Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 91617181920 LastLast

• Not a Minion

Re: Are You 23 / D23 - Disney Campaign - What is it?

Quote Originally Posted by mickeymark34 View Post
    As of today, I AM 23!!!!! I joined this afternoon, after I got out of work. I am seriously thinking about going down to Anaheim for the Expo. I cannot wait to get the magazine in the mail.
    I wish disney created a forum for d23 members. I'd like to see a thread there to see where all the different members are coming form (where in America, the world, and what forums they would be coming from).

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by ryanvalle View Post
    I wish disney created a forum for d23 members. I'd like to see a thread there to see where all the different members are coming form (where in America, the world, and what forums they would be coming from).

From what I've heard, member Forums are something that might be added to the site as the membership grows.

Your wish just might come true!

• Fortuosity!

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolMickey View Post
    From what I've heard, member Forums are something that might be added to the site as the membership grows.

Your wish just might come true!
    Nothing says I love Disney like posting in a heavily monitored forum where unpleasant or negative comments are deleted faster than you can say Bibbidi Bobbidi Boo!
    I like The Happiest Millionaire. What's wrong with that?

• Too far from Disney World

I live a little north of Cincinnati Ohio!
    With great pride: Disney Store Cast Member August 2011-Present

D23 Charter Member - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

WDW Trips: June 2012, 2010, 2008, 2007, 1997, 1996, 1994

• Distant Disneylandaholic

Utah here

• Not a Minion

North Hills California here

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Angie_Duke View Post
    Nothing says I love Disney like posting in a heavily monitored forum where unpleasant or negative comments are deleted faster than you can say Bibbidi Bobbidi Boo!
    Totally agree.
    MiceChat would have them beat on every single level there!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Not a Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Angie_Duke View Post
    Yeah, you're probably right. However, I think it'd be in Disney's best interest to still open a forum and not moderate it. It would be only open to Disney's most dedicated fans (aka morons/d23 members).

Why would it be in disney's best interest? Well, I am also part of another forum called reduser.net, owned and moderated by the camera company RED. Through there, RED is able to hear feedback from its users and use that feed back to better improve their service, product, and company. Yes, disney has been around for much longer and probably doesn't need that, but I think they can do so without need of moderation.

Hi folks, long time member, infrequent poster, no longer a passholder, life long fan here. Just wanted to add my 2 cents.

First, as I see it, Disney doesnt need to, nor are they trying to, compete with discussion boards such as Micechat, Mousplanet, Laughing place, etc. Why would they? Members are quite right that Disney could not create a community to match these, nor is there a need.

Nor do I believe Disney is going to abandon other fan groups like NFFC or reduce participation, unless through the Expo it becomes redundant. And, maybe that will happen. There were other clubs before the NFFC, and before the internet, they died out, others came along. The internet did totally change the fan world, and for the most part, for the better! For the large base of Disney fans, they have never been to a convention, company or fan sponsored, and many have never been to an event. As an "old timer", I have seen all these things rise and fall to some degree.

And I hope the Disney creative forces that have for so many years voluntarily participated in fan events will not take offense at some of the cynicism and "Disney is only in it for a buck" comments posted by some here and elsewhere. Many of these talented people have given of themselves out of love for the same things we all value for many years, back to fans. Just because there is a new form of Company sponsored opportunities to do so doesnt lessen their own committment to the legacy and history of the company.

On the other hand, I have seen Disney ruin a good thing by running it into the ground. Disney after all is just people like us - some of whom are incredibly gifted, some of whom are just in it for their careers. Those who stick with the company despite its failings do so, in many cases, because they realize there is no other place on earth like it, and it is a source of unique wonder and joy to millions, bringing smiles to life like no other. And, btw, no I have never worked for the Company or anything dependent on it. They have received lots of my money in the past, and recently got an order for membership in the club.

I joined because I realize Disney can offer things that NONE of the existing channels available to fans can. And I trust that, although no one is perfect, folks like Marty Sklar, Dave Smith, and others involved here are more than just faces to sell a campaign - they want to create something very special, where we can see, have access to, and participate in things that ONLY Disney can provide. Why would they want to discourage the channels we all have enjoyed for years that have benefitted the Company and the individuals involved? Ridiculous. Short sighted on the part of some who would immediately jump on a cynical bandwagon to blast the company that creates and both preserves and reinvigorates the unique legacy and promise of future creativity that we all love.

So, some don't want to pay $75, thats fine, its understandable. Maybe it wont be a value. Maybe the expo will be a miserable failure. It seems that is what some here want - why? Give Disney a chance. You know, I have met, albeit briefly, many many of the folks who have brought the (overused term) "magic" to life, and every single one of those encounters has been wonderful for me. I treasure those memories and chances to jointly CELEBRATE what we all love in its many forms. Some things appeal to a small group, like collectibles, but for those people, the products are also something they enjoy - why slam them, or Disney, for wanting another offering for them, whether by online products or events? Sure, some will be overpriced, most will not appreciate in value, but people generally can make those decisions for themselves, just like we can each choose whether we want to pay or attend.

I guess what I am trying to express, wordily, is that the folks at Disney who are committed to this, and the fans, for the RIGHT reasons deserve our applause, encouragement, and appreciation. And they deserve a chance. Let's give them one. Perhaps they will all create something fantastic that thousands will enjoy. Wouldnt that be fun? I am looking forward to finding out.

Thanks for letting me express myself. And thanks to Al for maintaining this site for everyone to do so and share. Yes, I know it is more than just Al, but he is the only one (and Sue) that I have known over the years from Gallery signings etc. I look forward to hearing his thoughts tomorrow and hope he too will see that D23 is an opportunity for something quite special, managed properly, and that it deserves, if not our unanimous support, at least a chance to grow before we all start celebrating its failure. I would much rather celebrate its success.

• Tomorrow's Child

What a wonderful post. You make a compelling argument too.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

Enjoyed your post Jiminy.

About this Expo. Does anyone know if it will be in Anahiem every year, or will it go to different places?

"I hope that we never lose sight of one thing-that it was all started by a mouse." Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by mickeymark34 View Post
    About this Expo. Does anyone know if it will be in Anahiem every year, or will it go to different places?
    They've said the first four years in Anaheim at least, then it may go elsewhere.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Disney won't, but we did. For members... and non members alike!

D23 - Disney Twenty Three - MiceChat

Great post Jiminy!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Not a Minion

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    Disney won't, but we did. For members... and non members alike!

D23 - Disney Twenty Three - MiceChat

Great post Jiminy!
    I was hoping more of a forum where members could post and disney execs could also post. Kind of like how RED's execs post things and respond to users at reduser.net.

However, this will suffice.

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 91617181920 LastLast