction is given a point value based on the length of the ride and average wait time. Thus, quick rides have a lower point value than ones which consume more time (for example, Nemo is a high point value ride).
The Teams had to make it to the finish line by 8pm, located at the picnic area just outside the security tents. Only one team was late and all returned with HUGE smiles. They were directed to the Howard Johnson Anaheim resort, where the awards party would begin at 8pm. Monorail Man entertained the guests with a brilliant game show called, Let's Mice a Deal as the results were tabulated. Then, just after Disneyland Fireworks, the results were announced.
And the winners of Gumball Rally 2012 are:
All sat eager to hear who won.
Best Team Name • Dumbo and Dumboer
Team Spirit • It Doesn't Matterhorn
BEST TEAM LOGO • The Ancient Cambodian Shriners
10th Place • The Disney Mountaineers • Score 86
Michael Brill , Jeff Brill, John Warnken-Brill, Anna Warnken-Brill
9th Place • Really Bad Eggs • 86
Danielle Loiodice, Matt Loiodice
8th Place • Slice of Mice • Score 87
Vanessa & Mike
7th Place • The Big Bangs Theory
Susie Brogan, Rachel Brogan
6th Place • Cool Runnings • Score 88
Katie Wakayama, Janae Mack
5th Place • Quack Attack • Score 88
Michael Suchowierski, Nicole Suchowierski
4th Place • Gumballerinas • Score - 89
LeAnn Foss, Raechel Foss
3rd Place • The AvengEARS • Score - 89
Jose Vasquez, Ingrid Hallgrimson, John Dusenberry, Liz Dusenberry
2nd place • Cinderella's Mice • Score - 92 Jackie Becerra, Gus Becerra
1st place • Natural Born Killers • Score - 94 Jon Autopsy, Candice Catron
The Top 50 Teams (we do not record scores beyond 50th place)
11th Place • Sister Swag
12th Place • Main Attraction
13th Place • Vinyl Chasers
14th Place • Gumball Rally Birthday Party
15th Place • Mushu's Merciless Mercenaries
16th Place • Rescue Rangers
17th Place • Powered by Pixie Dust
18th Place • Entourage of Oz
19th Place • yung&reckle$$
20th Place • Til Death
21st Place • Cool Pizza
22nd Place • The Docious-Ali-Expi-Listic…Lost Safari Duo
23rd Place • The Wildest Riders in the Wilderness
24th Place • Main Street Micyclists
25th Place • Great Moments with Babe-raham Lincolns
26th Place • Big Green Quack Machine
27th Place • All Heart
28th Place • Fantastic Two
29th Place • The Rebel Spies
30th Place • Riders of the Lost Park
31st Place • Indiana Janes
32nd Place • Team Eeyore: We Aren't Going to Win
33rd Place • Driver, your turn's clear…Beep! Beep!
34th Place • Team Angry Eyes
35th Place • Dumbo's Dashers
36th Place • Team Bad
37th Place • Belle Lugosi
38th Place • Where's Kuzcochick?
39th Place • Rex's Midnight Runners
40th Place • Balrogs of Moria!
41st Place • Safety Third 3
42nd Place • Team Pascal
43rd Place • Mousenators
44th Place • Raiders of the Lost Pin Traders
45th Place • Ritual Addictions
46th Place • The Newsmakers 4S
47th Place • ATAK!
48th Place • Debbie was sick, so the union sent us
49th Place • Safety Third 1
50th Place • Forbidden Eyes
! ! ! CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL OF THE 2012 GUMBALL RALLY TEAMS ! ! !
THE SUNDAY MEGA MEET:
The next morning, after a much needed rest, MiceChat staff and many of the teams of the Gumball Rally all gathered at the central hub of Disneyland to congratulate one another and begin a long goodbye process. But Dustysage and IndianaJenn had more surprises in store. There were prizes to be given away! A drawing was held and after giving away the books The Sixth Key by Haunt veteran Jeff Tucker, The Short Death of Phineas Bean by Haunt Designer Daniel Miller, and Hidden Mickey Adventures in Disneyland by Nancy Rodrigue (the books will soon be available in our store) - Dusty broke out the big prizes. As Dusty called out the numbers to the crowd, Indiana Jenn gave a way a two night stay at the Anabella Hotel, AND a two night stay at the Carrousel Inn and Suites.
After running around for 12 hours in the heat on Saturday, they are still smiling (and claim they'll even come back next year for more punishment!)
The Mega Meet just happened to fall on Bats Day. Some of our attendees dressed up for the occasion.
And we grabbed one last group photo to cap off the festivities
It was an amazing weekend and one that we will never forget. 500 participants, 130 staff, and endless supporters online helped make this our most amazing event ever. We'd like to thank everyone who worked so hard to make this our very best Gumball Rally. We couldn't do this event without all the wonderful volunteers like Al Lutz, Circarama, Demigod, Dustysage, Fishbulb, Grumpy4, Indiana Jenn, Mamabot, MickeyMaxx, Monorail Man, Rixter, ESPN Zone, Howard Johnson Anaheim Resort, Fairy Godmother Travel, Knott's Berry Farm, The Discovery Science Center, The Anabella Hotel, The Carousel Inn and Suites . . . and SOOOOOO many other important folks, sponsors, supporters and volunteers. But most of all . . . we'd like to thank YOU. Without you, none of this would matter. Thank you for your support!
CREDITS Event Directors:
Staffing, Spotters and Registration - Michele Kersteins
Parties, Prizes and Sponsor Relations - Jennifer O'Brien
Game Show "Let's Mice A Deal" - Hastin Zylstra
Art Direction - Norman Gidney
Rally Questions - Kimber Craig
Marketing - Jeff Gordon
Trophy Design and Construction - Charlie Arnold
Event Producer - Dustysage
AND A HUGE THANK YOU TO OUR SPONSORS: Fairy Godmother Travel, ESPN Zone, Howard Johnson Anaheim Resort, Knott's Berry Farm, Discovery Science Center, Anabella hotel, Carousel Inn and Suites
- Mr. Sage's Personal Assistant - Gregg Condon
- Parking Assistance - Joshua Morris
- Registration - Tiffany Wilhelm, Troy Parson, Kelly, Ben Ragunton, Keith Lane, Kimber Craig, Kristi Condon, Susie Predergast, Tina Joplin
- Photographers - Michael Wada, Matt Jergens, Alan Kawartani, Matt Hamand
- Wranglers - Scott Linder, Mary Reale, Maria Garza, Gregg Condon, Lu Delucey
- Support Staff - Lori Beth Carson, Susie Prendergast, Kristi Condon, Joanne Cohen, Troy Parsons, Matt Jergens, Aaron Green, Henry Payan, Al Lutz, Jeff Carson, Jeff Heimbuch, Trevor Demerse
- Spotter Management Scott Linder
- Spotter Care Crew - Michelle Hamand, Scott Linder, Gwen Dreyer, Matt Hamand
- Spotters - Thank you to the huge team of spotters who gave up a day to help us run this event. You are all spectacular!
- Event Photographers - Michael Wada, Matt Jergens, Alan Kawartani
- Scoring Team & Question Testers - Matt Jergens, Michelle Hamand, Matt Hamand, Gwen Dreyer, Melissa Parson, Troy Parsons, Kimber Craig, Kristi Condon, Tiffany Wilhelm
- Welcome Crew - Rick Wright, Lu Delucy, Matt Hamand, Kelly Gold, Jeff Gordon
- Food Truck Squad - Jeffrey Niederauer, Troy Parsons
UPCOMING EVENTS: But before you get too sad about the end of a wonderful event, we have lots of big events coming right up for you to take part in:
- Bob Gurr book signing and luncheon - June 30th. Books will be available in the MiceChat store soon! Please sign up for our newsletter and stay tuned for more information about this fantastic event.
- MiceChat Fall Cruise September 10th through 16th (Vancouver to Los Angeles aboard the Disney Magic) including an epic event at the Walt Disney Family Museum AND a Napa and Sonoma winery tour (with a Disney twist of course).
- Knott's Berry Farm Halloween Haunt Event September 22nd. Save the day to celebrate 40 years of Knott's haunts! Sign up for our newsletter and stay tuned for more info.
- Epcot 30th Anniversary Event September 29th. We've rented out a private room above the Norway Pavilion in Epcot's World Showcase to celebrate the amazing park. There will be a short scavenger hunt, live taping of Communicore Weekly, Meet with the original Dreamfinder, dessert reception, viewing of Illuminations, AND we'll have the 'last ride of the night' at a special Epcot attraction. It's a dream event at a tiny price.
- Winter MiceQuest - You love the Gumball Rally, now experience a whole new way to explore the parks as we present our 2nd MiceQuest in November. Sign up for our newsletter and stay tuned for more info.
- Knott's Berry Farm Half Rally - Experience Knott's as never before as we take our Gumballs on the road! Round 'em up because the gumballs are set to ride through the wild wild west! Event date and details will be announced in Fall 2012. Please sign up for our newsletter and stay tuned for more information.
- MiceAge 10th anniversary January 25th - 27th. Normally, we celebrate the MiceChat anniversary in January, but this year, we are paying tribute to Al Lutz and MiceAge on their 10th anniversary. We want this to be our biggest celebration ever. Let's come out in force to support the real unsung hero of the Disney fan community, Al Lutz. He's always there fighting for us, it's time we all stand up and show him how much he's appreciated. A huge list of meets and events will be announced this Fall. But save the date now, you won't want to miss this. Sign up for our newsletter and stay tuned for more information.
- Disneyland Resort Gumball Rally - June 2013 (date will be announced soon). The ultimate fan event will return with some huge surprises in a race you simply won't want to miss. We are bursting at the seams trying to hold this secret in! Sign up for our Newsletters and stay tuned for more information!
Remember, being a member of MiceChat is free. We do all of this with volunteers and with your kind support of our events. If you've enjoyed the Gumball Rally and look forward to our upcoming events, please share your thoughts on Facebook, Twitter, or whatever sites you visit. When you see articles on MiceChat and MiceAge you like, share them. When you see an event or book we are selling that catches your interest, share. In short, we live and die by your kindness. We've got a big year planned in celebration of MiceAge's 10th anniversary, we hope you like the lineup. Thank you for your support, you are absolutely the best community of folks anywhere! We couldn't be luckier.
Until next time, may all your days be magic and your dreams filled with gumballs. Roll baby roll . . .
-Dusty and the amazing MiceChat Crew
DID YOU HAVE A GOOD TIME?