• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain

Attendance at Special Events limited per member?

Well, I'm finally an official D23 Member after putting if off for long enough. I've been watching the Special Events that they've been putting on from afar and they all look amazing (I even got to attend on as a guest, the "Up all night" screening).

I noticed quite a bit of discussion about the limited availability of the tix to these events, and the difficulty many have had getting any at all (and noticed some members who have been lucky enough to attend almost all). In the discussion threads for the various events, the topic of limiting availability to events has been discussed, but it seems that they haven't done it yet?

I was looking around the D23 website for really the first time at any length, and I came across this "fine print" disclaimer at the bottom of the Studios and Archives Tour description page:

Available only to D23 Members in good standing. Members may reserve a ticket for themselves and one (1) guest. Members may only attend one event per calendar year. There are a limited number of tickets available. D23 Members will be required to provide their membership number when reserving tickets. Tickets may be picked up only with a valid photo ID and the Member's D23 membership card. D23 Members who do not bring their membership card, may not be admitted to the event. All D23 Special Events are subject to change without notice.
    ONE event per year?! Is this a new policy?? I haven't seen it discussed here yet... if it isn't a new policy, they sure aren't very good at enforcing it! I've seen many posts by members who have attended multiple events!

I kind of agree that limiting the attendance per member is a good idea... but only ONE seems a bit harsh! It is now apparent that the prime reason to become a D23 member are the Special Events... but limiting it to one per year significantly cuts down on the value of the membership IMHO.

What's the real deal on this??

[edit] I just noticed Kevin Yee's older thread on this topic... but it looks like it was just speculation... ? Why would they have this printed rule and not enforce it?
    Last edited by DOOM BGI; 07-24-2009 at 01:26 AM.
    --Jonathan

Re: Attendance at Special Events limited per member?

I think they mean one studio tour per calendar year, not one event.

• Not a Minion

I understand that this relates to the Archives tour only. Being that it is such a high demand event, d23 can work to make more tours availabe later in the calendar year. That bring the case, they don't want members who have attended before to take up space so they are limited to just one attendance of that event. However, if there are future screenings or events, you will be still allwed to attended at a first come, first serve basis during registration.

I have attended the Up screening, Disneyland event, and now have tickets for Mondays event for ponyo's premiere so I am certain it's not one per year.

• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by Sk8Leigh View Post
    I think they mean one studio tour per calendar year, not one event.
    Well, that certainly is not very clear from the wording. They very easily could have stated so. I appears to me that they are pre-positioning themselves to start a limit, but have simply not enforced it yet. Just my take.

Has this not appeared in any of the other event descriptions as of yet?
    --Jonathan

• DMTNT

Quote Originally Posted by DOOM BGI View Post

The Studio Tour is the only event that mentions it. If you look at the Museum event (which is after the Studio Tour) there is no mention of the one event per member.

They are restricting the Studio Tour to once per year per member to make sure everyone has a fair chance to go on it.

• Not a Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DOOM BGI View Post
    Well, that certainly is not very clear from the wording. They very easily could have stated so. I appears to me that they are pre-positioning themselves to start a limit, but have simply not enforced it yet. Just my take.

Well, you're only looking at that one event. If you were there a few weeks back when more events were listed, you'd see that only the tour listed that. The Disneyland tour does not say that nor did the Ponyo.

Each even listing lists their limitations such as available to good standing members and given out on a first come first serve basis...stuff like that...

• Addicted to MC since '08

Whew, you scared me there for a second!