Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• The one, the only...

Preparing for October Micechat WDW trip

Even though the October Micechat WDW trip is about 9 months away, there are things now you should do to prepare:

Create a budget – I cannot stress enough how important a budget is. Disney is very expensive, and it is very easy to overspend. Now you should determine how much you can spend on vacation. If it is not as much as you would like, NOW is the time to cut back on expenses to save up for the trip. It is so much better to save for the trip than overspend and charge it. The finance charges will add as much as 40% to the amount you spent at Disney. Why not use that money for the trip?

Buy a digital camera If you don’t own one, now is the time. Look for sales and do internet product research. If your budget cannot afford a camera, then find a friend you can borrow one from. Also now is the time to determine if you need more capacity. I take about 30 to 40 pictures a day. For a 6 day trip, I would need a card to take 240 pictures. I strongly recommend that you also take the largest mega-pixel picture you can. It can always be cropped later. Also make sure that you have back up batteries. Mine are rechargeable so I would make sure that you have at least one backup battery. Remember to take your charger on the trip!

Cell Phone If you plan on getting a new cell phone plan in the next 9 months make sure that it includes free roaming. My plan does not charge for out of state calls. When in Florida, you will want to call home and call your friend there. Make sure that you are not “taking it in the shorts” in you cell bill. Since you have 9 months to work on this, look around for the best cell phone deal before committing.

Luggage Look over the bags you have to determine if you need to replace them. Remember you can always borrow a set if needed. Plan on LOOSELY packing your clothes on the trip. Most people have souvenirs that they want to bring back. I am always surprised at the volume I tend to bring home. I throw a large nylon bag in with my luggage. If I buy too many souvenirs, then I put the extra in it and carry it on. Make sure that you have enough room to carry your treasures home!

Those are my recommendations for now. I will periodically post things here to keep you on track to be totally prepared for the WDW trip! You can start your Disney dreaming now!
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

Re: Preparing for October Micechat WDW trip

Luggage Look over the bags you have to determine if you need to replace them. Remember you can always borrow a set if needed. Plan on LOOSELY packing your clothes on the trip. Most people have souvenirs that they want to bring back. I am always surprised at the volume I tend to bring home. I throw a large nylon bag in with my luggage. If I buy too many souvenirs, then I put the extra in it and carry it on. Make sure that you have enough room to carry your treasures home!
    Important concering luggage: All major airlines have lowered the weight your luggage can be. The maximum weight is 50 lbs. per bag and you are allowed two checked bags per person. Make sure your luggage is not overweight, as the charges can be expensive

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Comfortable shoes Sounds like common sense right? Make sure you have a couple pairs of comfortable shoes because there is A LOT of walking to be done at WDW. Maybe even a month earlier start taking walks to build up your momentum so that you can make it through the day.

Umbrella or poncho Bring one. Its hurricane season still in October and rain happens frequently. Unless you dont mind getting soaked, bring something to cover yourself with, and dont rely on someone else to share an umbrella, thats rude. Be responsible and bring your own.

• /sigh

Packing luggage

Place all 'spillable' products in a plastic ziploc bag. You don't want shampoo accidentally exploding and spilling out all over the clothes!

Roll jeans instead of folding them. Sometimes, that creates more room for other things. Experiment.

Use up every crevasse to store things. Place small items in shoes.

If you have something nice that may wrinkle, place in a dry cleaning bad and tie the end, leaving a little bit of air inside. Folded nicely, the air will cushion it from wrinkling too much.

Try not to take more than you need. Figure one outfit for each day, and maybe something a bit nicer for evenings. You could always wear something twice. Also, bring a sweatshirt or light jacket just in case.
    Last edited by Cuzco-topia; 01-27-2006 at 01:03 PM.
    Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
    Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
    Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
    Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
    Marge: Pink.
    Homer: D'oh!
    Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

• Still wants to be a cat!

Great thread....great advise! Thanks for starting this JiminyCricketFan!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

For those with the digital camera - Bring batteries. They will be expensive at WDW. These cameras will where them down quickly, especially if you are viewing pictures often.

• Original Mice-Chatter

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lightyear999
    For those with the digital camera - Bring batteries. They will be expensive at WDW. These cameras will where them down quickly, especially if you are viewing pictures often.
    and check your camera- sometimes you don't need to spend a fortune on those fancy camera batteries. I spent over $50 on those things before learning I could use AA's to the same effect.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Swimming suit Dont forget to pack one or two. Our passports allow admittance into the water parks and the resort has a great pool and jacuzzi (wink wink nudge nudge). We could have such a fun jacuzzi/swim party one day/evening!! Maybe a mid day relaxing get together after a morning of park hopping.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Stress Out On the Details - Early! - There's no reason to try to get all of your stuff together at the last minute. Instead, pack early, so if you forgot anything, you have plenty of time to get it.
    -Monorail Man

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Bring old underwear OK clean old underwear. Its a trick I learned that I used on my Europe trips. Save up underwear (or even old shirts/jeans/whatever) you had planned on throwing away anyway and take it on a trip. Then after you wear it on your vacation toss it out! That way you have extra free space in your luggage for the trip home for souveniers or what not.

You guys are getting me too excited about this trip, too early. I'm not even 100% positive that I'm going, but I find myself reading this thread as if we're all leaving next week and I have the plane tickets/itinerary.

P.S. Wolfy, check for the deposit went in the mail today...

• Im Mrs Americain Dream

Oh this is such a tease i love it
    ~I Am Finally Just Me~

My Youtube Video Blog

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut
    Bring old underwear OK clean old underwear. Its a trick I learned that I used on my Europe trips. Save up underwear (or even old shirts/jeans/whatever) you had planned on throwing away anyway and take it on a trip. Then after you wear it on your vacation toss it out! That way you have extra free space in your luggage for the trip home for souveniers or what not.
    Ok, I don't know about this one, I could end up looking like a hobo the whole trip !

• Still wants to be a cat!

Quote Originally Posted by Villains Fan
    Ok, I don't know about this one, I could end up looking like a hobo the whole trip !
    We can be twins!!!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Banned User

Queries from a WDW vet:

Which events are you going to?

Whoever is in charge, try to plan the Illuminations Dessert Reception on a night MNSSHP (Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party) is happening at MK. (So there wont be a choice between fireworks that night). You'll probably have atleast 1 other night of it for folks to goto during the days.

Anyone gonna goto MNSSHP?

What about Food and Wine festival? Are you going to do Party for the Sense or the concert series? What about any of the culinary events? Those book up fast, so be on the lookout for details.

The Authentic Taste lectures rock as do the wine tasting - and those are free in the park.

For the paid-extras, the wine pairing dinners, celebrity chef demos, and "Sweet Sundays" all are awesome too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast