Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Not a Minion

D23: Issue Two review (Spoilers?)

The second issue of d23 came in the mail today and it does fulfill what was mentioned in another thread of what its featured articles would be.

Taking it out of the cardboard box, I was slightly upset that the cover wasn't as cool looking as the premier issue. No embossment like the other issue. I would say there's a pseudo embossment created by the ink printing.

I do love the artwork on the cover, which pays tribute to Donald Duck. Great choice/design in my opinion.

Upon opening the page, you get another letter from the editor and also a neat advertisement for D23Expo, which features a nice sketch of a sorcerer mickey. I like it also.

I haven't read the articles itself, so I won't much about the articles, but here's a list of the index of what you can expect from the magazine:

FEATURES
    MONSTERS TAKE TOKYO
    Covers the new ride in Tokyo.

FOR THE LOVE OF ART
    Talks a bit about Disney Gallery

RAPUNZEL: ALL TRESSED UP...
    Chat with the Directors of the movie

LIFE IN THE TRANSPORTATION BUSINESS
    Article about Jerry Bruckheimer

LET"S HEAR IT FOR "THE BOYS"
    Article on the Sherman Brothers

CALiFORNIA DREAMIN'
    Covers what will be coming to the park.

DONALD's "NEW" LITTLE DITTY
    "In celebration of Donald's big anniversary, Disney artist and Author Russell Schroeder shares a remarkable musical treasure from Disney's Lost Chords."

75 YEARS OF DONALD DUCK
    A tribute to the famous duck.

IT'S A ZOO!
    Article about the animals that visited the Disney Studios

DEPARTMENTS
    A WALK WITH WALT: THE LUCKY CARTOONIST
    more about Walt Diseny

D SOCIETY
    just like the previous magazine, but with new photos

MAKING MAGIC: LET'S GO FLY A KITE
    how to make a kite

PHOTOFILES
    just like the previous magazine, but with new photos

WHERE IN DISNEY
    Didn't notice this in the last issue. Its kind of like an eye spy game

THE FUNNY PAGE
    comics

------------

Once again, the entire thing is photo filled and seems to feature more articles that I would be interested in. One thing I want to read up on soon is the California Adventure article. I'm curious to see if it has any new info. As far as the art in there, I didn't notice any new pictures except for two more for the World of Color show coming next year. The new photos are just sketches that really showcase how big the show will be. Also, the Little Mermaid show building is shown as concept art, but looks different to the concept art featured in the Blue Sky Cellar.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Re: D23: Issue Two review (Spoilers?)

Thanks for covering this ryanvalle

WHERE IN DISNEY
    Didn't notice this in the last issue. Its kind of like an eye spy game
    It was in the last issue

Once again, the entire thing is photo filled and seems to feature more articles that I would be interested in.
    I get the Tales from the LaughingPlace Magazine and one of the few complaints I have is the pictures are too small, I perfer the size of images you get with the D23 Magazine. It sounds like a packed issue, and no Zach or Vanesa in sight.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

I missed Where in disney in the last issue too.
    What is the answer to this one's? (Do they even have the answer to last one's in this issue?)

I ave'nt read it yet either, but I'm anxious to! I love how pretty and colorful the cover is. Most of the articles interest me, but so did most of the last issue's!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Banned User

Did the Magazine not include any recipes this time around?

What is the answer to this one's? (Do they even have the answer to last one's in this issue?)
    The answer to Issue 1 is reported will be in Issue two, here is the picture from the last D23 Where In Disney

Please note the picture is not the same one printed in the Magazine but one from my own personal collection.
    Last edited by Malin; 04-30-2009 at 01:18 PM.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

I know where that pic is!

No recipes I still have to make that flourless chocolate cake.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain

• Not a Minion

Got the chance to read the California Adventure article. Though not much of a spoiler, I will play it safe and post my thoughts on it in a spoiler tag...

Spoiler
    I thought it was an interesting read. For those that don't live near California Adventure or don't visit on a regular basis, its a real treat. If you live near the parks and have seen/know whats going on, its nothing new. I belong in the latter of the group. Visit the park atleast once a month, I know what's going on there right now, so a lot of the info in the read wasn't new. They bring up the major changes to the park including the new entrance, carthay theater, cars land, little mermaid, and of course the paradise pier changes. The best part for me was the info on paradise pier, mainly world of color since it does go into some more detail than what has been revealed before as what the show will be like. After reading it, I have got to say, I am more excited about it that I was before reading it. Of course, nothing is final as it is warned in the reading and does hint at a soft opening to test the audience reactions and improve the show before its official opening.

Also, the article goes as to what inspired the addition/remodeling of the lands, something that may be of interest to some people, but once again, not too new of info if you're a huge park follower.

All in all, I thought it was a good article that any disneyland lover should read eventually.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    Thanks for covering this ryanvalle

It was in the last issue

I get the Tales from the LaughingPlace Magazine and one of the few complaints I have is the pictures are too small, I perfer the size of images you get with the D23 Magazine. It sounds like a packed issue, and no Zach or Vanesa in sight.
    Also, the text is MUCH easier on the eyes than Tales is. I was able to read the articles in D23 much easier. I think issue #2 is much more interesting and suits my tastes better than the 1st one. The lack of embossed cover is a very minor point, but I did notice it. It still has some gloss on the lettering and parts of the artwork though, so it's still classy looking. Also, LOVE the Donald art on the cover...I'm a big Donald fan anyway, and this issue was perfect for that.

I was quite happy to find the little extra souvineer(sp). Little extras go long way with me.
    Maybe you folks can tell me though. Does gettin' two womenfolk mean you're the winner or the loser?
    ~Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland

• Banned User

Got issue 2 today, haven't opened the magazine yet, but the extra is a really nice touch.

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

Hey...I know where that picture was taken! :-)

Haven't gotten my issue yet...maybe today I hope I hope I hope. Thanks for the details on the contents, sounds like it's packed with some good stuff.

They are tearing up and repiping the street in front of my house so in addition to giving me massive headaches, I think it's messed up our mail delivery.

• Banned User

The D23 website has posted up a few web extras from the Magazine including the answer to last month's Where In Disney, Additional DCA images and also more tales from the Animals from the Studios article. Check them out here D23 | Disney.com

Also a new Dish recipe has been added to the site., This one is one of Walt's very own named after his first Grandchild. To check Chris's Cold Pie and a bit of history on Walt's love of food click the link below D23 | Disney.com

• Resident of the Caldera

Issue two is certainly a great improvement over issue one. Instead of endless promotional fluff, there are articles with actual interesting content. And the bonus Acres of Fun fan is a real plus. Fortunately I already had an original.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Thanks for the link... I was hoping that when you click on the Where in Disney... picture that it would have a larger version but it only had DCA concept art Since the answer isn't even in DCA that was a little confusing LOL

That pie looks tasty!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain

• Not a Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Fukai View Post
    Issue two is certainly a great improvement over issue one. Instead of endless promotional fluff, there are articles with actual interesting content. And the bonus Acres of Fun fan is a real plus. Fortunately I already had an original.
    Now you can archive the original and use the replica!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Fukai View Post
    does anyone have a picture of the fan?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast