Thread: Is it worth it?

• Honorary Dapper Dan

Is it worth it?

Simple question. Is the D23 membership worth the $75 it costs to join? What are your pros and cons?
    "I can stand the sight of worms,
    and look at microscopic germs,
    but technicolor pachyderms
    are really too much for me."

Re: Is it worth it?

Yes, you're basically paying for your magazine subscription costs. The "extra perks" are an added bonus! Don't join just to do the events you've seen and heard about, not ALL member get to participate in them, again, those are an added perk and based upon availability. They aren't guarenteed based upon your paid membership costs. Hope that helps =)

I guess it largely depends on if you were going to buy the magazine or not and if you get to make it out to any of the events. If you were, then I would say its worth it because you always get a cool little vintage replica souvenir with each magazine. I attended the Up All Night event and thought the membership was totally worth it. There have been problems with signing up for other events, but hopefully the process will be smoother in the future. Also, as more news from the Expo starts to leak out, the early admission for D23 members is sounding like a good idea as well.

Exactly, also we need to remember, this is the 1st year, so theres gonna be some glitches along the way. =)

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

I think if your a local from California, than the membership is very much worth the $75. D23 has offered a lot of freebies and extras that only people on the West Coast can enjoy like the Studio Tours and the Up screenings. Also coming next month Members will have the Expo right on its doorstep. The East Coast also seems to be getting a good deal here with special events at the WDW parks. For someone like me who does not live in America and had to pay an extra $50 for shipping, I'm not sure if I would consider the $125 worth it.

The reason for joining it, was mainly for the Magazines which I do find to be high quality and full on content that I can enjoy. The graph was also a nice freebie, but I have yet to frame it. I do apreciate the free gifts that are coming with the Magazines like the fan, although shipping is incredibly slow. And it takes about three weeks to arrive after everyone else recieves there issues. Items from Amazon.com not only ship for cheaper, but arrive within a week. Because of my position in the World I can not enjoy any of the special events, although I did save a few $ dollers on Expo tickets. Personally I think D23 is worth the cost if you live in one of the few States in America like California that D23 seems to cater towards. And perhaps D23 could in future lower its prices to members that are not in a position to enjoy all the benefits.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wavy Blue View Post
    Simple question. Is the D23 membership worth the $75 it costs to join? What are your pros and cons?
    Depends on your level of fan-dom. If you are a big Disney nut, like I am, you'll want to be a D23 member for the magazine, little gifts, discounts, info, and surprises.

Honestly, I've been to a few D23 events already this year and I sort of feel bad about it because I know the Disney company has spent far more on me and my guests than I paid for the membership!

I certainly had my reservations about the $75 fee at first, but it is totally worth it in retrospect. I'm glad that I waived my better judgment at the time and took the leap!

If you browse through the events and info in our D23 forum, I think you'll be able to decide if these are things you'd like to be a part of or not.

Cheers and let us know what you decide,

Dusty
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Not a Minion

To me, I say D23 has been worth it. For the two events I've gone to and taken my brother as a guests, he asked me how much did I pay for membership and I tell him the amount, only with him to respond, "That's it?"

Of course, as said above, it all depends on your dedication on going to the events they offer as they are truely one of a kind that I feel nobody else can offer. If you get the magazine only and attend none of the events, then really, you won't be getting the full experience as a D23 member.

On the other hand, some have seemed to just buy a membership to buy exclusive items online and to them, financially, its paid off being a member by re-selling items and gifts on ebay.

So as for you, you just need to justify if you can make the events which have mostly been in Southern California, with a few expansions to Florida, and a few other major cities. If you can't make it down here in Cali, I am sure tha tin the coming years, more events will spread out around the US and eventually the globe, and waiting for it certainly won't hurt financially.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

My wife and I live in New York, so it's not entirely feasible to make the events. However, with that being said, I still consider the $75 worth it. the magazine alone is practically worth the price, and with the free gifts it makes it even more enticing. Hopefully we'll be able to make some of the events soon, but for now, we are enjoying the mag and excited to see what the future brings to D23.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Shablagoo!

At this point, it is not really worth it for me. If I lived somewhere Disney had a presence, I would say it probably is worth it. As it is now I rarely get to the parks, and would rather save the money for a trip down. Now if D23 starts having member events in Seattle, I may join.

• Honorary Dapper Dan

Thanks for the response, everyone! Considering I only make it out to California once or twice a year, the events might not make it worth it, but I'm sure I would love the magazines and little gifts. I just may have to join up.
    "I can stand the sight of worms,
    and look at microscopic germs,
    but technicolor pachyderms
    are really too much for me."

• Candlelight Caroler

At this point D23 is worth it to me, in order to feel like an insider of all that Disney has to offer. I appreciate the quality publication, wonderful website, great gifts, and exciting, though limited, opportunities. Being a member is also a way that I can feel like I am supporting the parts of the company that I most admire. I very much enjoy wearing the D23 logo pin on my collar to subtly identify myself as being a supporter of the ideal concept of what is embodied Disney. D23 has made a grand effort to acknowledge those who work so hard to keep the company operating for our entertainment.

It is my hope that ultimately we won't have to travel from coast-to-coast to experience some Disney magic close to home. With the possible rebirth of Disney Store and the wide reach of Disney Consumer Products, Disney Channel, Radio Disney, etc., I foresee a greater Disney presence and magic across the country very soon. Most of my D23 involvement takes place right here on MiceChat, and this is where I intend to get my Expo news and updates. But, I hope Disney will step up to the plate, as well. So, I challenge D23 and all of Disney to bring the experience to us, in our own towns and homes. If anyone can make it happen, I believe in Disney.

• Sock Puppet

We've been members since day 1.

Well worth it for us! We've already been to a few events and received some goodies as well.

As far as the bucks go, it's a personal choice. The funny thing is that some folks whined about the $75 at first, but now they've come around and are even promoting D23!

I guess it grows on people...