Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Administrator
    • MiceChat Contributer

Blog Entries

Review of the D23 UP event at the El Capitan

D23 presented a special screening of Disney Pixar's new film UP. At 11pm on May 28th for d23 members and Dustysage and I were there for the fun. The evening opened with the live stage show "Lighten Up!" that is offered before each screening of the film.

The D23 gang invites us into the El Capitan

The evenings fun began with us entering the El Capitan and finding our seats. Once the seats were secured we got in line for the Complimentary popcorn and drink. Cool huh? Okay, so a free drink and popcorn was nice, but this was supposed to be a special event for D23 charter members. Would there be anything REALLY special in store for us besides what the normal movie goer would get? The Answer is yes.

Steven Clark

Th Auience settled into their seats and D23 head, Steven Clark, welcomed the crowd of Disney fans and thanked them for their loyalty and avid interest by announcing that everyone attending this evening would receive a special gift on their way out. Stephen then introduced the special guest of the evening and lucky charm for Pixar, John Ratzenberger. Ratzenberger spoke of how wonderful it was to be used so often by Pixar and that this movie was a particularly special. After a few fun anecdotes he reintroduced Steven, who again thanked us all for coming, and he began the show.

John Ratzenberer

"Lighten Up" Is the usual, run of the mill, stage show akin to the Celebrate, A Street Party show being presented at Disneyland Park in Anaheim. In contrast to that Street party, this show is right at home on the El Capitan stage but is still painfully unhip while trying so hard. To be fair, the performers are energetic, the characters are there, and, of course, there is confetti.

TA-DA!!!

And then the movie began

For Disney Pixar's tenth film (wow, it's been that long?) the sky's the limit. Up is A movie that cuts to the chase as much as it cuts to the heart. I may post a review of the film in the entertainment lounge but, suffice it to say, it was truly wonderful. It tells the story of Carl Carl Fredricksen (voice of Edward Asner, TV's "Lou Grant") who has longed to explore the world and finds himself doing so through keeping a promise to his deceased wife. There is heart, humor and a wonderful story. Great movie.

After the film the crowd applauded got up to leave. Waiting for us at the door were all of the wonderful D23 staff with a balloon in one hand and our special event gift in the other.

The outside lobby of the El Capitan

D23'ers saying goodbye and giving out gifts

Commemorative pin

This is what it should be. As part of the membership of D23, meaning no extra costs, Dusty and I got to see a sneak screening of the latest film, we heard one of the stars of the film speak and we even received a free commemerative gift. Not bad. Not bad at all. Too, the D23 staffers simply couldn't have been more fun, friendly and thankful that we were there. Good times.

If you get the chance make it out to the El Capitan to see UP. It is a world class presentation at a world famous theater of a wonderful film.

"All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals.
    Homer Jay Simpson

• Disney Trivia God

Re: Review of the D23 UP event at the El Capitan

Wow - wish I'd been there. Thanks for letting me live vicariously through you! And thanks for sharing the photos!

• World Traveler

How cool that you got to participate in this. Thanks for sharing this with us.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

How awesome!! What, no pics of Dusty in his "work clothes?"

Oh man that is a sweeeet freebie to get at the end! Cool! Thanks for sharing Fishy!

*edit*

Yup... Just checked out eBay... so far there are three of those pins listed. Two of them have Buy It Now prices of $148 and $149 and one is an open bid auction starting at .99. It will be interesting to see where it ends "up".
    Last edited by penguinsoda; 05-29-2009 at 05:34 AM.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Not a Minion

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    How awesome!! What, no pics of Dusty in his "work clothes?"

Oh man that is a sweeeet freebie to get at the end! Cool! Thanks for sharing Fishy!

*edit*

Yup... Just checked out eBay... so far there are three of those pins listed. Two of them have Buy It Now prices of $148 and $149 and one is an open bid auction starting at .99. It will be interesting to see where it ends "up".
    WOW! I saw those too! I wonder if they sell...

back on topic..wonderful review. I was there last night also and just loved the treats.

Is the performance going to be for everyshow? I thought it was an added treat for D23.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Awesome report! That really is something special. And it didn't cost anything for D23 members right?

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Not a Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Awesome report! That really is something special. And it didn't cost anything for D23 members right?
    it cost us around $80 to join

• Circle of Ancients

Very cool report Fishy.

Thanks

Awesome review and pictures! That was a great 1st D23 event in my mind!

• Minion

Loved the balloons at the end it was such a nice way to end the night

• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain

As my first experience with anything D23... all I can say is I'm impressed!!! Everything was spectacular and they treated us like stars. I went as a guest but am definitely going to join!!!

--Jonathan

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

I heartily agree...this event was a lot of fun. We got there a bit later than we planned, so I didn't have time to look for Dusty in his work clothes or any other MCers.

The film is fantastic, I loved it. Even though it made me cry, it really is a superb example of filmmaking, digital or not. The crew at Pixar should be justifiably proud.

I always enjoy the organ medley but I have to say the 'stage show' is typically 'live' Disney...it tries too hard and ends up just being sort of painful. I do have to give kudos for one thing, though. My son is 6 and that was the first musical live event that he has actually enjoyed, even clapping along. So whether it was just him or something about the show, I'm happy.

The balloons and pins on the way out were a great idea, a nice little bonus for the D23 members.

The event was so much fun! Also loved the balloons at the end! The movie is fantastic!

• Disneylander

Thank you for the recap. It sounds like it was a fabulous event!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by ryanvalle View Post
    it cost us around $80 to join
    I said it didn't cost anything for D23 members right? (implying the cost of joining was already behind us)

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast