Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• The one, the only...

Re: Part 2: Preparing for October WDW Micechat Trip

I have listed before the best VALUE in restaurants at WDW. Buffets offer a better price vs reward for dining.

Now I will list the best restaurants with ATMOSPHERE or DINING EXPERIENCE.

1) Coral Reef>> Ever dine in an aquarium? The Coral Reef puts you eye to eye with sharks and sting rays. The food is better than average, but the service has sometimes been lacking. My trip was wonderful. This is a rare experience of the sea.

2) Royal Table>> Maybe you would like to lunch in a castle. You can be a king or queen for a day. Cinderella’s castle has a restaurant, ornately decorated with stain glass windows. For aspiring princesses, this is the pinnacle of pleasure.

3) California Grill>> High atop the Contemporary offers a view of the Magic Kingdom that most describe as the best in the “World.” Watching the fireworks from here is a grand experience. The food is cutting-edge for innovation and taste.

4) Sci Fi Dine In>> Drive-in theaters inspired with “always night-time” restaurant. Classic science fiction movie trailers play while guests dine in booths shaped like parked cars. Everyone faces the screen while burgers and even more upscale food is consumed.

5) Whispering Canyon Cafe>> The antics of a not-to-bright cowboy makes the experience at this restaurant fun for all. Kids of all ages will laugh at the crazy service you will receive. The food is barbecue and plentiful if not extraordinary. Remember not to ask for catchup!

6) 50’s Prime Time Cafe>> Another interactive restaurant takes you back to the 1950’s and “mom’s” kitchen. Mom keeps a close watch on her “kids.” Fun is for all when “mom” enforces the rules. This interactive experience is for the no-so-shy adult and children at heart. The food is “home style” and comfort foods.

7) ’Ohana’s>> ‘Ohana means family. Everyone is “cousins” here. A large barbecue pit produces hot meats brought to your table. The tropical tastes of the South Pacific and umbrellas in your drinks accent your experience. Views of the lake and Magic Kingdom castle give a wonderful island feel to a reasonably priced meal. Dessert is extra.

International Experiences

BEST ATMOSPHERE

1) Mexico>> This “always night-time” experience of dining on a river in Mexico makes this restaurant a jaw dropper. The food is classic Mexican if not extraordinary. Kids will enjoy the simple ride that passes by the restaurant.

1) Morocco>> A Moroccan band and belly dancer entertain while guest feast on lamb and chicken. You will feel a thousand miles away in this exotic locale. The French taught the Moroccans to bake so dessert is excellent and flakey pastry wraps both meats and sweets.

2) Germany>> A reconstructed Alpine village and a lederhosen wearing band will put you in the mood to sing along. HUGE beer steins clink to the music of Oktoberfest. Strangers might be seated at you table allowing you to meet new friends. The food is German and not outstanding.

3) Italy>> Venice is the inspiration for this Italian restaurant. Colorful murals line a ornately Italian table. Emphasis is placed on pasta, olive oil and fresh vegetables. Not much tomato or spices in this menu.

4) Norway>> A smorgasbord is laid out for you at this restaurant set in a Viking castle. Hot foods are prepared for you and brought to your table. Norway being mostly a sea going nation offers wonderful fish selections, both cold and hot. Swedish meatballs are on the lunch menu.

BEST FOOD

1) Boma>> This 5 star restaurant is known to the Cast Members as the best value at WDW. African inspired dishes will have your mouth dancing in delight. I have not had something that I did not like. For the less adventurous and kids, traditional American food is served.

2) Le Cellier>> This prime steakhouse offers a French meets Canadian menu. Expect wonderful sauces to enrich most dishes. The cheddar cheese soup is great! This is one of the best places to eat at Epcot!

3) Chef’s de France>> Fine French food is served in a wonderful window lined, Parisian setting. This restaurant is less expensive than the one upstairs and still gives you fine French food. Lunch is more reasonably priced than dinner.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• The one, the only...

Well, it is now April 26 so reservations can be made. Remember that dinner reservations fill up first, especially at the dinner hour of 6 to 7 PM. The most popular restautants seem to fill first also.

The Royal Table Breakfast is the most popular and fills up within 15 minutes in the morning 180 days advance.

Reservations do not require a deposit and can be changed later. Just only open times will be available later on. You can call now and book the entire trip's dinning, even if only the first day is at the 180 day mark.

I will you all the best in your dining plans.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

• Earth Intruder

Jesus, now I am all freaked out -- at Disneyland you can play this stuff by ear. If I don't have reservations and I want to eat dinner somewhere does this mean I'm limited to crappy theme park hamburgers?
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog
    If I don't have reservations and I want to eat dinner somewhere does this mean I'm limited to crappy theme park hamburgers?
    For the most part, YES. Without a reservation it is nearly impossible to get into any of the good restaurants, especially if you want to eat at a normal dinner hour. Personally I usually don't make reservations but have found many times when I choose someplace they are not accepting walk-ups anymore or if they are it maybe an hour and half to two hour wait time.

So if you don't make reservations at least have an alternate plan, cause this tends to happen even in "off seasons".

• The one, the only...

Remember just because you have reservations, does not mean you have to USE the reservations.

But without them, it can waste a lot of time. On my first visit to WDW, my wife and I were in the MK without reservations. We thought we could just walk up. Well, after looking at verious restauants, we then decided. We started at about 12:15 and did not get seated until 2:15! That was the first available spot. All I can say is that we wasted a lot of time which could have been spent on rides!
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

I've found that for many places you can get a reservation the same day if you call or go to any guest services window in the morning.
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.

As long as you don't have your heart set on a specific restaurant (like LeCellier), you should be able to make same-day reservations - as long as you're willing to eat at slightly off times.

Also, there are some 'not hamburger/chicken strips' counter service. Epcot World Showcase, all over the place; Columbia Harbour House and Tomorrowland Noodle Terrace in the Magic Kingdom; The place I can never remember the name in the Studios (that they keep changing the menu, too) - in the back, between Lights, Motors, Action and the Backstage Tour. Tusker House in Animal Kingdom.

One other nice thing (to me) at WDW is you can generally substitute a healthier 'side' for the fries at most counter service.

I also wanted to post that tickets for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party are going on sale on May 1st. You should be ok not buying them right away, but if you have your heart set on a specific day, why wait too long?

• Still wants to be a cat!

I'm making a few advance reservations for a table of 8 at a couple of places, just in case (with option to cancel of course). But it is nice to know that we can still make dining arrangements closer to our departure. Thanks for the info.

As far as Mickey's Not so Scary Halloween event.....we have group priority, so if we get people to agree on a date, we can get a discount also. Being that we do have a bit of time, mind you not a whole lot, but some.
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12