Twenty Three Magazine, will it be a successor to Disney Magazine?

I was a huge fan of Disney Magazine when it was in circulation. I was upset when I heard the news that it was going to cease in print. Now we have D23 and the magazine that comes quarterly. It is the first magazine to be in print since the end of Disney Magazine. Do any of you think it will be similar, or better than Disney Magazine? I only got to glance at it for a brief moment while I was at a Disney Store this weekend. I am anxiously awaiting mine to arrive in the mail so I can scour it in great detail. What are your thoughts on Twenty Three magazine?

"I hope that we never lose sight of one thing-that it was all started by a mouse." Walt Disney

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

Re: Twenty Three Magazine, will it be a successor to Disney Magazine?

For the price it sure as hell better bring more than the old "Disney Magazine" (Which I also miss)

I am hoping it is just as fun, but more high end quality.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

I also miss Disney magazine. Luckily, Twenty Three magazine is very similar but with a larger format, more pictures, and longer articles. It seems familiar but on a slightly grander scale.

I have two problems with Twenty Three magazine 1) the HORRIBLE name (it sounds like a fashion mag for young women). For goodness sakes just call it Disney Magazine! and 2) the price is too high. I'd rather that they print a smaller less expensive magazine and put some ads in it than price a lot of the target market out of the publication.

Don't get me wrong, I REALLY like the magazine. It is georgeous! But, I doubt that I'd shell out $60 a year for it at the book store. Not in this economy.

But I might be interested in a digital version of the magazine for download at a lower price.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Still lost in Neverland

That $74 price tag to join the club is most of the yearly cost for buying the magazine. $15.95 is was high for a magazine even though it is nicely done. I think I will still wait and see what happens with issue 2.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

I bought the first issue of D23 magazine at Disneyana last weekend, on a whim. I found it far less interesting than I thought I would, and I will hesitate a great deal before shelling out another 16 bucks for the next issue. In short, I was not impressed with the actual content, although the presentation was well done.

Most of the information in Issue One wasn't new or unknown to me at all. I read the article on the Dream Suites, but as a Disney fan with computer access it seemed to be just a rehash of all the online interviews I had read about the Suites last year. The article was boring and totally scrubbed of any drama or intrigue. Even the pictures of the Suites weren't new, just the same publicity stills from 15 months ago.

Then there were articles I began to read, like the California Grill item, but after the second paragpraph I got bored and began to skim. Halfway through skimming the article I gave up and turned the page. The recipe didn't interest me, and I have no need to learn about an aging and tired looking 1990's concept restaurant in WDW. Why not do an article about the restaurant when it was the wonderfully kitschy Top Of The World restaurant in the 1970's and offer up a trendy recipe from the Nixon era? Give us information we can't already find on cable TV shows!

And finally, there were some articles that I took one look at and quickly realized this was nothing I would ever want to invest my time in. The Anne Liebowitz thing with super-dreamy heart throb Zac Efron? YIKES! No thanks! If I want to read Tiger Beat, I can go pick one up at 7-11.

Overall, there were some lovely photographs in D23 magazine, mostly the Walt ones. The rest of the stuff seemed to be rehashed publicity puff pieces from last year, boring articles worthy of the Ladies Home Journal circa 1998, or terrifying reminders of the current bubblegum pop machine that Disney Channel has become.

I very seriously doubt I will purchase another 16 dollar issue of D23 magazine. It's just not what I am looking for as a Disney fan.

• Distant Disneylandaholic

I'm looking forward to the magazine's arrival. It will be the first test for me of the D23 membership. It's really a two-pronged test though. The first will be my impression of it. The second will be what my wife thinks of it.

A good case in point is the Imagineers DVD done awhile back. I thought it was just okay but most of what was in there I knew already. However, my wife loved the DVD since a lot of the stuff was new to her. We're both Disney fans and may both end up at the Expo, but we're fans on much different levels in terms of time invested in knowledge about the company. I'll be curious to see if the magazine has the same type of response from us as the DVD did.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Well, it is the only magazine published by disney, that focuses on Disney. So in a sence, it is a successor, but as I wrote in one of the other D23 topic, the new magazine is more in the style of an an oversized coffee table book. It's good for browsing through to look at the pictures, however the size is too cumbersome to make the article readable. I really don't like the format at all, for Disney fans who want to read the articles.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Here's a thought: for D23 members, why not create an exclusive section of the website with the archived Disney News and Disney Magazines. A lot of missed and great articles in there, and would be a great look back on the past.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Distant Disneylandaholic

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    Here's a thought: for D23 members, why not create an exclusive section of the website with the archived Disney News and Disney Magazines. A lot of missed and great articles in there, and would be a great look back on the past.
    I'd really enjoy that as I haven't read any of them. I did go to the effort several years ago to track down all the E-Ticket Magazines (though the first 5 are only in "printed-from-the-pdf-CD-I-Bought" form. I've never tried to track down the Disney News or Disney Magazine. Should I? Is there good stuff in there? I'd love for Disney to make them available as pdf downloads to D23 members.

I never knew about Disney Magazine until I stumbled upon it at Target in the magazine section, about ten years ago. After buying a few issues off of the shelf, I decided to get a subscription. Then, they halted publication, due to people getting information about Disney off the internet. I really loved to read it cover to cover. It was really informative and fun to read. I loved the Hidden Mickey pictures, and the letters from readers. I really wish they would bring it back.

"I hope that we never lose sight of one thing-that it was all started by a mouse." Walt Disney

• All-American

I loved Disney Magazine as a kid. At the WDW (and also Vero Beach) resorts, every hotel room had that quarter's issue of Disney Magazine on the table when you came in. That was one one of my favorite parts about staying on-property, curling up with that visit's issue of Disney magazine. Of course, that was before I found MiceChat and all the other Disney sites, so it was really my only way of staying in the know. Anyway, I was so upset when DM cancelled . As much as D23 sounds like a successor to the Disney Magazine, I don't see WDW putting issues in the hotel rooms.
    Last edited by MarkTwain; 03-22-2009 at 01:20 PM.

• For old time sake

I just bought my issue today. I LOVE the cover. I love the format(what i have seen) the pictures are awesome, but the price? $16? Really?

Dusty, I agree on the name. It don't care for it and DH said it sounds like a parking lot space. I understand WHY they named it as such, but. I'm not totally sold on it.

I need to finish my cover to cover analysis.
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!