• D23 Lover!

D23 - walt disney family museum preview: September, 2009

Any speculation on when this might occur? I've been waiting know when it is, so I can plan and book my trip.

I'm hoping that it will be the last weekend of September. It officially opens October 1st, so that would make sense right? It's also the only time I would be able to make it.

First weekend (Sept 5-6) is Labor Day -- my parents are coming to visit, and I only get to see them 2-3 times a year, so I think they would be mad if I went to San Fran instead. Haha. I feel like they wouldn't have the preview on Labor Day Weekend anyway, though. Second weekend (12th-13th) is the Expo -- Probably not gonna be then. At least they would be crazy to have it that weekend. The next weekend (19th-20th) is my boyfriend's birthday, so I'm crossing my fingers it's not then. He said he didn't mind if I went if it was that weekend, but I wouldn't desert him on his birthday. The last weekend is the 26th and 27th, just a few days before October 1st. That makes the most sense, right?

Though I suppose they might not even make it on a weekend. Disneyland USA is on a Friday. The only reason I can make that one is because I'm from LA, and currently not working. I will hopefully have a job by September.

So I guess I'm saying the only way I can go is if it's on the 26th or 27th of September. And I reaaaallly want to know as soon as possible.

Haha, didn't mean to make this post that personal.

• Disneylander

Re: D23 - walt disney family museum preview: September, 2009

I think it makes sense that this would be towards the end of the month. Labor Day is probably not ideal for the D23 team because they will probably super focused on D23 Expo. This could be wishful thinking on my part because I will be in SoCal from Labor Day weekend to Expo. We are in the Dland half marathon the Sunday before Labor Day and staying for Expo.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

The better question is: When will tickets be available and how many seconds will it take for them to sell out?

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

I am looking forward to seeing this. We should organize a group visit!
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• D23 Lover!

Quote Originally Posted by Figaro View Post
    We are in the Dland half marathon the Sunday before Labor Day and staying for Expo.
    Awesome! Good luck with that! I really want to run the half marathon at some point. Won't be in good enough shape this year, but I hope for next year! I forgot that that was Labor Day weekend.

And in response to disneytim, I don't think tickets will sell out as fast for this. It's a museum - can probably fits hundreds of people. Though, maybe that's just wishful thinking!

The museum is not instilling a lot of hope in me. News about it has been slow to come, they haven't wanted to seem to engage any of the fan community. It's like they think this will be seen as real high art, even as it sits near the DeYoung museum and the Palace of the Legion of Honor. What are they trying to accomplish? Why is it in San Francisco? How will it fit in to the overall Disney experience?

I'm all for the museum, but from a marketing and PR perspective, they seem to really, really have botched the launch!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Are you confused about just where you've chosen to air these complaints?
    Are they not providing the opportunity for members of D23 fan club chances to be one of the preview groups in September?

It's a museum not a theme park, the high art jab misses the mark. Their aim would appear to be for a high quality experience.

Also many of the answers to your questions above can be found in the articles at the links posted in our Walt Disney Family Museum thread:
    http://micechat.com/forums/news/1144...ly-museum.html
    You'll also find membership and ticket information there.

Their long-time existing website is being updated and will launch on 8/1 along with ticket purchasing opportunities, etc.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Quote Originally Posted by *Arielle* View Post
    Awesome! Good luck with that! I really want to run the half marathon at some point. Won't be in good enough shape this year, but I hope for next year! I forgot that that was Labor Day weekend.

And in response to disneytim, I don't think tickets will sell out as fast for this. It's a museum - can probably fits hundreds of people. Though, maybe that's just wishful thinking!
    The museum will be operating with a timed entry. Every 15 minutes they will let a another batch of guests through. I understand capacity is 240 people per hour.

As for the question as to why it is in the Bay area, that is where Walt's daughter, Diane Disney Miller, lives. It is the family foundation that owns and operates the $110 million facility. The Walt Disney Company does not have anything to do with the museum other than having a special interest in the museum's focus and I am sure some sort of financial contribution. Plus, they have one of the most incredible locations in the US being at the Presido.

If you go to Jim Hill's site you can see a summary of the first few press releases with pricing and membership information.

I understand the originial Lilly Belle will be running....

Quote Originally Posted by disneytim View Post
    The better question is: When will tickets be available and how many seconds will it take for them to sell out?
    As for the way D23 will handle this, I agree with you. I have learned to have very low expectations of the organization.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by *Arielle* View Post
    I think it will sell out very fast. D23's habit, so far, has been to limit ticket availability to make their events more exclusive. I would not be surprised to see tickets limited to 100 or less, but like you I hope more are available so we all have a good chance of getting them.

Quote Originally Posted by EC82 View Post
    The museum is not instilling a lot of hope in me. News about it has been slow to come, they haven't wanted to seem to engage any of the fan community. It's like they think this will be seen as real high art, even as it sits near the DeYoung museum and the Palace of the Legion of Honor. What are they trying to accomplish? Why is it in San Francisco? How will it fit in to the overall Disney experience?
    As Mousecat noted, The Walt Disney Company has very little to do with the Walt Disney Family Museum. Consequently, the marketing of the museum has been somewhat low-key--not surprising considering how media shy Diane Disney Miller is. She rarely gives interviews and is very distrusting of the press, who have not always been kind to her dad. Likewise, she doesn't have much appreciation for hardcore Disney fans who blindly idolize Walt. As she once told Disney biographer Neal Gabler, "You know what I really hate? I hate books that make my father out to be a plaster saint."

The purpose of the museum is to bring Walt Disney back down to human terms. He's been a corporate symbol way too long. To locate the museum close to where his family now lives and far away from Burbank and Anaheim seems especially appropriate and necessary. It's a Family Museum, not Museum Mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by Mousecat View Post
    As for the way D23 will handle this, I agree with you. I have learned to have very low expectations of the organization.
    I didn't say I had low expectations of how D23 will handle the event. On the contrary, I think they'll do just fine. But tickets will be limited, and they will be gone fast.
    Last edited by disneytim; 07-15-2009 at 07:54 PM.

• Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by disneytim View Post
    I think it will sell out very fast. D23's habit, so far, has been to limit ticket availability to make their events more exclusive. I would not be surprised to see tickets limited to 100 or less, but like you I hope more are available so we all have a good chance of getting them.
    I was thinking there was limited availability so they could keep the events intimate...