Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 ... LastLast

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Re: Are You 23 - Disney Campaign - What is it? (Merged)

Quote Originally Posted by mikeland View Post
    I haven't seen the magazine in person yet. Does it have advertising in it? If it does, then REALLY shame on Disney for charging so much. If the magazine does have advertising, then Disney should sell advertising space in the magazine and more people would be able to afford this exclusive club.

There is no "Advertising" in the magazine. However, it is all one big Ad for Disney in a way.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Was excited to see membership is open to international residents, but the $64.95 shipping charge to Australia put a stop to my grand plans, especially with the current lousy exchange rate...

• Here's my 2 cents

what do you think of D23?

I just skimmed through it, but I like what I saw and in typical Disney fashion they offer a D23 membership for a price. Anyway, check it out. What do you think?
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

• Distant Disneylandaholic

I'm excited for it and will try it for a year--I signed up. I'm surprised people would think Disney has blown this already? I don't think online fan sites have to fear this.

If Disney hasn't "wow"ed me after a year, they don't get any more of my membership money. People will see through it very quickly if it's just a way to get more money out of us without providing value. I'm looking forward to getting the first issue of the magazine. At $15.95 each that's $63.80 for the year so the membership wasn't too much more. Of course, $15.95 is a lot of money for one issue of a magazine so it had better be good.

And Disney, since it's obvious you are reading this thread (quotes were pulled right out of here for their webpage), here's my opinion for what it's worth. Focus on Disney Parks, Walt Disney, Disney movies, things that people associate with the name "Disney". I know you guys own ABC, ESPN, and studio labels that sell movies that are completely inappropriate for families. I don't associate that with the name "Disney"--please don't take your focus there or you'll lose us. I also hope you don't turn it into worship of whoever the current "Disney" teen is on the DisneyChannel. At that price point for a membership, I don't think children or teens are your target market, right?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing what they do in this one-year trial period.

We have an MP3 recording of this afternoon's conference call/press event at .visionsfantastic.com (I'd rather not post a direct link to the MP3, but you can easily find it on VF, and you don't have to be a member of VF to listen to it). Al Lutz asks a question, along with other Disney webmasters from Jim Hill Media, Laughingplace and Mouseplanet.
    Last edited by NeverNeverland; 03-10-2009 at 05:12 PM. Reason: link removed

• Munchings & Crunchings

Dr. G. summed up my reasoning. If after a year, I'm not impressed, I just won't renew. I'll give them a while to ramp up, and see what happens. The magazine looks much nicer than the typical one, and is more in line with art "magazines" that are even more expensive, so I can see why Disney is charging what they are...still, t's more than most people think of paying for a magazine.

We'll just see how this all plays out, and f Disney gets enough interest. It could turn out very well and some great stuff will come out of it, or it could end up like the Disney Insider Yearbook (which I have a copy of also...).

• Quality not quantity

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. G View Post
    I'm excited for it and will try it for a year--I signed up. I'm surprised people would think Disney has blown this already? I don't think online fan sites have to fear this.

If Disney hasn't "wow"ed me after a year, they don't get any more of my membership money. People will see through it very quickly if it's just a way to get more money out of us without providing value. I'm looking forward to getting the first issue of the magazine. At $15.95 each that's $63.80 for the year so the membership wasn't too much more. Of course, $15.95 is a lot of money for one issue of a magazine so it had better be good.

And Disney, since it's obvious you are reading this thread (quotes were pulled right out of here for their webpage), here's my opinion for what it's worth. Focus on Disney Parks, Walt Disney, Disney movies, things that people associate with the name "Disney". I know you guys own ABC, ESPN, and studio labels that sell movies that are completely inappropriate for families. I don't associate that with the name "Disney"--please don't take your focus there or you'll lose us. I also hope you don't turn it into worship of whoever the current "Disney" teen is on the DisneyChannel. At that price point for a membership, I don't think children or teens are your target market, right?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing what they do in this one-year trial period.
    If it works for you and others, more power to you. I just don't see where it makes sense. Without membership you can get all the potentially interesting web content and you can still attend the Convention (without the unspecified discount).

All you seem to loose by not being a member is shopping rights. Rather like a high end Costco (DisCo?). For me about all I ever purchase are a few Ozawliski pieces so the price to benefit ratio looks to be on the wrong side.

(Yeah, I know. I butcherd O's name. I never remember how that's spelled)
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SnorkletsMom View Post
    Well, I'm...disappointed. It really IS just a way to gouge some more money out of die-hard Disney fans. And of course, a way to sort of separate the sheep from the goats.
    The magazine is pretty good, and I am sure I will at least buy that. I don't know if I'll join the club, really there aren't a lot of perks, are there? The opportunity to buy $800+ pens isn't something I need or want. The Disney Expo will be open to anyone and I imagine it's just another merchandising event anyway.
    As for the website...honestly, I don't see Disney allowing the frank discussions we have here on any 'official' site. So it's just a place to get press releases from the company.
    Pretty much my thinking. I may join just for the year to get the charter stuff as collector items to pass down to my grandkids (if/when I have them), but other than that I see no advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonliner View Post
    I've read this thread

I've visited the 23 website

I read what they have to offer

I can say unequivocally, No. I am not 23.

Micechat Gold on the other hand.....
    We love us and the members of THIS community that make us what we are!!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

If it works for you and others, more power to you. I just don't see where it makes sense. Without membership you can get all the potentially interesting web content and you can still attend the Convention (without the unspecified discount).

All you seem to loose by not being a member is shopping rights. Rather like a high end Costco (DisCo?). For me about all I ever purchase are a few Ozawliski pieces so the price to benefit ratio looks to be on the wrong side.

(Yeah, I know. I butcherd O's name. I never remember how that's spelled)
    I agree that it will be interesting to see what additional benefits there are. I would buy the magazines for a year anyway to try it out, so I'm spending a little over $11 to get whatever "extras" there are. If it's just shopping benefits without discounts on stuff I want, I'm not interested in memberships for the future. If the shopping benefits provide significant discounts like Costco can (you have to be careful there since not everything is a deal--just like Disney), then maybe it'll be worth it to me. I buy Olszewski's too, but I already get a 10% Disney Visa discount so a D23 discount would have to be larger than that to be of any shopping benefit.

There's a gift coming but I have no idea what that will be worth. There's a certificate that isn't worth much to me at all, if anything. There's a discount to the convention, if I'm even able to go--I live out of state-- that I likely won't get a benefit from. I've booked a hotel room just in case, but the convention info will have to be "knock-your-socks-off" good stuff or I'll cancel it.

So, yeah, I'm not sure if the $11 extra is worth it or not yet, but I was willing to gamble it. It'll be interesting to see how many others do too. There will certainly be different points of view on this, as we've already seen. Nice thing is each person can do what fits for them.

Please don't mess this up Disney.... (yes, I'm still mad you took Vault Disney off the air and replaced it with generally (not always) lower quality teen stuff)
    Last edited by Dr. G; 03-10-2009 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Fix spelling

• Still lost in Neverland

Nope. Too expensive and the Exclusive Merchandise is also priced way high. It's going to be tough enough to get a new AP even paying my the month. So anything like this is just icing and I don't need it or the cake.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

I have another question: Anyone think these D23 folks (i.e. Disney) are the ones who purchased The E-Ticket Magazine? I'm still sad that went away. Follow that concept and quality, D23 people, and you may get a bunch of fans. Yeah, I'm hoping for a real Park-emphasis on this D23 stuff.

• Quality not quantity

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. G View Post
    I agree that it will be interesting to see what additional benefits there are. I would buy the magazines for a year anyway to try it out, so I'm spending a little over $11 to get whatever "extras" there are. If it's just shopping benefits without discounts on stuff I want, I'm not interested in memberships for the future. If the shopping benefits provide significant discounts like Costco can (you have to be careful there since not everything is a deal--just like Disney), then maybe it'll be worth it to me. I buy Olszewski's too, but I already get a 10% Disney Visa discount so a D23 discount would have to be larger than that to be of any shopping benefit.

There's a gift coming but I have no idea what thaty will be worth. There's a certificate that isn't worth much to me at all, if anything. There's a discount to the convention, if I'm even able to go--I live out of state-- that I likely won't get a benefit from. I've booked a hotel room just in case, but the convention info will have to be "knock-your-socks-off" good stuff or I'll cancel it.

So, yeah, I'm not sure if the $11 extra is worth it or not yet, but I was willing to gamble it. It'll be interesting to see how many others do too. There will certainly be different points of view on this, as we've already seen. Nice thing is each person can do what fits for them.

Please don't mess this up Disney.... (yes, I'm still mad you took Vault Disney off the air and replaced it with generally (not always) lower quality teen stuff)
    D23 exclusives are already showing up on Ebay. If you join today, you might want to pick up a load of the "Launch Day" T-shirts that are sure to be in demand since you can only get them today....
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

D23 exclusives are already showing up on Ebay. If you join today, you might want to pick up a load of the "Launch Day" T-shirts that are sure to be in demand since you can only get them today....
    Yeah, D23 is off to a dumb start in my opinion on the merchandise. I agree completely with your There is no way I'm paying $25 for a T-shirt that says "D23" on it. Why would people pay more than that on ebay? If they are trying to create an exclusive club, I think they are barking up the wrong tree. Here's a quote from the merchandise page:

"Ultimately, what all involved in D23 merchandise hope for the line is that they are as well loved by members as their own thoughts and memories of Disney. "Our goal is to make these items so special that the members who purchase them will cherish them forever, just like they do with the Disney films and attractions that inspired them," says Becky Cline, manager, Walt Disney Archives. "We want them to look and feel like you have a little bit of Disney history right in your own hand!"

Um, I don't think I'll be cherishing the three symbols "D23" as much as the Disney characters or attractions. Why have a "D23" shirt when I can have one with Mickey? Better yet, why won't Disney sell me a sweatshirt with the Brer characters on it????? Now, if they are referring to merchandise with Disney characters and attractions (and not "D23") on it, we'll have to see....

Anyway, sounds like we're in the same boat on the merchandise aspect. Aren't the Olszewski's awesome?!?

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

I posted this in another thread in the Disneyland Forum but it seems pretty appropriate for this new venture from Disney...

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• All-American

I'm considering it just because I enjoyed the original Disney Magazine so much

It is like the Disney Magazine, isn't it?

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 ... LastLast