• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

MiceChat Interviews Steven Clark Of D23 - Event Ticket Process, Expo, Future Events

Following yesterday's ticketing issues for D23's Disney Studios tours, I reached out to Steven Clark, Head of D23 and Executive Editor of Disney Twenty-Three Magazine, to find out a bit more about what really happened yesterday and what the minds behind the mouse might be doing about it. I also used this opportunity to ask about future D23 events. Here's a transcript of our conversation:

I understand that the Walt Disney Studio Tour event sold out almost immediately?

Yes, the demand was greater than we ever could have imagined, and we were thrilled to have so many of our members interested in the tours. However, some D23 members reported receiving "sold out" notices even though their clocks indicated it was a couple minutes before 11 a.m. Pacific Time. We recognize how frustrating this must have been and are currently working to add more tour groups on those days to accommodate members on the waitlist who were affected by this discrepancy. In addition, D23 will be offering more Archives/Studio Tour dates later this year so even more members can experience this special event (members who secured a reservation for a previous tour will not be eligible to participate again this calendar year).
    Any thoughts or advice that will help people obtain tickets to future events?
    The D23 team wants our members to know that we are trying to create very special, memorable experiences for you. The capacities will vary due to factors ranging from the venue size to what it takes to provide you with the best possible guest experience. Whether our events are in a large theater or are more intimate in nature, we will continue to offer as much access as possible to these experiences on a first-come, first-served basis.
    Anything else you are working on that you might want to tease us about?
    We just finished up meetings with our event partners around the company and have some incredible special event opportunities for our members that we'll be announcing in the coming months.
    Will most events continue to be free?
    Every year we plan to offer a mix of complimentary and admission-based experiences for our members.
    We are really looking forward to the EXPO in September. Should people rush to buy their tickets now or do you think that, with such a large venue, getting a ticket won't be as much of an issue?
    The D23 team is working around the clock with every part of Disney to prepare for the upcoming Expo, and it is shaping up to be an incredible four days! While the Anaheim Convention Center does indeed have significant capacity, we encourage people to get their tickets in advance, especially the 4-day tickets, which have been quite popular and are in limited supply. Remember that purchasing tickets as a D23 Member offers early admission opportunities.
    Is there anything else going on at D23 that we should all be aware of? Any special contests or deadlines?
    The deadline for the Fan Art Contest, where we've asked our members to send us their interpretations of the Fab Five, is next Monday. We received a terrific response to the Donald Duck Portrait Contest, and we're hoping for an equally great turn out for the Fan Art Contest. This is an amazing chance to have your Disney-inspired artwork seen by literally thousands of people.
    Thank you for taking a moment to speak with us Steven, the fans really do appreciate the effort you and the entire D23 team are putting into these events. We look forward to hearing more about future events and seeing what you have in store for us at the EXPO this September.

-Dusty

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Re: MiceChat Interviews Steven Clark Of D23 - Event Ticket Process, Expo, Future Even

I continue to be impressed with D23's focus on the fans and willingness to address issues as they arise. So far, they have addressed fan concerns about price with a slew of free events. And when faced with overwhelming demand for an event yesterday, they already have additional tours and dates planned.

While there are no doubt some folks who still feel a level of frustration with yesterday's ticketing process, all should feel better knowing that D23 is doing what it can to address the fan concerns.

Our deepest thanks go out to Stephen and his team for taking the time to speak with us. It is clear that they love the D23 project and are doing everything they can to make sure it succeeds.

-Dusty
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Diamond Edition

Re: MiceChat Interviews Steven Clark Of D23 - Event Ticket Process, Expo, Future Even

I definitely feel better about it today. I think it's a combination of having time to reflect on it and partly due to Stephen's interview. What happened yesterday wasn't an ideal situation, but the fact that the D23 team almost immediately started making plans for future tours speaks volumes about their dedication and commitment to making D23 the ultimate fan destination.

As someone who has met some of the folks behind D23 at the events, they are all great people and I trust them. I'm a little ashamed of myself for getting as upset as I did yesterday. With the exception of yesterday's hiccup, I have been extremely pleased with my membership and have convinced a lot of people to sign up as well.

I understand that some events they plan will have limited capacity and there is no guarantee that any of us will get to attend them, but the fact that they even have free events is really cool. I am excited to see what the future holds for D23 and I would probably be a member even if they didn't have events. After all, I signed up on March 10th without even knowing much about the club other than there would be a magazine and a free gift.

Nicely done, Goofystitch. I hope the others who believed the worst about Disney and D23 will follow your lead. Less than 20 hours after yesterday's problem, they looked at the situation, assessed it, had a solution and communicated the response with the goal of pleasing those fans who were complaining. That says a lot about D23! (And it says a lot that you posted your reply, too!)

• Hukuna Matata!

I am excited to find out what future event's are coming our way. I am still bummed that I signed up right after the Up Midnight showing. Good Interview Dusty.

• Always smiling

Great job Dusty! Thanks for the update.

• Prefect

Blog Entries

Great interview! It's nice to see that they are listening to their members and making adjustments so quickly.
    <o>

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Thanks for the interview Dusty! It's great to see D23 actually reach out not only to fans, but to fan sites, to read and communicate with the people who are the built in fan base. It's a smart move and I think it's paying off on both ends.

I just hope they offer more East Coast events, specifically NYC.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Disneylander

Dusty - thank you so much for going straight to the source to get answers to our questions. Thank you to Stephen Clark for talking to Mice Chat. We love Mice Chat.

• Disney Trivia God

My thanks also go out to Stephen and Dusty for putting this together. I'm glad to know that D23 is serious about making this an excellent experience for everyone.