Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• Disneylander

D23 Expo Auction Info

This was just posted to the d23 site. I think it's interesting that they are charging to get into the auction. Does anyone know if Disney usually charges for these types of events?

D23 EXPO LIVE AUCTION

Join us in the Arena on September 12 at 7 p.m. for an ultimate Disney Fan experience on as we unveil the magic of Disney during our D23 Expo Live Auction. Disney enthusiasts will have the opportunity to bid on our unique Walt Disney Studio and Theme Park experiences, tours, artwork, props and more. Please continue to watch for more information available in August regarding the D23 auction experience, bidding packages, auction lots, and more.

Event Date: Saturday, September 12, 2009
    Event Time: 7:00 PM
    Event Location: Anaheim Convention Center Anaheim, CA

D23 Expo Live Auction Information:
    Join us for an ultimate Disney fan experience as we unveil the magic of Disney during our D23 Expo Live Auction. Disney enthusiasts will have the opportunity to bid on unique Walt Disney Studio and Theme Park experiences, tours, artwork, props and more.

D23 Expo Auctioneers Package

Preferred floor seating
    ONE (1) D23 Expo Live Auction Commemorative Catalog
    ONE (1) D23 Expo Live Auction Paddle
    ONE (1) D23 Expo Live Auction Limited Edition Pin

Ticket Sale Information:
    Admission to the D23 Expo Live Auction is included in all D23 Expo tickets. There will be an additional "Auctioneers Package" fee required for guests who wish to participate in the auction.

Tickets for the D23 Auctioneers Package are $40 each. No discounts will be offered in conjunction with this package. Separate D23 Expo admission is required. Subject to availability.
    Guests wishing to participate in the D23 Live Auction at the Anaheim Convention Center - Anaheim, CA on Saturday, September 12, 2009, may purchase "Auctioneers Package" tickets beginning Wednesday, August 5, 2009 at 2 PM (Eastern Time).

TO REGISTER, PLEASE CLICK HERE.

ALL ELEMENTS OF THE EVENT AND THE PACKAGE ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE. No items in this package may be redeemed for cash, and all items (and portions thereof) are non-refundable, non-transferable and will be forfeited if not used in conjunction with the D23 Expo Live Auction on Saturday, September 12, 2009. Other restrictions apply. Disney

• DMTNT

Re: D23 Expo Auction Info

Quote Originally Posted by Figaro View Post
    This was just posted to the d23 site. I think it's interesting that they are charging to get into the auction. Does anyone know if Disney usually charges for these types of events?
    They are only charging for guests who do not have tickets to the Expo.

"Admission to the D23 Expo Live Auction is included in all D23 Expo tickets. There will be an additional "Auctioneers Package" fee required for guests who wish to participate in the auction."

Actually dsnyfn I read this differently. If you bought a ticket for the Expo you can watch the auction but you cannot particpate. If you wish to particpate, you must pay an additional $40 for that privilege. You will recieve a prefered seat, a paddle, a catalog, and a pin.

So a D23 member going for the one day would pay $30 to get in and an additional $40to bid. If you don't buy anything you still get the paddle, catalog, and pin. My hope is that would be like a regular auction and put the catalog up online prior to the event so people can do the appropriate research and budgeting.

Disney auctions in the past tended to be charity events. This one does not follow that pattern.

• DMTNT

I stand corrected.

On second reading, I noticed that the fee is to bid. At least if you don't buy anything you end up with the paddle and pin for your Disney collection.

Wow. $30-111 to get into the expo for the day and then an extra $40 on top of that for the opportunity/chance to possibly spend more money?

Ok, the last auction that was held in Anaheim was at the Dream, Imagine, Create ~ The Art of Disney Parks Event on September 13 - 15, 2007. At that event, every ticket included the opportunity to participate in Live Auction. Every ticket expect for the lowest one and the phone bidder package also included the opportunity to participate in the silent auction. (Yeah, I know, that event was mainly focused around the auction and the following Dream Sale).

Then there was the auction at the Celebrating 50 Years of Magical Memories Auction" on July 15, 2005. Everyone attending the event was able to to spend more money at the auction if they wanted to without having to pay an extra fee.

Disney auctions in the past tended to be charity events. This one does not follow that pattern.
    I know in the last couple auctions, besides maybe a few lots that were for charity, a vast majority was not.

Also, since the tickets for the Auction packages go on sale tomorrow, will the auction lots be posted by them or are they expecting us to sign up and pay for the opportunity to bid on stuff we don't know what it is yet?

• Disneylander

Maybe with the size of Expo this is the only way they can make sure the serious bidders are up front.

• Too far from Disney World

Doesn't look like it will be open for phone bids either
    With great pride: Disney Store Cast Member August 2011-Present

D23 Charter Member - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

WDW Trips: June 2012, 2010, 2008, 2007, 1997, 1996, 1994

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Here's my suggestion regarding the auction.

I've been to lots of auctions over the years. Many of them (Especially event auctions - including Disney run auctions) charge an auction fee or bidding fee - Disneyland's various Haunted Mansion events come to mind (with fees usually in the hundreds of dollars). This helps weed out the folks who are just there to gawk and not bid. Considering the number of people who will be at the Expo it is probably a VERY good thing that they are charging for the auction.

Understand that we will likely see some rather large pieces up for sale - original art - attraction vehicles - etc. Though I'm sure there will be smaller items as well.

If you aren't 100% sure if you should buy the bidders package, HOLD OFF! They will be making most of the items known soon and then you can make up your mind if it is worth it to you.

Auctions usually aren't a lot of fun to watch. This isn't one of those things you'll want to attend if you don't have wads of cash burning a hole in your pocket. That's what the $40 fee is really all about. This is for the die hard collectors and those who see items listed that they have been dying to add to their collections.

So, let's wait and see what's listed first and then make a decision if you'll be attending.

I know a couple of MiceChatters whom I'm sure will be attending come hell or high water.

Depending on what I see listed for the auction, I'll probably attend. $40 seems VERY cheap compared to previous Disney auctions of this type.

-Dusty
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by Mousecat View Post
    I would disagree with this statement. While I'm sure Disney has done some auctions for charity, they have done MANY auctions for the benefit of the Walt Disney Co.

I have been to several (and spent way too much money). They have usually been associated with the major "special merchandise events". Just some of the few I have personally attended have been at the WDW "999 Happy Haunts" event ('04), "50 Years of Magical Memories" Event DLR ('05), POTC "Adventure on the Seven Seas" event in WDW ('07), and the infamous "Dream, Imagine, Create" Dream Sale event at DLR ('07).

All these events had auctions of special merchandise, artwork, one-of-a-kind memorabilia, etc. While there were some items at these events listed as charitable (proceeds given to charity), the auctions as a whole were definitely not charity events! WDES has plenty of experience putting on auctions.

As someone who has been to several, I think they are a lot of fun! Even if you don't plan of bidding, they are very entertaining and very exciting. It's easy to get caught up in the hoopla. I guess I disagree with you there, Dusty!
    --Jonathan

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

o
    Quote Originally Posted by DOOM BGI View Post
    I guess I disagree with you there, Dusty!
    LOL - I'm just trying to discourage people from paying for the auction fee if they aren't really serious about it. I've sat through way too many auctions where I really didn't have the money to spend and ended up wasting a lot of time for nothing. But it is certainly a whole different story if you've got the bucks to bid.

I've gotten wrapped up in auction excitement and paid way too much for something on more than one occasion. You can also get good deals if you know what something is worth. They can be as addictive as gambling if you aren't careful And I'm sure that Disney will be VERY glad to see you in particular show up!

Doom BGI, Skyway Girl, and Circarama storm the D23 Auction and buy . . . EVERYTHING!
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Thanks GhostHost and DOOM BGI. I wasn't aware of all of the auctions as I tend to lean towards charity ones. Maybe it is the feeling that the Mouse gets its fair share already with my other interests. Good to know. Love these boards. Always something new to learn.

I would think they are going to bring out some big guns for this one. Should be interesting to see what they offer. Any speculation on what they might offer? What would make the collector world mark this down as a key event?

Quote Originally Posted by Mousecat View Post
    I would think they are going to bring out some big guns for this one. Should be interesting to see what they offer. Any speculation on what they might offer? What would make the collector world mark this down as a key event?
    I would not even want to being to think about what Disney may offer. The last 2 auctions at Disneyland were during the Dream, Imagine and Create event in 2007 and the auction during the 50th event.

For a compairson of what Disney has offered in the past check these out. Also, just a note that it looks like there is a Live Auction only ad the D23 Expo and not a silent auction as other events have had both.

http://www.register123.com/event/pro...3&varPage=info

http://www.register123.com/event/pro...rPage=location

http://www.register123.com/profile/w...rPage=activity

Just have to wait and see how the D23 Auction lots compare to these Disneyland auction lots.

• Disney Trivia God

I'm going to hold off on buying an auction paddle until I can see what's up for auction. If there's nothing that interests me in the catalog, then I'll take that $40 and blow it somewhere else at the Expo.

Even if I don't end up buying the $40 package, I'll probably still go watch the auction. I've been to plenty of auctions over the years, and they're always fun to watch and try to guess how much something will sell for. But knowing the Disney auctions from the past, odds are everything that I'd like to own will be waaaaaaaay out of my price range. Already my wife has made me promise not to come home with a broken Doom Buggy or an old Skyway car.

GhostHost those links are great! Thank you. Wow. Okay, put down the credit card....

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast