A Few Unhappy Thoughts

Steven Clark sure does like himself. A lot. He has a lot to say about himself, and quite a lot less to say about this other guy called Walt Disney.

If it's a "community," where are the message boards? Where's the interaction? How do I find other members?

This isn't a community. It's not for fans. It's just more marketing. I mean, for a community intended for serious Disney fans, does anyone REALLY care that The Rock was at a San Diego movie theater? Does the same demographic that wants a serious Disney community care about "High School Musical 4"?

But at least Steven Clark is clearly beaming with pride -- he even got one of those cool, annual report-style portrait shots.

My God, this has been a botched concept AND execution.

This one should go the way of "Light Magic," they should give refunds to those who joined, and then regroup and try again in 12 months. Seriously.

After seeing the mostly horrible response to this, is Disney REALLY still going to move ahead with a multi-day "expo," no doubt running in the many millions of dollars, for a "community" it's not really serving? I didn't want to pay $75 to receive glossy marketing material from Disney, I certainly don't want to spend another $90 to attend an "expo" where a bunch of Disney business units are going to try to sell me MORE STUFF.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Re: A Few Unhappy Thoughts

I agree that it was a very troubled launch. The "What is it" factor is too high. The price is way out of step for a fan club. You just shouldn't slap your fans in the face with a $75 "Club" and expect them to eagerly eat it up.

However, I've met Steven Clark and several of the other people involved in this project, and they aren't bad people. In fact they are big ol' Disney nerds just like we all are. These are folks who work in the archives and have broad access to real Disney treasures. But they may be a bit out of their league on the whole "Community" thing. But I do have faith that they'll figure this out, come up with a lower price point, refine their marketing, reach out to the fan community on a more proactive basis, and minimize gaffs such as the million dollar pen

There is a place for a Disney Magazine, and Fan web site, and even an Expo. They just need to figure out if they should all be run as one big initiative or marketed as separate projects.

I would like to see Disney continue working on this project and not "Light Magic" it. After all, so much of what is already available for free on the web site is really good stuff. No need to throw the baby out with the bath water.

But this is a good discussion.
    MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• nș 103

To my understanding, this club is targeted for the more average Disney fans that don't know about sites like micechat.com or dlnewstoday.com. It gives them more detailed information on events and movies and stuff without them having to start looking things up.

I honestly don't see what the big gripe about D23 is. It's just like the Walt Disney Collector's Society. You get to buy member-exclusive stuff, you get a magazine, and a few extra little things. Only difference is the selection of items you can buy and you get a discount for the expo.

Sure, most people aren't willing to pony up $75 for the D23 membership, but most people also aren't willing to pay $60 for WDCS membership. But it's not like Disney is putting a gun to your head and making you pay for it.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dmcman View Post
    Sure, most people aren't willing to pony up $75 for the D23 membership, but most people also aren't willing to pay $60 for WDCS membership. But it's not like Disney is putting a gun to your head and making you pay for it.
    Good points dmcman. I think the main issue is that memberships like the WDCS target and deliver a service well matched to their audience. However D23 is marketed as the ultimate Disney Fan Community and yet it charges a price that would be out of reach for many of its target fans. It isn't really a community at all. It is a resource and marketing site for the entire Disney company.

I think the "Fans" would actually like D23 a whole lot more if they weren't subjected to a high price membership.

It's like DCA. People complained about the park because it charged the same price as Disneyland and delivered less. So the park didn't do well. But when they offer a 2fer and give you the park for free, people pack the place full.

I think there is a logical price point for D23 membership - FREE
    Charge separately for the magazine and expo.

If they need to cover their operations costs on the web site and magazine, sell advertising to other parts of the company.

I think the Expo will do well. But they'll need to promote the heck out of it to make sure fans don't get confused about what/where/when it is.
    MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Banned User

Well.. I picked up that 23 magazine today at my local Barnes & Noble. I guess the production value is OK.. but the price of $16 is a bit steep.