Disney Studios/Soda Shop?

We're attending the August 15 studio tour and are considering going to the Disney soda shop (next to the El Capitan) after the tour.

Does anyone have any tips/recomendations regarding directions or parking?

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Re: Disney Studios/Soda Shop?

All the details can be found here:

The El Capitan Theatre -- Directions and Parking

& have a great time on the lot!

FYI - there is a premiere (Robert Rodriguez' 'Shorts') scheduled for the Chinese Theatre across the street beginning at 1PM that day so it could affect traffic & parking a bit.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Happy Haunt

I did the exact same thing. Also, if you have time, go to the Snow White Cafe also on Hollywood Blvd. It's across from the Ripley's Believe It or Not museum and walking distance from the Soda Shop. Snow White cafe is a bar, by the way, and not owned by Disney. But the very nice bartender did tell me that Disney animators did the paintings of Snow White, the witch and the dwarfs before there were copyright laws and so there are not legal problems. I have a picture or two if you want to see.
    Last edited by Valorie; 08-09-2009 at 10:37 AM.

• D23 Lover!

Valorie, I live just north of Hollywood and had no idea the Snow White Cafe existed! That's awesome! I'll have to go next time I'm down there.

There's also a Pinocchio restaurant in Burbank (not too far from where the tours are), but it doesn't have much Disney related except for the name.

• Happy Haunt

Yeah, it's really cool. I've been to Hollywood so many times but Snow White Cafe was always so crowded I never went in. We finally went in after the studio tour and my boyfriend said, "it's like this bar was made with you in mind. It's like your dream bar."

He was right.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnZ46 View Post
    We're attending the August 15 studio tour and are considering going to the Disney soda shop (next to the El Capitan) after the tour.

Does anyone have any tips/recomendations regarding directions or parking?
    I've been there on several occasions and have always enjoyed it.
    I think they still have the menu posted on their website, but I will recommend trying one of their old-fashioned-style drinks. You can get coke with a shot of flavor among other things. Sometimes they also have a special sundae created for whatever movie is showing. There is also the 'Studio Store' where you can find a variety of things that aren't available anywhere else. Good selection of movies too.

Thanks everyone!

I've lived in southern CA since 1982 and have never been to Hollywood.

• With The Brain Of A Bird

I always take the Metro Rail Red Line from the Universal City station to the Hollywood and Highland station (the very next station). The El Capitan is right across the street from the Hollywood and Highland complex. The parking at the station is free, it's only a few bucks to ride the Metro and it's roughly a 6 minute ride between the two stations. Have a good time.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Park in the hollywood and highland garage. But osmething small (like a soda or cookie) and get your ticket validated.

The ice cream sundaes are sooo good!! You can also get some regular food here too. And if you are a pin trader, you can trade pins with the CMs there
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by Valorie View Post
    Snow White cafe is a bar, by the way, and not owned by Disney. But the very nice bartender did tell me that Disney animators did the paintings of Snow White, the witch and the dwarfs before there were copyright laws and so there are not legal problems. I have a picture or two if you want to see.
    This is interesting if true. I've always seen that Snow White Cafe, but never been in. I always wondered how they could get away with using the Disney characters. I know that the actual character of "Snow White" is in the public domain, but the use of Disney's copyrighted imagery and artwork is blatant, and very prominent in the signage facing Hollywood Blvd. I don't know what the story is legally, but it's been there a long time so I guess they're in the clear!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnZ46 View Post
    I've lived in southern CA since 1982 and have never been to Hollywood.
    That's just crazy!
    --Jonathan

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

I walked into the Snow White Cafe, once. And that was enough.

Here's a pic of the outside of the store:

Snow White Cafe since 1926 - Hollywood Wax Museum

Here is there official web site. They have a History link, But unfortunately the page is set up. Wonder how long it's been that way. Well at least you can see a few more pictures of the bar.

Snow White Cafe

And there are several reviews at this site. I never ate there, and was just drawn in by my Disney curiosity. Some of the artwork supposedly was done by some Disney artists, so they should be worth something, but it's just a narrow little bar restaurant, with mostly crappy decor. - Surprisingly, the Snow White artwork doesn't do much to enhance it either.

Snow White Cafe - Hollywood - Los Angeles, CA

• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain

Also the new Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum just opened right next to the Chinese Theater. I haven't even had a chance to check it out yet.

I went to MTWM in London, it was pretty fun. In London the Queen, Prince William, David Beckham (this was '06) and the Beatles were among the most popular.
    Last edited by DOOM BGI; 08-10-2009 at 08:47 PM. Reason: clarification
    --Jonathan