What to expect with D23 Expo crowds

Iím all set to go to D23 and already have my airplane tickets, hotel booked, and 4-day pass ordered, so I am definitely going. Now my question is will this be a madhouse?

According to the Business Week article there are over 20,000 people in D23. How many of these plus the non-member are likely to show up? What is the expected attendance?

The events I heard about so far that am most interested scheduled for the Story Tell Theater which only holds 500 people. It is not clear if they are going to hold multiple sessions or not, but even then that just does not seem like many people even with multiple sessions for the most popular talks. I would think the World of Color Talk and the other Imagineer sessions should be held in a much larger room.

So far it seems that for all the D23 events the demand has exceeded the capacity (like the Studio Tours that sold out about 1 minute). Iím certainly concerned that this could turn into 4 days of having to camp out for the popular sessions.

The folks at Disney could probably use the power of the Internet/email to figure some of this out for D23 Expo since this is a first time. They could use some polling to see how popular the sessions are expected to be and then have venues that are big enough to hold the anticipated crowds.

Maybe I am missing something or just being overly worried. Iíve read some of the stories about Comic-Con and how people camped out for hours for certain sessions. I noticed that D23 expo says they will clear the rooms between talks (which Comic-Con does not) which does suggest that they are anticipating that there may be more people wanting to get into events than they have capacity.

Does anybody have an idea of what the crowds are expected to be and how Disney expects to deal with the capacity for various talks.

• Sock Puppet

Re: What to expect with D23 Expo crowds

Yep, it will be crowded.

Murder, madness and mayhem for sure!!!

But well worth it!

See you there!

• Diamond Edition

I'm expecting the Expo to be very crowded. Like any large scale convention, it will be very hard to do everything, so it will be important to prioritize and let some things take precedence over others. It is possible that there will be people who camp out, but none of us have experience going to an official Disney Expo, the same way that Disney doesn't have experience hosting them. This is a first time experience for all involved. I would try to not stress about it and just enjoy it. Like Disneyland, I anticipate it being spectacular even with large crowds.

• D23 Lover!

Well, the event hasn't been sold out, so I'm not really sure what to expect. As a recent Comic Con goer, I understand your fear.

I cannot find anywhere the capacity of the Expo Center. However, I did find on Wikipedia that the Arena room holds 9,100 people -- which is where most of the main talks are. I think that's pretty huge and big enough so people won't be camping out, but hey what I do I know. My concern is that they don't seem to have several events taking place at the same time so everyone is going to want to go to the big events.

• Diamond Edition

The thing that comforts me about not getting into every event is the fact that there will be so many booths and kiosks set up for areas of the company that it will be nice to have time to explore the Expo and see everything if an event fills up before I can get to it.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Regarding crowd issues, I'm not to concern as Disney have had years of experience in handling large crowds of people. Mistakes will probarely be made of course but I am sure the operations team at Disneyland will offer advise to the organisers of the Expo. A nice gesture from my point of view would be to allow D23 Members a priority access to the talks or seperate D23 Members only events.

I am not too worried. We get in an hour early as members. Plus, a lot of members are around the country and wont come. It is the weekend AFTER labor day and schools are in full swing. I bet Thur/Fri will be light then Sat/Sun will be packed. But, like all Disney Parks. Go early (we get in one hour early) and hit the big stuff.

If you know how to tour the parks you will handle the expo like it's nothing!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by karlg View Post
    Iím all set to go to D23 and already have my airplane tickets, hotel booked, and 4-day pass ordered, so I am definitely going. Now my question is will this be a madhouse?

According to the Business Week article there are over 20,000 people in D23. How many of these plus the non-member are likely to show up? What is the expected attendance?

The events I heard about so far that am most interested scheduled for the Story Tell Theater which only holds 500 people. It is not clear if they are going to hold multiple sessions or not, but even then that just does not seem like many people even with multiple sessions for the most popular talks. I would think the World of Color Talk and the other Imagineer sessions should be held in a much larger room.

So far it seems that for all the D23 events the demand has exceeded the capacity (like the Studio Tours that sold out about 1 minute). Iím certainly concerned that this could turn into 4 days of having to camp out for the popular sessions.

The folks at Disney could probably use the power of the Internet/email to figure some of this out for D23 Expo since this is a first time. They could use some polling to see how popular the sessions are expected to be and then have venues that are big enough to hold the anticipated crowds.

Maybe I am missing something or just being overly worried. Iíve read some of the stories about Comic-Con and how people camped out for hours for certain sessions. I noticed that D23 expo says they will clear the rooms between talks (which Comic-Con does not) which does suggest that they are anticipating that there may be more people wanting to get into events than they have capacity.

Does anybody have an idea of what the crowds are expected to be and how Disney expects to deal with the capacity for various talks.

I expect that the sessions will be totally booked VERY early. I haven't heard much marketing for the general public, and it's probably to the advantage of D23 members that they have named it the "D23 Expo". That alone will probably put off many of the general public that might be inclined to go to the Expo who will think that it's only for D23 members.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DVC_Corrys View Post
    I am not too worried. We get in an hour early as members. Plus, a lot of members are around the country and wont come. It is the weekend AFTER labor day and schools are in full swing. I bet Thur/Fri will be light then Sat/Sun will be packed. But, like all Disney Parks. Go early (we get in one hour early) and hit the big stuff.

If you know how to tour the parks you will handle the expo like it's nothing!
    The getting in one hour early only benefits you in some cases. Many of the events that will develop lines are long after opening. You're right about Thursday and Friday though. Those will probably be light and the best time to get things done. However, some of the events are NOT available on those days.