• Banned User

How to Request a Refund from D23 Membership

Like many people here, I joined D23 immediately have learning of their club events in Southern California. That was the main--and only--reason I shelled out $75. The magazine, not very good, IMO. The certificate, no interest. I've been online, refresing the ticket page for the last two ticket offerings: Disneyland on the 17th and the studio tours. I logged on the minute the ticket link appeared; I had my club member stored in memory so I wouldn't need to type it; but both times, I came away empty handed. The events were both sold out by 11:01. These were advertised as club events, when in actuality they are prizes in a lottery, with a $75 entry fee.

Does anyone here have information on how to request a refund of membership?

Is anyone else with me that the scant opportunity to "win" extremely rare tickets is not worth $75? And that this was not our expectations when joining the "club"?

• Banned User

Re: How to Request a Refund from D23 Membership

Yes, I've seen the "no refunds" pollicy. But clearly, the pitch for this club--with its club events--was made in such a way a reasonable person would have expectations of receiving some of these benefits when joining. That was not the case. In fairness, maybe D23 didn't understand the demand. But either way, I'm not interested in a $75 quarterly magazine that features photos of the Jonas Brothers.

For me, the primary purpose of the Expo is to see if any humans actually exist at D23 and to share my frustrations. I am sure they don't really care. They got my money already. When you write you get canned responses that are not relevant to the question asked.

I am with you 100%.

• Diamond Edition

On March 10th when D23 went live, the only events advertised were Up All Night and the D23 Expo, both of which had a large capacity. The other promises were the quarterly magazine, a membership kit, and a special gift. Nowhere was there a guarantee that you would get to attend events. Only the fact that there would be events that you would have the opportunity to attent. It is unfortunate that the two events you have tried to attend sold out. Heck, I was very angry at first about not getting into the studio and archives tours and was also frustrated today when I was unsuccessful at getting into the Disneyland event. I am lucky that my boyfriend got through and that I get to attend as his quest, but I understand your disappointment and anger.

However, the club has many aspects that Disney fans should be interested in. I for one love Disney Twenty-Three magazine and read each issue cover to cover. I love the free surprises they have thrown our way, such as the replica Disneyland fan and the day 1 member pin. I went to the first event, the Dave Pacheco autograph signing at Disneyland, as well as Up All Night, Flowers and Fireworks, and D23 Night at Mary Poppins. I am very much looking forward to D23 Expo, which I used my membership to get a discount on. And I have so far collected all of the D23 pins and the beige T-shirts, which I wear proudly around the parks here at Disney World.

The point that I am making is that D23 has many benefits and to join exclusively for the events is bound to lead to disappointment. As you know, Disney does not give refunds on memberships. That was in the terms and conditions that you clicked "I agree" to when you bought your membership. Those terms also never promised that any of us would get to attend any events. Since you did join solely for the events, I would advise you not to renew your membership, but don't expect a reimbursement.

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandtour View Post
    I'm not interested in a $75 quarterly magazine that features photos of the Jonas Brothers.
    Just curious if you have actually read the magazine? To characterize it in such a manner is completely inaccurate and unfair. In a 60 page magazine there are 2 pages that feature Disney Celebs. The rest of the book is filled with great articles and beautiful photography. You make it sound like it is US Weekly or InTouch. If you are upset about not being able to get tickets for events that is one thing, but there is no need to tear down a great magazine.

• Banned User

I got it solely for the magazine which is for my mother who spends most of her life in the house as she is a very hypersensitive neurovariant. She loves the magazine and little gifts like the fan. I think for about $7 a month her happiness is well worth the investment.

I would love to go to the events but knew from the start that they would open the event to all member even if there are only 10 or 50 openings. I also knew that some event would be impossible because of the location, walking, eating, and or subject matter. I woudl love to go to WDW, Paris, and ot see backstage tours of the parks. I how ever know that when I signed up I was just getting a glossy magazine, elite stuff to buy and maybe a trip to the expo.

Financially the expo is on the bottom of my list as I rather spend that money at a motel and eat my way silly at the parks.

i wish you luck on your endeavors.

• Diamond Edition

I agree that Disney Twenty-Three is a top notch magazine. I eagerly await the arrival of each issue and read them cover to cover. I also joined because I was interested in the club and it's guaranteed offerings, not for the events. The events that I have gone to have been a wonderful bonus. Also, D23 is almost 4 months old. This is the first year and we knew going in to it that some things would be trial and error. I think the amount of criticism that some people have slammed them with is unfair. In addition, some people on here act like their $75 membership fee makes them the be all end all of Disney fans and that Disney needs to bow down to them and acquiesce to their every demand. I want to know where these people got the impression that their $75 was worth more than mine?

I'm pretty sure ¨No refunds on membership fees¨ means that you wont get a refund. Point is if your not happy your stuck with getting your next two issues of the magazine until your membership is up. At which point just dont renew. You're fee doesnt guarantee access to events it only guarantees that you join a club that perhaps not your typical park goer will join. It guarantees that you will be in a club among people that enjoy Disney as much as you do. Thats all your fees really guarantee.

I plan on joining and if I can get into these exclusive events then cool but if not I know perfectly well that they have never guaranteed that I would attend such events. If you feel like you just purchased a ticket for a lousy raffle then I wouldnt mind if you sent whatever gifts they might send you with your magazine over my way til your subscription is up

• Closed Account

Well the Disney Yearbook was supposed to be a "top notch" publication and look what happened to that endeavor! One and only one issue! A collector's item now!

The D23 Magazine is nice but could have been reduced to a glossy magazine rather than a high end, glossy, fine paper publication. It discusses many of the things that are happening with Disney and the fans but the cost might be a factor into producing the publication. I read them to but they are made as if they should be kept in a plastic jacket..... as if it were an investment.......

As far as refunds and events sponsored by D23 that is difficult to say! We also didn't get the behind the scenes tour but were slated as alternates. The good folks working the D23 Studio Tours told us that they added an additional 5 all day tours for people that didn't get the tickets for the first round. I also was told by them that they were not anticipating the crowds and interest level that has been hitting D23 membership.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

I think that since this thread was started many months ago, most of the concerns that anyone might have had with D23 have long been resolved. The many events of this past summer were not necessary to make the membership worth while, but were very much appreciated. Some events had lots of availability, others did not. But at least they were offered to the fans. And that's pretty cool.

I'm sure we'll hear about all sorts of new things at the Expo, and then there are the Fall/Winter events which we can likely look forward to.

I'm quite satisfied. I was able to get into 2 of the Summer events and with my guest in tow, I feel that I've gotten far more than $75 worth of value out of my membership. And I love the magazine.

If you aren't sure that a D23 membership is right for you, don't sign up for it. But I think that most Disney fans will find a lot of value in the Magazine and membership.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,