Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

The D23 Expo - What is it and what would you like to see

The D23 Expo is coming to the Anaheim Convention Center September 10-13th. Disney has a few early details available on the D23 web site.

We have been informed that the Expo will be a uniquely Disney experience which focuses on creating an immersing experience and which downplays the commercial aspect of the company. There will be pavilions created by the various Disney business units (such as Parks and Resorts, ABC, Consumer Products, etc) but they will not sell product directly. Rather, there will be an expo "Dream" store where certain items can be purchased all in one spot. The Dream Store will feature items exclusive to the Expo and pieces inspired by the Walt Disney Archives Collection.

During the planning for the Expo, it was quickly determined that the show would be too big to be accommodated at the Disneyland Resort and would need to be held at the enormous Anaheim Convention Center next door.

Highlights will include, a "Collectors Forum," where fans can buy, sell and trade collectibles and pins. Keynote speeches from Disney executives (Bob Iger, John Lasseter, Walt Disney Imagineering, and many others), Disney inspired fashion shows, live performances, music and artists from Radio Disney, screenings from upcoming films and projects including concept art and trailers. The Expo will also host the "50 and Fabulous" film festival, which will screen films approaching 50 years old such as Sleeping Beauty, Darby O'Gill and the Little People and The Shaggy Dog. The screenings will include panel discussions of Disney notables.

More information about the festival will be available at D23Expo.com as the event approaches.

That's what we know so far, what would you like to see included in a Disney Fan Expo? What would you be willing to pay to attend? Let us hear your thoughts!
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Re: The D23 Expo - What is it and what would you like to see

Personally, I'd be most interested in hearing about upcoming plans for the various Disney Parks around the world. I'd also be VERY interested in concept art and info about future Disney film projects which we may never have heard of yet. I'd also like to learn a bit more about some of the less visible disney company projects like the furniture lines which Disney is working on which recreate pieces from Walt's office or inspired by Disney films.

Hopefully, there are many items included in the "Dream" store which average people can afford to buy. There is a place for $600 pens, but I think many fans would appreciate the opportunity to buy affordable shirts, figurines, pins, and posters which are in the $20 to $50 range.

Since the Expo would be a full day worth of activity and entertainment, I'd be willing to pay an equivalent amount as a day's admission to a theme park. Of course a substantial discount for D23 members should be applied.
    Find us on Facebook:

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    Personally, I'd be most interested in hearing about upcoming plans for the various Disney Parks around the world.

I'd also like to learn a bit more about some of the less visible disney company projects like the furniture lines which Disney is working on which recreate pieces from Walt's office or inspired by Disney films.

Hopefully, there are many items included in the "Dream" store which average people can afford to buy. There is a place for $600 pens, but I think many fans would appreciate the opportunity to buy affordable shirts, figurines, pins, and posters which are in the $20 to $50 range.
    Agreed. Here's hoping that D23 members even get a heads up on the new announcements before the public does. Even if it's just a day or so, it would be a little extra in my opinion.

As far as merchandise, I can't agree with you more Dusty. With $600 pens, I think Disney is reaching a little here. Here's hoping for some more merchandise that is more in line to our wallets.

Finally, I hope the expo rotates to various places each year. I know we can't make it to Anaheim the beginning of September because of school, but if it were in New York City one year....
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Since the studio is once again not displaying a huge presence at ShoWest (just screenings of 'The Proposal' and 'Battle for Terra' in 3D for example) I'd expect that they'll combine their resources from their September showcase and bring some of it to Anaheim. That way they can invite the exhibitors and media to the expo instead of the Kodak Theatre for a separate event.

I'd expect to see Jim Carrey, Gary Oldman and Robert Zemeckis onstage with an 'A Christmas Carol' preview, a contingent from 'The Princess and The Frog' with preview along with 2010 sneak peeks such as 'Toy Story 3D' and beyond.

Plus many promotional giveaways and contest opportunities.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

I found the Expo pricing. Not bad. Certainly cheaper than a day in the parks. A bit of a discount for D23 members and if you go all 4 days, you get the 4th day free:

General Admission:
    Adult 1-day $37
    Adult 4-day $111 (4th day free)
    Child 1-day $27
    Child 4-day $81 (4th day free)

D23 Member Admission (D23 members may purchase up to four discounted tickets per membership):
    Adult 1-day $30
    Adult 4-day $90 (4th day free)
    Child 1-day $22
    Child 4-day $66 (4th day free)

-Dusty
    Find us on Facebook:

• Not a Minion

Im curious if the 4 tickets must be used by the member of the member can get 4 discounted tickets where three of them would be used for family or friends who may want to attend.

I hope the "fashion show" is not current HSM and Hannah Montana clothing made for trampy 11 year olds trying to look like 17 year old loose women.

I hope the D23 Expo Fashion Show is a parade of Disneyland and WDW Cast Member costumes through the decades! They could have the hilarious Disneyland baloon vendor from the 1950's in the Pinochio getup. The original 1959 Monorail uniforms were so crisp and fancy and military like. I'd love to see that one in person on a model.

They could have the stylish Jackie Kennedy-esque suits with white gloves the hostesses wore in the 1960's Tomorrowland attractions from General Electric, the Bell System, etc. Of course the original PeopleMover uniform in blue and gold with the Go-Go-Goodyear go-go boots. What about the elaborate uniform the CM's wore when Pirates opened in '67? Those hats looked big enough to hide a cat in.

The 1970's should belong to WDW with all of the horrible polyester jumpsuits they wore, and the ridiculous bridesmaids-from-hell outfits they seemed to put young women in during the 70's in both parks. The old leiderhosen and tight 70's ski pants the kids used to wear at the Matterhorn were great too.

I would love to see the 1980's uniforms from Videopolis with the white belts and white hose. Hideous! And Hilarious!

Let's hope that the D23 Expo Fashion Show is not a parade of 21st century pre-teen tramps in the latest Miley Cyrus miniskirt. Let's hope it's a salute to Disneyland and WDW Cast Member costumes through the decades!

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

I believe that the fashion show will focus on the Disney princess inspired wedding gowns and fashion.
    Find us on Facebook:

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

This would make far more sense.

However what was described above would make for an interesting exhibit.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

I believe that the fashion show will focus on the Disney princess inspired wedding gowns and fashion.
    Wow. You sure know how to kill a good buzz, don't you?

Seriously? Wedding gowns? No, really, you're serious? Yeah, you're serious. I can tell. What a bummer.

I'm sensing I will buy a one-day ticket to the D23 Expo and be done in a couple of hours. I think I will be spending more time at the Anaheim International Auto Show in that convention center in October than I will be spending at the D23 Expo in September.

And the Auto Show is only 10 bucks to get in. And you get a FREE years subscription to Motor Trend Magazine with your ticket.

Wedding gown fashion shows at a Disney fan convention?

• Distant Disneylandaholic

This is a slight rehash of what I posted in one of the other threads, but thought I'd put it here for what it's worth.

I've heard WDI has a scale model of the entire Disneyland resort that they use to see how things fit, how new stuff would look if built, etc. "IF" that exists (and I don't know if it does), how about putting it on display for us to gawk at? If it's too big, show it to us by land. Put it behind glass so we can't touch it and let us gawk

If that's too much, how about scale models of the rides? I'd love to see the scale model of Splash Mountain, for example.

How about getting as many of their artists there as possible to meet and sign stuff (I'd like to put in a request right now for Olszewski & Avanzino). I'm pretty sure they'll do all they can to get as many artists (i.e., sales) there as possible

I'm assuming a lot of the characters will be there--provided they can get off work from the resort next door

Any unused vehicles sitting around that you can put on display? If so, I'd like to request a display of one of the Jeeps from Indiana Jones.

Any animatronic figures you could pull from somewhere for 4 days and show how they work without the costume on so we can see the robotics? Can that be done without giving away too many trade secrets?

Can we just see a lot of the same behind the scenes stuff that Uncle Walt used to show on the Disneyland show, only the modern versions?

As you can see, I'm mainly thinking Park stuff here. I'm sure there's lots more I'm not thinking of...

As for what I DON'T want: Please don't make this a current pop culture thing where Disney tries to market the latest teen stars who are on their way (or already there, in some cases-think HSM female star) to being the next post-Disney sleeze (Lohan, Spears, etc.) If it's for the diehard fans, I can't see how that can include just about anything on the current Disney Channel (can you tell I'm still ticked that Vault Disney was taken off?). Maybe there's a place for some of that current stuff for the children of the fans but certainly not for the fans themselves who are paying for the Expo (can you see I'm biased here?).

Disney has their work cut out for them with this Expo. Disney is so big and means so many things to so many different people. To me, it is NOT ABC, it is NOT ESPN. To me, it's the parks and quality movies, and the background on both. Anything from the Walt era would be great by me as well.

Fashion does nothing for me--and if you saw me you'd probably agree

I like the idea of park costumes through the years MUCH better.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Well, from what I understand, each of the company's main business units (Parks, ABC, ESPN, Consumer products, etc) will have their own pavilion at the Expo which they have been asked to turn into an entertaining environment. They can't use their space just to sell product, because merchandise can only be sold in the "Dream" store.

There will be special events in the evenings as well. It all sounds fun, but there is a thin line that Disney needs to be careful not to cross. If it is all too commercial and doesn't contain enough insider "sneak peak" type of stuff, the fans won't give them a second chance for next year.

Obviously, models of attractions never built, concept art from upcoming animated features that we haven't even heard of yet, screenings of short subjects that we never get to see, displays of items long stashed away in the Disney Archives, panel discussions with Disney legends . . . these are all the sort of things we WANT to see. If it just turns into a consumer product showcase and marketing for everything that Disney is doing now, it will be a huge failure.
    Find us on Facebook:

Well, from what I understand, each of the company's main business units (Parks, ABC, ESPN, Consumer products, etc) will have their own pavilion at the Expo which they have been asked to turn into an entertaining environment. They can't use their space just to sell product, because merchandise can only be sold in the "Dream" store.

There will be special events in the evenings as well. It all sounds fun, but there is a thin line that Disney needs to be careful not to cross. If it is all too commercial and doesn't contain enough insider "sneak peak" type of stuff, the fans won't give them a second chance for next year.

Obviously, models of attractions never built, concept art from upcoming animated features that we haven't even heard of yet, screenings of short subjects that we never get to see, displays of items long stashed away in the Disney Archives, panel discussions with Disney legends . . . these are all the sort of things we WANT to see. If it just turns into a consumer product showcase and marketing for everything that Disney is doing now, it will be a huge failure.
    I agree completely. Give me those things you've listed as want, and I'm there. Admittedly I'm not really a fan of whatever is the current drama on TV, so the ABC section may not keep my attention for too long. Generally, too much of a commercial for Disney to sell me stuff, I'll never go back. Now, that doesn't mean I won't buy stuff, because there is stuff I would like to buy, if the quality and subject are correct. That's why I included the examples of Olszewski and Avanzino above. But if Disney tries to push generic, break-when-you-get-it-home-or-earlier, mass- marketed-you-have-to-buy-this-just-because-it-has-a-character-on-it, stuff, I'm out. It's harder than I thought to type all those dashes in there.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Sorry boys but i would LOVE to see that show!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast