Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 411121314151617 ... LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Re: Are You 23 - Disney Campaign - What is it? (Merged)

Did anyone else get any of the D23 character promotional buttons today at the DLR?

We got:

Mickey - Made for you and me

Dopey - Speechless

Mad Hatter - Your cup of tea

Abu - Wish granted

Mike - Eye-opening

Also spotted at Jiminy Cricket on the way out
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

OK. I'd like to be fair here. I was initially VERY upset and concerned about this campaign. 1st, it felt like an attack to me. Like Disney was trying to edge in on what the fan sites like MiceChat and the NFFC do. But seeing their site, I know that they aren't really doing what we do. The interactive forum aspect of what we do is very much unique to us and would be VERY difficult for Disney to pull off. I was also ticked off about the high price tag in this difficult economy.

However, I've had some time to spend on the new site and I've got to say that I like it. There is a lot of REALLY good information there and some neat features from the archives. That part of the site is all FREE. So you don't need to buy the $75 membership to view all the great content on D23.

That having been said, I think it was a mistake for them to forgo the ads and charge an exorbitant $75 for what amounts to a magazine and some access to merchandise and special events. I think they could very easily have sold ads to various parts of the Disney company (Consumer products, parks, films, Adventures by Disney, Travel, Cruise line, Vacation Club, etc) and brought the price down to the more reasonable $24.95 - $49.95 range.

I'm giving it a lot of thought but I think I'll actually sign up for D23 tonight and give it a try for a year. I can't afford anything that they are selling, but I really want to support the continued access to the Disney Archives and Imagineering. We really haven't seen stuff like this since Vault Disney was taken off the air.

And that's my evolving opinion on the matter.

-Dusty
    MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Write it off as a business expense, research.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    Write it off as a business expense, research.
    That is a brilliant idea.
    MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

• You looking at me?

Lightbulb Re: Are You 23 - Disney Campaign - What is it? (Merged)

Quote Originally Posted by The Disneylander View Post
    Huh. Looks like this is a new low for Disney. Fleecing fans who dedicate their lives to you? What are you thinking of, Mr. Iger?
    "Dedicate their lives to you?" I don't dedicate my life to Disney; I'm just a fan. And I am of the mind that something isn't necessarily a rip-off just because there is a price tag affixed to it. I don't mind spending a little more for good theatre seats rather than waiting for it come out on TV. I don't mind splurging at the Grand Californian every once in a while, even though the Costco-ettes never stop howling about what a waste of cash it is. And when I finally get to the top of the waiting list for Club 33, I'll fork over the 10K initiation fee with a smile on my face. I'm not a snob, but I'm not a hillbilly either. I'll gladly pay a premium for something I want; but that doesn't mean I waste my money either. If you don't want to spend the bucks to join the club, then don't. Your "Down with Disney" attitude and viral negativity haven't changed my mind. If anything it's only convinced me that I, like many who actually still charish what Disney means to us, have made the right choice.
    "Nemo! Get to Nemo!"

I bought the membership for the magazine. It looks interesting and well-done in my opinion.

I'm not sure why the MiceAge - MiceChat owners/workers are up in arms over this club and community. Can't we all get along? Hardcore Disney enthusiasts have room for many, many sources of information, some better than others. I don't know why some want to slam this new endeavor for its cost and "timing considering the economy", all the while subjecting us to online advertising, asking for donations and hoping we'll all go MiceChat Gold for $15 per year.

I mean, nothing is really free is it?
    Permanecer sentado por favor...

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyandme67 View Post
    I'm not sure why the MiceAge - MiceChat owners/workers are up in arms over this club and community. Can't we all get along?
    I explained my concerns above. Now that I have had a chance to spend some time on the D23 site, I actually do like it. Please read my post above.

However, I'm still shocked by the hefty price tag.

As for the "Can't we all get along" comment. We would LOVE to have Disney recognize our existence and put a link to fan sites like MiceChat on D23. As it is, we generate tons of traffic and interest in Disney and their merchandise, parks, and events. But Disney shows us very little love in return - actually throwing up roadblocks at times. We aren't the enemy here. We are just people with opinions. And that scares some people.

-Dusty

Find us on Facebook:

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Right now it is in my opinion, nothing more than a marketing ploy by Disney to gather eyeballs and pocket books by dangling a carrot of something not everyone will/can/want to have. I will never be able to be a member of Club 33, but for a few bucks I can be a card carrying member of D23!! And I think Disney is using some psychology in some respect with the ramp up to the club, and the very naming of it. Yes $75 is a lot of money right now for a lot of people, but Disney knows that die hard fans will pay anything to be a part of something, something maybe even a bit exclusive, just because it has the Disney name attached to it and they can sign up.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    OK. I'd like to be fair here. I was initially VERY upset and concerned about this campaign. 1st, it felt like an attack to me. Like Disney was trying to edge in on what the fan sites like MiceChat and the NFFC do. But seeing their site, I know that they aren't really doing what we do. The interactive forum aspect of what we do is very much unique to us and would be VERY difficult for Disney to pull off. I was also ticked off about the high price tag in this difficult economy.

However, I've had some time to spend on the new site and I've got to say that I like it. There is a lot of REALLY good information there and some neat features from the archives. That part of the site is all FREE. So you don't need to buy the $75 membership to view all the great content on D23.

That having been said, I think it was a mistake for them to forgo the ads and charge an exorbitant $75 for what amounts to a magazine and some access to merchandise and special events. I think they could very easily have sold ads to various parts of the Disney company (Consumer products, parks, films, Adventures by Disney, Travel, Cruise line, Vacation Club, etc) and brought the price down to the more reasonable $24.95 - $49.95 range.

I'm giving it a lot of thought but I think I'll actually sign up for D23 tonight and give it a try for a year. I can't afford anything that they are selling, but I really want to support the continued access to the Disney Archives and Imagineering. We really haven't seen stuff like this since Vault Disney was taken off the air.

And that's my evolving opinion on the matter.

-Dusty
    I completely Agree with you. Maybe they just wanted to appeal to us. I'm not sure if this is what their intentions are but they do offer a lot for free, plus you can order the magazine at your own will.

I think that their idea is pretty far from MiceChat and I don't think they intend to put sites out of business.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

When something new like this comes along it always takes some time for the dust to settle and to be able to see what is really going on. Disney on purpose had a lot of "mystery" to all of this D23 stuff ahead of time to build up the interest in it. There was a lot of speculation exactly what all this D23 thing would be and what it would mean to the online community.

Now that its been available for a few hours, more of us have had a chance to actually look over the product, see what is there and what potential there might be. Still, this is going to be a work in progress for Disney, and only time will tell if enough people jump on the D23 bandwagon and stay there to keep it alive.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

I'm also curious to how long this will last. Is it a ploy to get into our wallets?, probably, but I think their trying to get in sync with people like us. They Probably will realize that adding ads to the magazines would allow them to lower the price. Since this thing is only a couple of hours old, they still have a lot of time to start working this whole thing into a shape that appeals to everyone.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• When Will It Return?

Re: Are You 23/ D23 - Disney Campaign - What is it? (Merged)

I wonder how long until the free D23 Membership schemes start coming down...

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

I looked for the premier issue at Borders and a few other places and couldn't find it. So I cried 'uncle' (Walt?) and paid for a membership. Give it a year, see if it actually has anything worthwhile, and if they are still putting any effort into it at the end of the year.

• Sock Puppet

We just signed up for the membership.

Let the party begin!

You know, you don't have to become a member to get the magazine, they allow you to purchase it online individually.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 411121314151617 ... LastLast