Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thumbs up Re: Saturday meets for newbies.

I'd love a n00b meet. I have been to one meet on Sunday and while everyone was very nice, I felt awkward for the first little bit because of the "chat circles" I'm not very outgoing and this would be a great way to ease into the huge group here.
    Last edited by nhesson; 02-19-2008 at 11:02 PM. Reason: posting on iphone. fat fingered

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: Saturday meets for newbies.

I've been to quite a few meets, but for a number of reasons the meets I attend are usually weeks or months apart...so I don't really have a very close relationship or friendship with anybody in particular. Just a lot of really nice acquaintances so far. I wish that could be different, but there are some things one just has no control over.

I'm a bit more outgoing than most, so I will force myself to mingle and either look for new people or others that I haven't seen for awhile, which would be most everybody. And it's like the old saying paraphrased...you'll wind up having as good a time as you make up your mind to have.

They are all very nice people, but as is human nature, people tend to talk to people they know the best, not meaning to shut out others.

So before we have splinter meets on other days I'd like to see people take another shot at walking up to the group. If you read trip reports here, there's bound to be someone you'll recognize. Just be yourself. Look for people like Dusty, Fishbulb, Clinksalot, even aashee if you're really desperate. They'll take yo under wing, and make you feel like part of the group as best they can.

And I also have one of those AP's that blocks me on Saturdays. And I might just want to meet you!

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Banned User

Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Blog Entries

If anyone wants to, I am up to meet early, like at park opening, hang out until the noon meet and just chat and ease into things. Just PM me.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Dan - Tasmic! View Post
    How about a "Friday Meet Just because We Can't Make It On Sunday AND Saturday!" Meet
    I personally have class and other things to take care of on Friday, not sure about others.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Dan - Tasmic! View Post
    If anyone wants to, I am up to meet early, like at park opening, hang out until the noon meet and just chat and ease into things. Just PM me.
    I was thinking about that as well since someone made the comment about many people being blocked out on Saturdays.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by nhesson View Post
    I'd love a n00b meet. I have been to one meet on Sunday and while everyone was very nice, I felt awkward for the first little bit because of the "chat circles" I'm not very outgoing and this would be a great way to ease into the huge group here.
    (I sometimes post on an iPod touch)

I hope it would be. The only problem that's really come up is when people can get into to the parks to actually come to a meet.

I don't really think people try to make their chat circles, it just happens. I always feel weird unless I have someone I can go back to chat with. I hate the feeling of being alone and on the outside.

• Circle of Ancients

I think the scenario that would have worked better is this:

People who are concerned about a large group and are intimidated by the noon meet are welcome to meet Sunday at 10:00am at the Hub. This smaller group will get to know each other, and if comfortable enough by noon with each other move on to the noon meet.

That way if the "Groups" are "shutting people out" (something I've never seen even when I was a newbie) the new people will have their own group too.

I mean, sure, people have people they like to talk to. That comes with getting to know each other. I hate to say it, but I think it's more people being uncomfortable with larger groups than people shutting them out.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I mean, sure, people have people they like to talk to. That comes with getting to know each other. I hate to say it, but I think it's more people being uncomfortable with larger groups than people shutting them out.
    Quoted For Truth.

Meets can be very tough, now that our Sunday meets are so large. All of us try to welcome the newbies, and get them up to speed on the meets. However, at the same time, we have people that we only get to see at meets, and friends to talk to. Just be a little open, and feel free to join in conversations.
    -Monorail Man

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Monorail Man View Post
    Quoted For Truth.

Meets can be very tough, now that our Sunday meets are so large. All of us try to welcome the newbies, and get them up to speed on the meets. However, at the same time, we have people that we only get to see at meets, and friends to talk to. Just be a little open, and feel free to join in conversations.
    Agreed. There are plenty of people who are relative newbies to meets/don't get to meets often that have MORE than fit in.

Not to single somebody out, but Pratt comes to mind. She and her hubby are relatively new to the boards, aren't people who are at meets weekly, yet because of their personalities, they have no problems at meets. (or flashing people).

We love the Pratt's!!!

• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post

Not to single somebody out, but Pratt comes to mind. She and her hubby are relatively new to the boards, aren't people who are at meets weekly, yet because of their personalities, they have no problems at meets. (or flashing people).

We love the Pratt's!!!
    Yes....the Pratt's are awesome and I haven't even met them in person yet (yes that will change)!

I am a very outgoing person (an extrovert if you will) but I can definitely understand that with the very large groups the Noon meets are getting that they can be intimidated. I like Clinks idea. If there is a smaller meet at 10 AM. It would give you a head start as a Newbie because you'd be getting to know a smaller group and can work from there (if you wish) as the group keeps growing.

Of course you are talking to someone who has never been to one of the meets so I am just spinning my wheels. Hopefully I added something beneficial to the dialog.
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

•   
    • Senior Minion

LM-you have been reading my mind! When I saw this thread, I literally had to do a double take. I'm new to MC and have been looking at some of the TRs and everyone looks like they're having so much fun. I'm really shy and the thought of joining these Sunday meets with all these established circles is terrifying, so I really like the idea of the early Sunday newbie meets (I'm blacked out on Saturdays).

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Here's a little advice from someone who I guess now is considered a regular at the meets. I wouldn't be to concerned about the circles tht have been mentioned. Quite often you have people that don't have the luxury of coming 3 times a month to the meets so they are just catching up with people they haven't seen in a while. It's not that they don't want to talk with you or would allow you in their click, it's just like seeing an old friend and talking about things that have happened over that poast few months.

I again am fortunate enough to be able to make quite a few meets. Because of this, I find the newbies a lot more interesting because I remember vividly what it was like to be new to this situation. By the nature of what I do for a living, I don't have to ability to be shy. However I do understand the feel of meeting with a group of people who I have only seens and heard on this website.

I assure you people at these meets are VERY nice and try to make everyone feel comfortable to the newcomers to the perpetually shy. Most of you have seen my mug in trip reports. By all means come up and say hi.

In conclusion, here's a thought that I hope makes you feel more comfortable. There is one this common with all of us on this chat board. We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks. You are meeting strangers, you are getting together with people that you know already share the exact same passion, Disneyland!

See you at the park!

Chad

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    Look for people like Dusty, Fishbulb, Clinksalot, even aashee if you're really desperate. -- Barry

While I'm honored to be on this Mount Rushmore of MiceChatters, I feel like the Teddy Roosevelt that tourists keep calling FDR.

I'll get you Barry!

• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

My friend, that is worthy of being put in a sig line! Way to go! Truer words have never been typed!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

I just want to say that I have never seen anyone totally freeze out a newbie who is trying to be part of their "circle" at the noon meet. Each meet is different and composed of different people - and the good thing about MC is that there are so many types of people that you will find a group to fall into eventually

And I agree with finding Dusty or Fishy or a few of the other outgoing regulars (Princess Buttercup, too!) and have them introduce you to people. Everyone is very nice and very willing to include everyone.

I support the earlier meet idea,and would love to be a "regular" to help introduce newbies to the group in a smaller meet (if that makes sense lol) - well at least until I move in afew months.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast