• Closed Account

Salt on the wound Disney! Song of the South animation cel for sale to D23? Shame!!!

http://as7.dsi.go.com/is/image/DisneyShopping/300886?$full$
    SHAME on you Disney!

Fleecing D23 members for $1500 just to own the only acknowledgement of this movie's existence?

Grow a pair Disney and release this movie. Or are you scared?
    Last edited by NeverNeverland; 03-17-2009 at 12:26 PM. Reason: hotlinked picture removed. Hotlinking not allowed.

Re: Salt on the wound Disney! Song of the South animation cel for sale to D23? Shame!

Wow. That's really pushing it. Offering the cel, I mean.

• Not a Minion

Re: Salt on the wound Disney! Song of the South animation cel for sale to D23? Shame!

i just don't get why they want $1500 for it.

• Rawr...

It should be clarified that this isn't an actual cel used in the production of the movie... but rather a replica of one that WAS used. The reason for the high price is that each one is hand painted (not just scanned into a computer and printed over-and-over) on an animation cell, which is basically a sheet of plastic that is used in the animation process with another picture on normal paper used as the background. In the case of this cel, the background IS printed while the actual characters were hand inked and colored.

Br'er Fox and Br'er Bear bicker over the fate of a captive Br'er Rabbit on this hand-painted limited edition cel inspired by Walt Disney's 1946 film classic, Song of the South. If our hero uses his head and a bit of trickery, he's sure to escape once again. Matched to original production art by the world famous Disney Animation Ink and Paint department, each Br'er Rabbit cel is hand-numbered and comes complete with a Certificate of Authenticity. The background is printed on museum-quality paper with archival inks. Made in U.S.A.
    Lets not get our underoos in a twist.
    Anyone up for a Colorado Micechatters meet-up?
    http://micechat.com/forums/meets-eve...ml#post3486518

Colorado Micechatter Extrordinare!

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by IndyJn511 View Post
    It should be clarified that this isn't an actual cel used in the production of the movie... but rather a replica of one that WAS used. The reason for the high price is that each one is hand painted (not just scanned into a computer and printed over-and-over) on an animation cell, which is basically a sheet of plastic that is used in the animation process with another picture on normal paper used as the background. In the case of this cel, the background IS printed while the actual characters were hand inked and colored.

Lets not get our underoos in a twist.
    By offering this cel, Disney is taunting their fans because they refuse to release the movie out of threats by people like Jesse Jackson and Maya Angelou to stage a world-wide boycott of all things Disney if the movie is ever released from the vault.

By offering this cel; Disney is simply saying "Ha Ha, we made this movie but you can't see it. Here, give us $1500 for a taste of it and go ride Splash Mountain while you're at it!"

• Rawr...

Quote Originally Posted by ManaByte View Post
    By offering this cel, Disney is taunting their fans because they refuse to release the movie out of threats by people like Jesse Jackson and Maya Angelou to stage a world-wide boycott of all things Disney if the movie is ever released from the vault.

By offering this cel; Disney is simply saying "Ha Ha, we made this movie but you can't see it. Here, give us $1500 for a taste of it and go ride Splash Mountain while you're at it!"
    Ok... thats one point of view. But I really don't think that that was Disney's objective... I mean... really? I just don't know what to say here...
    Anyone up for a Colorado Micechatters meet-up?
    http://micechat.com/forums/meets-eve...ml#post3486518

Colorado Micechatter Extrordinare!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

You guys sure seemed wound up about this! Remember, that not EVERY one at Disney is wanting to snub Song of the South. To me, it feels like that they're actually trying to give the hard core fans something that they WOULD want.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    To me, it feels like that they're actually trying to give the hard core fans something that they WOULD want.
    But can't afford.

Actually, I'm happy to see anything from Song of the South available. Just wish that some of it were affordable.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Closed Account

Wait for it. Song of the South Platinum DVD...

Requires D23 membership + $500.

• Seasick

I understand why Disney is hesitant to re-release Song of the South, but it's odd that they continue to merchandise it, not to mention build an E-ticket attraction based on it.

If it's a truly offensive movie, bury it. But, if it's not so offensive that they feel fine releasing merchandise based on the property, then release the movie from the vault already.

It feels a bit hypocritical to me. We won't release the movie because it's offensive, but we'll make money off of it.

Personally I don't care all that much one way or the other, however.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    But can't afford.

Actually, I'm happy to see anything from Song of the South available. Just wish that some of it were affordable.

Hehe, well you have a good point there.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

they did release some merchandise based on Song of the South in the past year or two, at Disney Shopping dot com. there was a big fig of brer rabbit, fox, bear, a lantern. I don't remember what else.

• Sock Puppet

Yeah, stuff is out there, you just have to look.

A friend of ours is a huge collector of SOTS merchandise and has been for quite some time. He joined D23 and there is no doubt in my mind thay he will buy this cel piece.

We're content with a copy of the movie, but we're open to other stuff if we like it.

As far as pricing goes, if folks can't afford the $75, Disney isn't gonna worry about them not being able to afford the $1,500 items. There are plenty of folks that can do both.

• Shablagoo!

There have been lots of pins of SotS characters over the years. In fact there is a B'rer Rabbit coming out real soon.