Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 512131415161718 ... LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Re: Are You 23/ D23 - Disney Campaign - What is it? (Merged)

As the debate rages on, I've posted excerpts from today's press conference call, including comments from Dave Smith, Marty Sklar and D23 head honcho Steven Clark:

http://micechat.com/forums/industry-...ml#post3486725

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Re: Are You 23/ D23 - Disney Campaign - What is it? (Merged)

Quote Originally Posted by SnorkletsMom View Post
    I looked for the premier issue at Borders and a few other places and couldn't find it. So I cried 'uncle' (Walt?) and paid for a membership. Give it a year, see if it actually has anything worthwhile, and if they are still putting any effort into it at the end of the year.
    Per Disney's press release, Barnes & Noble is the only non-Disney retailer selling the magazine. I was disappointed tonight, however, that my local B&N not only didn't have it in stock, but they had no idea what it was or when it might show up. Bad form.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Re: Are You 23 / D23 - Disney Campaign - What is it?

A lot of thoughts on several different aspects of D23 -

I purchased the 1st issue of D23 at one of my local Disney Stores, that is still open. One was on display that I browsed through .

+ Very nice magazine. no advertisements. Much more professional looking than what 99% of the other magazines look like. Nice variety of article and pictures. Yes, the contents will interest Disney fans.

With the old Disney Magazine, which was discontinued 4 years ago, THAT was more of a magazine, and there were tons of advertisements, BUT even the ads were something that interested me. Loved the behind the scenes aspects of the magazine. And I did really like having it in a magazine form, to carry around, browse through at my leisure, and I usually ended up reading it from cover to cover, not just skimming through it. I loved that Disney offered it to all guests who stayed in Disney hotels. It was always a nice little greeting, even if I had already seen the magazine, and it really was a great way for Disney to cross promote itself - even blatantly. And that was ok, because it was a Disney magazine. And it was a Great extra, to recieve as a bonus for being an annual passholder!

The new D23 magazine has taken off the Mickey Mouse T-shirt and put on a pricey tuxedo, designer dress, and all accessories. What used to be a friendly magazine that every member of the family would be able to browse through, is now an an oversized photograph program booklette that comes in a plastic sleeve, and has a look of something that you would purchase at a broadway show. Ok, the pages aren't that thick, BUT it does have a look to it that "you better put on some white gloves" (and I'm not talking Mickey Mitts) before you take that magazine out of it's plastic wrap.

Now, I do understand that one of the complaints of the old Disney Magazine used to be "There's nothing but advertisements". I agree that there were several advertisements, BUT I never faulted the magazine for too many ads. Well, Disney must have taken that into consideration in creating this new magazine. BUT that was a BIG mistake. Without the ads, the price per issue skyrocketed.

I'd much rather have something I don't have to handle with gloves. I like a more people friendly type magazine, than an oversized picture book that would be better in a hard cover book format. D23 really looks like one of those bulky coffee table books, but with a soft cover. AND you don't dare bend the pages!!! And yes, although there aren't an excessive number of pages, it's large size is rather bulky and too large. I can't imagine that it will fit very nicely in anyones mailboxes. It would certainly need to be folded or bent, in order to place it in most boxes. That size of a magazine isn't going to go through the mail system without getting some bends and creases, etc. And for a $16 per issue - my magazines better get to my mailbox in pristine condition ~ and THAT is not likely to happen.

So WHY would i want to spend the 75 bucks for something to be delivered and get beat up through the US mail, instead of picking up an unblemished copy at my local Disney Store? I really don't want to. However, a little bird mentioned to me that there may be a way in the future, that you MIGHT be able to subscribe, and pick up your copy at your local store ~ THAT little system has NOT been set up, as of now, and it is only a possibility for the future - nothing that they can offer that this time.

Ok, well those were just the 1st few thoughts that came to my mind, as I was paging throught the sample copy at The Disney Store.

When I got home, I had to check out the online site - somehow I ended up at the D23 section of Disney Shopping . com. The four items up for sale.

1. The D23 $75 membership

2. The lame, t-shirt with the errant question on it.

3. A Walt and Oswald WDCC piece - which looks rather nice, and it is priced in line with what many of the WDCC pieces are priced at.

4. A Pen - exclusive for D23, a rollerball pen with screw on top, limited edition of 1901, with what I can only presume, MUST be some sort of multi digit pricing error. OR an early April Fool's joke, showing the price of this pen as $849.95. Or maybe that's that price for ALL 1,901 pens.

Obviously, someone in Disney Merchandising doesn't have their own "top" screwed on tight, either. $849.95?!?!?!? for a pen?!?!?!?!? Even if the D23 membership gave me a 90% discount on that pen, I wouldn't by it.

I finally made it to the D23 sight, and it looks ok. Not sure how it will evolve over time, and I will certainly need to take a little time to explore it further, before I can form an opinion about it.

The "other" D23 benefits ~ unfortunately that is a mystery. Will it really have ANY type of benefits for me? Who knows. Only time, and disney will tell.

Oh, browsing the Disney Shopping D23 Section, there are a few other items, if you can't afford an $850 Black Pen, there is a relatively inexpensive white one for $300.

• Minion

Ok. Here is what I have to say.

In some ways, D23 seems like a bad joke, Iger.

But in other ways, it's not inherently a bad idea.

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong in having you build a Club 33 for the common man, especially for those who can't make it to a park.

Only, thing is "D23" sounds a lot less cool.

And I get this feeling in the pit of my stomach that if I pay the $75, I'd feel like a chump.

But if you compare this to the Disney Chase Credit Card I seem to get from the company... D23 seems a lot more attractive way to express my fandom than a credit card.

The problem is I don't see the value... Especially, in this market where people are afraid of losing their jobs, their homes, their retirement.

I'd rather take that $75 bucks and buy 3 shares of DIS, take $10 upgrade to MiceChat gold, and spend the rest on some fresh hand churned ice cream.

No Iger, I think you can sweeten the deal a little. JIMHO.

Re: Are You 23 - Disney Campaign - What is it? (Merged)

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    I'm also curious to how long this will last. Is it a ploy to get into our wallets?, probably, but I think their trying to get in sync with people like us. They Probably will realize that adding ads to the magazines would allow them to lower the price. Since this thing is only a couple of hours old, they still have a lot of time to start working this whole thing into a shape that appeals to everyone.
    Of course this an effort to get into our wallets. The question is whether we think it is worthwhile. Disney had an incredible amount of intellectual property and the business has to find ways to "exploit" these assets. It seems great that quite a bit of the content is available to everyone. If you want to spend more by purchasing the magazine then so be it. And if you want it all, get that credit card out for the $75.

I like the idea of an add free, high end "magazine." Definitely seems like more of a collectible than a consumable. People didn't gripe that the E Ticket Magazine didn't have ads and it could have been described as expensive to some people. However, I have every issue of that magazine that I have purchased and unfortunately if I actually want to try to buy missing issues they are extremely expensive.

I listened to the mp3 of the conference call. I am hopeful that this could be a very nice addition.
    The Mur

• GO DBACKS!!

The boutique also has some gold initial embossed stationary for $20. Twenty pieces which means 10 cards and 10 foiled envelopes, about the same price as a greeting card but looks classy to me. There's also some dinner wear and glass wear that seem to be of average price. So it's not all $300 pens and $1200 cels.

It wasn't me, it was Lisa!

• A Weather Eye Open

well, there are a lot of disney fans out there who might like this and have extra money to blow on it even if it's not a very substantial thing you're buying (eg, no info you couldn't get on micechat).

but i personally speak to disney with my wallet and only buy things that I fully enjoy. I buy my AP, I buy the food that I think is quality value in the park, and if I have extra money and see a piece of merchandise that I think is classy or fun, I'll think about buying it. But as far as other things go, like clubs or events, I'm going to be very discerning. There are so many other things I'd ask of disney (for me to buy or participate in) before I asked for a club like this!
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound View Post
    I'd rather take that $75 bucks and buy 3 shares of DIS, take $10 upgrade to MiceChat gold, and spend the rest on some fresh hand churned ice cream.
    Those are my sentiments exactly! (Although my extra money would be spent at the Uva Bar on a martini)

I'm afraid Disney has really bombed with this whole D23 debacle. It reminds me of Light Magic, with all the hype that preceded it, and all the disapointment that was created by it.

Why should I join? From what I understand, the three major elements to this 75 dollar fan club are the following;

• An "opportunity" to buy overpriced collectible dust collectors to sit on a shelf and collect dust
    • A glossy, upscale version of Disney Magazine that is also available at my local Barnes & Noble
    • A tiny discount on tickets to a Disney nerd convention in Anaheim in September
    I can buy precious, limited-edition, hand-crafted, overpriced dust collectors on Ebay or at the Disneyana store on Main Street. I don't need to belong to a club to do that.

I can also buy the D23 magazine at Barnes & Noble, on the same trip that I get my quarterly edition of Atomic Ranch magazine. And all of the info contained therein has been hashed and rehashed on the Internet for years.

And finally, I've been a Disney nerd on my own for a couple of decades, so I don't need a fan club to brand me as such. If I do choose to go to this D23 Expo thingy this September, I'll just have to soak up the pitiful 6 dollar discount I would have received off the regular Expo ticket price.

So tell me again why I should join D23 and pay Disney for the privelege of enjoying their products??? In the worst recession since World War II? When every major product of this club is already available cheaper online or at my local mall?

I think Disney just bombed with their D23 thing. And unless Disney does a major retooling of the concept and adds in a LOT MORE offerings for club members, this is going to go the way of the "collectible" Disney Yearbook that only lasted... one year.

Something tells me, barring major restructuring and revamping, D23 won't be around in 18 months.

Well, speaking for myself, I just balked at the concept: paying x amount to buy more product. In this economy, that just doesn't make sense to me. As it is, my money goes to the DVDs and the Olszewski (yes, that is how you spell it) Disneyland pieces. That's as much as Disney is getting out of me these days.

No, not bitter. No, not anti-Disney. Just trying to pay my way through college and getting my degree. When I'm a teacher, the economy is good again and am married and have a couple thousand socked away, I may revisit this, but right now? Not a chance.

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

Here's an idea, but a bit forward in its thinking... I will join D23, if in November, it guarantees me the right to purchase tickets for the Candlelight Procession of Disneyland, in a way that is free from the nightmare process that has been in place the past few years. I would like to see a special dining package reserved for D23 members, available at least two weeks BEFORE tickets go in sale to the general public. Throw us a bone here, ye simian denizens of the TDA and Burbank monkey hordes!

I use to like reading MiceAge but now almost everyone has become just whinny little snots. What a surprise that the whole D23 thing hasn't lived up to expectations of ANYONE. It costs too much. It doesn't offer enough. I want extra extra special privileges. It's lame. Blah, blah, blah. Here's a clue people: it wasn't created or designed for rapid complaining "fans" who live within a 50 mile radius of Disneyland. And before anyone accuses me of being a Disney stooge, I don't work for Disney, I've never worked for Disney, and I don't live anywhere near either of the parks. I'm just an everyday garden variety fan who fianlly just got sick of seeing all the bs that this site offers. Fortunately like the "fans" that won't be joining D23 of buying the magazine I have the option as well to get my Disney information from a wide variety of sources.

• Munchings & Crunchings

"I know there are morons out there who are willing to pay that money for a fan group."

Yeah, thanks for that...count me among the morons then. I've decided to give it a chance, so what? Don't like it, don't buy it! It's that simple, but don't insult those who may decide otherwise.

As for the worry about Disney edging out the competition, I think it's unfounded. I think Disney is entering the ring, but not directly competing with the online fan-sites. For one thing, they don't have a discussion forum, and I doubt they will. The one thing they do have, and the fan-sites have had limited access too, is the company itself. Who better to dig into the archives than Disney itself? I just see this as an outlet to give fans access to insider company information that fan-sites have tried to for years. I don't see it quite as cynically as a lot of you here do. Now, if the club is not what I expect after the membership year, then I just won't renew, but for now, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. Plus, I did find some interesting information on the D23 site, that even as a Disney fan, I didn't know.

I joined too Gurgi. I am not a rich man by any means. Just had some extra from my tax refund. I bought the membership and a pin. The price is very high, but have you seen the price for a room at the GCH or even the DL Hotel? People are willing to pay for Disney. (BTW I just bought a bunch of stock with my tax refund as well, so buy up LOL).

• Distant Disneylandaholic

Glad to see the ranks of us "morons" is growing. I admit I've been surprised at the negative backlash to Disney offering this. If people don't like it, don't buy it. In fact, I think everyone should be grateful that there are "morons" out there like us who are willing to pay for it so they can enjoy the free stuff for free. The free stuff on the website wouldn't exist without the paying stuff existing too (and the morons paying for it). The price is probably so high because Disney knows there will be those who only want free stuff and are willing to let others pay the way for them. I admit I'm getting sick of people complaining that Disney, or the Government, or whoever, doesn't do enough for them. And, in the process, they complain about those who fund all their free stuff for them (and even call them names) by paying for memberships or paying taxes. Nobody's entitled to anything. Disney doesn't owe us anything except what we pay for. Any freebies should be accepted gratefully. Wow, I think I'm about to be flamed for this. Oh well. As I've thought about this D23 thing since yesterday, I'm really excited to see where it goes. It has great potential.

I also bought the membership last night. I'm actually excited about it. Looking forward to the exclusive collectible that comes with the membership and the magazine.

I also got a D23 pin on the Disneymovierewards website, was 500 points. It has a B&W Mickey and a color Mickey with "D23" between them.

I am also a WDCC member so I hope the collectible is at the same level.

But I agree if it is not that great this year, I won't renew next year.

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 512131415161718 ... LastLast