Thread: D23 Website

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

D23 Website

I'm interested to know what you all think of the D23 Website.

Up until recently I was very impressed with the site. The articles were excellent and I could visit often enough to find new articles up on every visit. Lately I find the site has been lacking a bit. Take for example the news today that Hong Kong Disneyland is to expand the park, with three new lands. This information is up and available to read on many online forums and blogs. But nothing has been mention on the D23 website, now about a month a go D23 was all over the opening of Monsters Inc in Tokyo and also had an article up on the annoucement from Tokyo Disney Resort on Toy Story Mania. But so far no word on Hong Kong Disneyland, but there is a piece up on a new small Pirate street show in Adventureland at WDW. Also when was the last time the Twilight Bark on the News and Features page was updated.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Re: D23 Website

I like the D23 web site a lot but don't have much time to read it. I try to check once or twice a week to read the various stories and see what is in the Archives.

Because they do "Reporting" and interview various people within the company, many of their stories appear after we read about them on sites like MiceChat but we tend to see a greater detail and a bit more insider info on the D23 version.

I'm sure that we'll eventually see some sort of Hong Kong Disneyland story on D23 which goes beyond the Press Release driven version that you saw here and elsewhere. Had D23 done the same, people wouldn't have been impressed. We expect a bit more from them since they presumably have more access to the actual sources of information.

That's my take on it. Overall it is a really good looking site with a navigation that doesn't go quite deep enough (hard to find content which drops off the front page).

-Dusty
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Diamond Edition

I love the website and eagerly check it twice daily because sometimes things aren't posted until the end of the day. I agree with what Dustysage said about the fact that their articles are detailed and filled with insider information, so naturally it would take them longer to get out a story than a website that copy and pastes a press release, which is no doubt how you found out about the news. D23 isn't a press site, its a site for fans. I'm sure a very nice article will be written that will go in depth.

And I'm also hoping a full article will be in an upcoming issue of Disney Twenty-Three. My fingers are crossed for Fall.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Info has been posted about the HKDL expansion. Nothing new, but at least it's there. Hopefully they will add more as more details become available.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

They should be a little more careful about proof-reading the information that is posted. They previously had listed Disney's Touchstone Pictures' 'The Proposal' premieres June 12th (meaning opening in theatres), when the film's opening day wasn't until June 19th. That info was posted incorrectly for nearly 2 1/2 weeks.

Now they have the studios' 'G-Force' premieres July 24 at Pacific Amphitheatre. That's the films' previously announced release date and there is an X concert scheduled at the Pac Amp on that date.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Diamond Edition

Are you sure that "premiers" meant opening in theaters nationwide? Because The Proposal had sneak previews on June 12th, thus being the first time it "premiered" to regular audiences.

As for G-Force, the official website and IMDB both claim it opens July 24th. I'm not sure where you heard the date changed, but apparently Disney hasn't updated their own information yet, so naturally D23 wouldn't be updated either. But I do agree that the information on the Pacific Amphitheater is weird, especially since June 24th is the nationwide release date and therefore, there wouldn't be a location.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by goofystitch View Post
    Are you sure that "premiers" meant opening in theaters nationwide? Because The Proposal had sneak previews on June 12th, thus being the first time it "premiered" to regular audiences.

As for G-Force, the official website and IMDB both claim it opens July 24th. I'm not sure where you heard the date changed, but apparently Disney hasn't updated their own information yet, so naturally D23 wouldn't be updated either. But I do agree that the information on the Pacific Amphitheater is weird, especially since June 24th is the nationwide release date and therefore, there wouldn't be a location.
    The language of professional film promotion is quite basic and specific. With regards to 'The Proposal' the following is true: Premiere - 6/1, Sneak Previews - 6/12 and Opens in Theatres - 6/19. My point was what D23 had posted for an extended period of time was incorrect, they even eventually did change it to the correct date, 6/19 but still used the word premieres. Where this info coming directly from the studio's publicity and promotion departments that term would definitely not be utilized.

And I did not state anywhere that 'G-Force's opening date of 7/24 had changed, I simply pointed out some misinformation that D23 had listed with regards to that film. The Pac Amp info just made it a more glaring oddity, it looks as if the event listed after it confused whomever updated their website. FYI, the 'G-Force' premiere is scheduled for 7/19.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

the site now reads:

G-Force Premieres
    July 24
    Theaters Everywhere

• Diamond Edition

Again, I think that whenever D23 posts a Twilight Bark about a film, it is intended as the day that D23 members are able to see the film. While June 24th isn't the date of the Hollywood premier of the film, it is the date that the film opens in theaters nationwide. I don't see anything wrong with them using the word "premier." I'm not saying that there aren't mistakes from time to time, but I don't see this as a big deal.

D23 is pretty much new still and probably in the development phases. Yes I think it could be a lot better. Instead of simply being a news source page it would be interesting to have some other features.

I think they need to hire someone who actually goes to the many different disney blogs and message boards to give them some insight into things they could add in order to plus the website not to mention make more people join.

Ex.
    What about a member section, where members can create a public profile and connect with others that are members. I mean I would love to know how many official members are in D23 and if there are any in my city.

What about breaking the site down into certain categories....Parks & Resorts, Consumer Products, Animation and Feature Films, etc. Take the lead by looking at the companies very own matrix and divisions and then tailor it to what the most popular sections are.

What about special webisodes where members can log on and see special clips...maybe imagineers talking about hong kong or someone taking us behind the scenes of Burton's Alice....

They just need to get some REAL fans in there to help, have they ever heard of brainstorming sessions....take the lead for your imagineers....

I dunno...I've been looking on Disney Careers to see if D23 has even posted any jobs...alas nothing. So basically the people that are heading it up are probably a really small team. Oh well here's to the future. I hope it gets better!!!

• Diamond Edition

terp79 wrote:
    What about a member section, where members can create a public profile and connect with others that are members. I mean I would love to know how many official members are in D23 and if there are any in my city.
    I don't think we will ever see a "members only" section because the website was always intended to be for everybody. And as far as creating profiles, do you want D23 to just become another social networking site? If you have a Facebook, you can become a fan of D23 and probably find other members in your area though there, but at some point it begins to boarder on stalking.

What about breaking the site down into certain categories....Parks & Resorts, Consumer Products, Animation and Feature Films, etc. Take the lead by looking at the companies very own matrix and divisions and then tailor it to what the most popular sections are.
    I don't think this should happen because frankly, there isn't enough news in some of the divisions and it decreases the ease of use of the site. It's nice to just log in and have featured stories on the main page, then go to "New and Features" and see the most recent stories. This is also a better system for somebody who checks the site once a week. They can easily distinguish between what is new and what is old. If an article doesn't appeal to you, you don't have to read it, but putting it in no-man's land on the website will ensure that less people have the opportunity to read it.

What about special webisodes where members can log on and see special clips...maybe imagineers talking about hong kong or someone taking us behind the scenes of Burton's Alice....
    That would be cool. I would like to see something like that, but I don't know how financially feasible it is. Plus, Disney as a whole might be disinclined to let D23 do this because they could get more exposure by putting it as a featured video on disney.com. And these types of videos make Disney money if they save them for DVD and Blu-Ray releases, which is another reason why I doubt anything like that will happen.

They just need to get some REAL fans in there to help, have they ever heard of brainstorming sessions....take the lead for your imagineers....
    From going to several events, I can attest to the fact that the people who run D23 are REAL fans. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with the website aside from a few typos or Twilight Barks with wrong information. I think a lot of people are way to critical of it. It is what it is. Take it or leave it.

I dunno...I've been looking on Disney Careers to see if D23 has even posted any jobs...alas nothing. So basically the people that are heading it up are probably a really small team.
    It is a really small team and if I'm not mistaken, they only hire from within the company. All of the people who work for D23 that I have met have worked for Disney for a long time, so I don't think you will ever see any public job openings at D23.

I still think the website is pedestrian at best and I do believe there is enough news to create more updated features (better centergy and inclusion).

• Diamond Edition

I think that functionality should be the greatest importance and the current layout is very functional. Personally, I would get annoyed having to click "segments" and then choose from more than 10 other pages to get news stories for individual aspects of the company, and then have to click back to get to the next page, which doesn't guarantee to have new articles. For Disney fans who are interested in multiple aspects of the company, the current method is the easiest.