Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516 ... LastLast

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: Are You 23 - Disney Campaign - What is it? (Merged)

Meh.

Mice Chat is 100 times better. Plus it's free.

• Banned User

did I read it right? Did it say 75.00 to join? What a pathetic fan group. I know there are morons out there who are willing to pay that money for a fan group. You just don't create something like this for no reason. Only 4 issues a year? For 75 bucks I better get more than just 4 issues of whats probably a 10 page magazine. I know the AP magazine only comes out 4 times a year, but an anual pass isn't an "exclusive" disney fan website. I hope this flops, I hope nobody joins or signs up, and I hope Disney fails. This is terrible, is this an effort to keep up with MiceChat? Is that what this is? Is this an attempt to create some competition for MiceChat? If it is, it's pathetic. MiceChat is free, MiceChat is bigger, MiceChat is just plainly a better online fan community. I hope Disney reads this, and I hope they take the fan site and shove it. I'm mad not because of them creating an online fan based community, but because they think you need to pay 75 bucks, if Disney really appreciated us, they wouldn't charge 75 bucks, it just shows their loyalty to us

• Distant Disneylandaholic

Well, I guess you'll have to count me as one of the "morons" for now. In a year I'll be able to tell you if you were right or not

I'm surprised at how many are taking this D23 thing as a direct attack against MiceChat, MousePlanet, LaughingPlace, etc. I don't see those sites having anything to fear, but I could be wrong I guess...

Personally I believe MiceChat/MiceAge and all Disney fan sites deserve this. There is no way that Disney can compete with all the Disney fan sites including MiceChat/MiceAge, but it's the right decision to try. Mostly everything anyone says on here is negative (including myself!!). I mean come on, everyone knows Al hates the changes to "it's a small world". An he clearly states that in all his articles and daily headlines. He also kept saying the celebration thingy on Main Street is hideous, it belongs in Disney World, ect. I mean he had like three headlines stating that (we get the point: YOU DONT LIKE IT). He also broke the news about the DCA remake.

So between all that he has said over the years (including his updates), Disney is pissed off. So it would only make sense that they try to take a direct stab at this site. An quite frankly, it looks like it's sending the operators of this site into a tizzy. Did you see all the " Are you 23,000?" ads running around on THIS site? Or how about how many times Dustysage posted negatively under his own topic about this subject? All I'm saying is that you can't get mad at Disney for trying to do something similar. They are trying to improve their image with their fans. They own most of the subject matter we talk about anyway. An as far as the the price to join, I bet they feel were the idiots who pay $70 to get into their parks (im guilty too!), whats $75 more for an official Disney club membership to us "Disney Fans"? It makes a lot of sense.

An just so I dont get beat up about this, I believe it will never work. MiceChat just gives too much "behind the scenes" info that Disney would never dare say. So I won't be joining D23 but you can't get mad at Disney for what they are trying to do.
    Last edited by TIS17; 03-10-2009 at 03:29 PM.

• You looking at me?

Cool Re: Are You 23 - Disney Campaign - What is it? (Merged)

Moron #2 Here:

Just joined the Disney 23 Fan Club as a Charter Member. You know, whenever Disney has rolled out one of these membership only campaigns in the past I was always sorry I didn't get on board at launch. I decided not to let this one get by me. As far at the cost goes, I'm sure that like the AP it will mostly pay for itself through discounts and freebees.
    Last edited by ontheroad; 03-10-2009 at 08:41 PM.
    "Nemo! Get to Nemo!"

• MiceChat Moderator
    • ♠ Pirate Wizard ♠

Blog Entries

Moron #3 reporting for duty.

It kind of reminds for the magic kingdom gold card days. At least Disney is doing soomething for their fans. For me I think it compliments mice chat. It doesnt take anything away from mice chat. Sure it my have a lot of promotional stuff but I'll tell ya what, the disneyland official podcast was one of my favorite. sometimes official material is actually enjoyable and you can't find it anywhere else. And hey, if its stinks then i wont renew. and yes yes im sure someone will scan it and share it out for free, but i prefer to have my own in issue in hand. plus i love reading mags on can
    You can never run out of imagination. The more you use, the more you gain.

Quote Originally Posted by orbitalpunk View Post
    Moron #3 reporting for duty.
    hahahaha!!

If there is one more source for information and occassionally some of it is good/interesting/worthwhile then that is great. I am sure many on this site don't just visit MiceAge/MiceChat but rather read postings on many other sites. Big deal.

I am interested in seeing the publication. I am going to check it out at B&N tonite. If it looks decent then I will sign up for a year. The incremental cost over a 1 year subscription is $11.00. If they lean heavily on the Disney Archives and such, the publication could be a real keeper. Time will tell.

Should MA/MC be threatened... no. Does everyone need to freak out and condemn, I don't see why.
    The Mur

My $.02 (yes, I just bought 1/3750th of a membership)

I got the magazine from as a tip from jedimaster and as far as I know I was the first to leak photos of the magazine (especially the Annie Leibovitz photo which I think caused Disney to release it themselves on Monday) and write a full review of my take on it.

Personally, I think for what it is, the magazine is worth $16. But you can go to Barnes & Noble and browse for yourself (incidentally, B&N is the only place outside Disney that will sell it).

Now that is $64 per year as it's been pointed out, making a $11 difference. So the real question is if you'd be willing to pay for the magazine (and obviously some won't be), is it not worth the $11 more to close the deal?

Add to that the exclusive surprise collectible from the Walt Disney Archives Collection (which all we know right now is not a pin) and the other opportunities membership gets you (for more examples, see link below) and I think it's a modest investment, even if you don't make it to D23 Expo.

Anyway, I was on the press call too and rushed out an article summarizing all the new stuff that was covered (and there was plenty of it), so it may help to answer more questions.

You can access that article at D23 | StitchKingdom.com if interested.

ETA: and FWIW, Marty Sklar was adamant that D23 is not meant to be a channel to sell things and both he and Dave Smith expressed a strong sentiment that they want groups like the NFFC to co-exist peacefully. But facing facts, the key selling point to D23 is they have direct access to Disney inside information (at least that which they want to release and they were surprisingly generous in the magazine to some extent) and that's the draw for me. It would be suicide for them to turn a cold shoulder to other fan based communities since the whole point is to nurture their relationships with the fans, not alienate them.

• Directly directed

I just don't see the point. It's like they don't know we've already got micechat.

I can't even begin to tell you what a terrible idea this is. For those who felt that they just HAD to join on the first day to get in on the ground floor, bear in mind that Disney now makes collectibles to be ... well ... collectibles. They try to create a market, there's nothing unqiue at all about them.

Sixteen bucks for a magazine? Does it vacuum and do dishes? Please tell me there's something truly extroardinary about the contents, such as the secret location of Walt Disney's treasure, and that it's not a lot of stories and history that MiceChat and other Disney fans have heard about over and over and over through the years?

This is not Disney "giving back" to fans. It's Disney taking more money from suckers. Last month, Disney destroyed "it's a small world," this month they claim to be honoring Walt Disney? HUH? No, today's Disney exists with the single-minded determination to squeeze its mouse-glove ever tighter on your wallet, to see just how much it can wring out of you. For $75, you get a nice-looking magazine, some tchotchkes, a piece of paper with Mickey Mouse's "signature," and the honor, the privilege, the unique opportunity to be the first to SPEND MORE MONEY! Yes, Disney is now charging you for the right to charge you.

Where does this end? When do Disney fans say enough is enough? Bring back Vault Disney. Bring back the Swiss Family Treehouse. Restore Tomorrowland. Revive the Main Street Cinema. Take out the Sorcerer's Hat from the Studios. Do something that is truly creative and exciting ... not a crass, cynical marketing ploy to trade on the good will of people who used to believe in the dream.

Quote Originally Posted by bradk View Post
    nurture their relationships with the fans, not alienate them.
    Huh? Since when has Disney nurtured relationships with fans? When it got rid of Vault Disney? When it transformed the theme parks into Pixar-ville? When it charges 100 bucks to attend an "exclusive" merchandise-buying event? When it creates a myriad of "collectibles" that it wants you to spend a fortune buying? When it raises park prices? When it effectively dismantles its Guest Relations function? When it closes the Disney Gallery in order to have a "dream suite" that's now used by executives? When it completely dismisses their concerns about the abhorrent treatment of "it's a small world" and "Tom Sawyer's Island"? When it holds a 25th anniversary "event" for EPCOT because so many fans have pointed out Disney's hypocrisy? When it sells off the Disney Store, then repurchases it, blowing shareholder value? When it awards Bob Iger tens of millions of dollars for mismanagement?

Disney doesn't give a damn about its fans, unless it smells a way to get more money out of them.

I hope, hope, hope this doesn't work for them.

Quote Originally Posted by TIS17 View Post
    An quite frankly, it looks like it's sending the operators of this site into a tizzy. Did you see all the " Are you 23,000?" ads running around on THIS site? Or how about how many times Dustysage posted negatively under his own topic about this subject?
    I noticed this too and it made me chuckle. I just really don't see how an official, Disney-sponsored website can fill the same niche that the fan-based, fan-run websites fill. Candid comments from fans on an official website? I doubt it. I don't know Dusty, Al or anyone else who runs this site and they don't know me, but they certainly seem to be panicking. For what it's worth Al, Dusty and Co, I don't think you need to worry. You've built a great site here with lots of support from a broad base of "23,000+".

Now, if you look around at all the things that are free on the new website it's quite impressive. Lots of cool stuff and I really haven't even scratched the surface yet. So, here' my prediction--remember you heard it here first : D23's website will provide lots of cool info that Disney fans will read and enjoy, and then go to MiceChat, MousePlanet, LaughingPlace, etc. to discuss and argue over

I do wonder if D23 will facilitate Disney events NOT in Anaheim or Orlando. Here's an idea for you Disney Suits reading this: How about screenings of "UP" in various parts of the country? If there are enough of us D23'ers in another State, for example, will you show it to us too?

One more plug for the Disney Merchandise/D23 folks reading this, and this is purely selfish and may not represent anyone else's desires: can you bring back the Avanzino DisneyLAND shadowboxes so I can finish my collection? I still need NOS, Toontown, Critter Country, and Tomorrowland. Thanks in advance

The more I think about it, I wonder if D23 folks did buy up The E-Ticket?

Quote Originally Posted by EC82 View Post
    Do something that is truly creative and exciting ... not a crass, cynical marketing ploy to trade on the good will of people who used to believe in the dream.
    I like this statement. I admit that in my mind "Disney" does not automatically mean "quality" anymore. Two examples right off the top. First, we bought a Mickey Mouse soap dispenser through DisneyShopping.com. It was not well-made and broke within weeks. So, we bought a cheap Walmart one (without Mickey on it) to replace it and it has worked great for a long time. Second, have you seen the quality of the animation on newer cartoons on the Disney Channel? It may as well be the Cartoon Network. Walt Disney, his Nine Old Men, and anyone else involved in early Disney animation must be crying. Now the major animation movies are still generally good (especially Pixar stuff). But you look at the quality of all the shorts done by Walt & Company back in the day and the quality was good. Not cheap like today's shorts and TV spots.

I hear one of the signs of old age is that you start telling everyone how good things used to be. So, I'm now in that group I suppose (and I'm only 40). Again, D23 people, I'm hoping that magazine is quality when it arrives, that the Expo is quality (I hope to go), and if you're going to sell me merchandise it better not be cheap stuff that breaks and is replaceable at Walmart prices. I don't automatically equate "Disney" with "quality" anymore. Well, enough "soap box". I am still excited about the potential of D23.

• Knows Where His Towel Is

Huh. Looks like this is a new low for Disney. Fleecing fans who dedicate their lives to you? What are you thinking of, Mr. Iger?

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516 ... LastLast