Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Diamond Edition

Wink Walt Disney Studios Expo Events

Walt Disney Studios just released their full schedule of events for the Expo.

THE WALT DISNEY STUDIOS ADDS TO D23 EXPO EXCITEMENT WITH PRESENTATIONS BY DISNEY STUDIOS CHAIRMAN DICK COOK AND ANIMATION CHIEF CREATIVE OFFICER JOHN LASSETER, PLUS U.S. PREMIERES OF “TOY STORY” FILMS IN DISNEY DIGITAL 3D™ AND DIGITALLY RESTORED DEBUTS OF “SNOW WHITE” AND “TRON”
    Burbank, California – August 19, 2009 -- The Walt Disney Studios is jumping on the D23 Expo bandwagon with four-days (September 10-13) of exciting programming that includes major overviews of upcoming films by Disney Studios Chairman Dick Cook and Disney-Pixar Chief Creative Officer John Lasseter, plus a full schedule of events spotlighting new releases and newly restored digital versions of classic favorites.

Cook will present exclusive sneak peeks at such highly anticipated Disney features as “Disney’s A Christmas Carol,” Tim Burton’s “Alice in Wonderland,” “Old Dogs” (with Robin Williams and John Travolta), “Prince of Persia” and “The Sorcerer’s Apprentice” (both from producer Jerry Bruckheimer), “Tron: Legacy,” plus updates on many more exciting projects. Lasseter will discuss and show materials from such upcoming Walt Disney and Pixar Animation Studios’ motion pictures as “The Princess and the Frog,” “Rapunzel,” “Toy Story 3,” etc. Both presentations will be held at The Anaheim Convention Center in a 4000-seat arena.

All other film screenings and programs will take place in The Walt Disney Studios Theater (at the Anaheim Convention Center), a custom-built state-of-the-art venue with 3D capability, located within the Convention Center. All Disney Digital 3D™ presentations will be shown in RealD 3D, the world's most widely used 3D cinema technology. Among the U.S. premieres at the D23 Expo will be new Disney Digital 3D™ versions of “Toy Story” and “Toy Story 2,” the digital conversion of the original “Tron,” and a newly restored digital version of the Walt Disney classic “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.” Expo guests will get an exclusive look at all things Muppets, as well as meet the filmmakers and see exclusive presentations for such highly anticipated new Disney features as “The Princess and the Frog,” “Toy Story 3” (from Disney-Pixar), “Tron: Legacy,” “Tinker Bell and the Lost Treasure” (from Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment), and the new ABC-TV holiday animated special, “Prep and Landing.”

The Expo will also debut selected scenes from the upcoming Disney Digital 3D™ version of the Studio’s 1991 modern classic, “Beauty and the Beast.” Other highlights of the four-day event include a program devoted to the music from “The Lion King,” a panel discussion and screening of “Sleeping Beauty,” and the first U.S. screening of “Trail of the Panda” (Disney’s second co-production with China). There will also be presentations on two recent documentaries – “the boys: the sherman brothers’ story” and “Walt & El Grupo.”

A special screening series, “Fifty and Fabulous,” will unspool at 10:00 pm in the Studio Theater on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights spotlighting films that are celebrating their 50th anniversary – “Darby O’Gill and the Little People,” “The Shaggy Dog,” and “Sleeping Beauty.”

D23 EXPO – WALT DISNEY STUDIOS THEATER
    PROGRAM OF EVENTS

THURSDAY 9/10

1:00 PM “Beauty and the Beast” panel discussion;
    and screening of selected scenes in Disney Digital 3D™
    4:00 PM “The Lion King” music program

7:00 PM “the boys: the sherman brothers story” panel discussion/ screening

10:00 PM “Darby O’Gill and the Little People” screening

FRIDAY 9/11

11:00 AM Dick Cook / Walt Disney Studios presentation (in the Arena)

1:00 PM Screening of “The Nightmare Before Christmas” in Disney Digital 3D™ plus Tim Burton shorts, “Frankenweenie” and “Vincent”

4:00 PM “Tron”/ “Tron: Legacy” presentation;
    Digital debut screening of original “Tron”

7:30 PM “Walt & El Grupo” presentation;
    Followed by screening of “Saludos Amigos”

10:00 PM “The Shaggy Dog” screening

SATURDAY 9/12

10:00 AM Disneynature presentation

12:00 PM “Snow White” panel discussion;
    Followed by screening of Restored Print

3:00 PM “Princess and the Frog” presentation

5:30 PM “Prep and Landing” presentation

7:30 PM “Trail of the Panda” screening

10:00 PM “Sleeping Beauty” screening

SUNDAY 9/13

11:00 AM John Lasseter / Walt Disney and Pixar Animation Studios presentation (in the Arena)

1:00 PM “Muppets” presentation

4:00 PM “Tinker Bell and the Lost Treasure” screening

6:30 PM “Toy Story 3” presentation;

7:00 PM “Toy Story” and “Toy Story 2” debuts in Disney Digital 3D™
    I guess this disproves people's theories that Disneyland is offering the after 4 tickets because there won't be anything to do at the Expo past 4:00 PM.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Re: Walt Disney Studios Expo Events

What an amazing schedule of events! Looks like I'll be staying up late a lot of those nights!
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

WOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW!!! And I thought I could go home Sunday afternoon!

• Disney Trivia God

This is incredible! I think it's going to start becoming difficult to decide which event(s) to go to -- I'll have to pick and choose carefully.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

I wasn't too far off in my 8/16 post hopefully some of the elements I suggested will make it into the events as well.

'Toy Story' and 'Toy Story 2' 3D will world premiere in Venice on 9/6,
    http://micechat.com/forums/news/1163...-festival.html
    nice to see the stateside screenings show up here.

I'd also expect the 9/11 WDS presentations to mirror their ShoWest and "Summer Heatwave'-esque events of the past with numerous announced and surprise celebrity appearances. They'll need to announce some in advance to nudge ticket sales and hold others back for the curiousity factor. Those events always feature promotional giveaways of the t-shirt/mini-poster/etc. variety.

Some obvious names would include 'The Princess and the Frog's co-directors Musker and Clements, and possible performance as they did recently, with star Anika Noni Rose and composer Randy Newman and Jim Carrey and Robert Zemeckis representing 'A Christmas Carol'. Carrey could own that convention center in an Anaheim minute which he needs to. Bruce Willis' sci-fi thriller 'Surrogates' opens September 25th so that should receive a healthy push as well.

Looking forward into next year's early releases they could pull from 'When in Rome' with Kristen Bell (also currently shooting another Disney comedy, 'You Again'), 'The Last Song' with Miley Cyrus, Greg Kinnear and Kelly Preston and of course, the 3D presentation of 'Beauty and the Beast' with producer Don Hahn and hopefully that film's stars and composer Alan Menken.

And then the big guns of Tim Burton's 'Alice in Wonderland' and 'Toy Story 3'. Some friendly arm-twisting could lead to walk-ons by Johnny Depp, Tom Hanks and Tim Allen. Everyone should hear Hanks when he gets on a roll in front of an adoring live audience!

Plus Team 'TRON' with an updated promotional push, Nicolas Cage's live-action 'Sorcerer's Apprentice', a 'Rapunzel' presentation and hopefully an official start date (& appearances) inconjunction with the fourth 'Pirates of the Caribbean' film (just try to keep producer Jerry Bruckheimer off that stage) and the new Muppets movie would be a huge crowd-pleaser.

That's just off the top of my head though, official announcements forthcoming.
    What to Expect: D23 Expo
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Looks like there is no time to go to the parks! It is going to be hard to pick and choose events. I want to go to everything!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Any guesses as to the capacity for The Walt Disney Studios Theater?
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    Any guesses as to the capacity for The Walt Disney Studios Theater?
    Not enough.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

how are they going to handle entry into these things?

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

One of the press releases indicated the theater capacity was 4,000, I believe. Not the arena, which is much bigger. I imagine capacity is affected somewhat by the need to make the 3d technology optimal. Still, I think 4,000 is a huge capacity for a temporary venue, and am very excited!

• Banned User

WOW...

This is definitely going to be the Disney event of the decade.. only worry, how will they top it next year?

• Diamond Edition

Quote Originally Posted by OCBear View Post
    Looks like there is no time to go to the parks! It is going to be hard to pick and choose events. I want to go to everything!
    I've been saying that for a while to combat the naysayers who are angry about the 2 rides that are closed during the Expo, but I'm glad that there is proof now that the day really will be packed with things to do at the Expo.

• Diamond Edition

In regards to the capacity questions, the website for the Anaheim Convention Center says that the the Arena seats 7,500 and the third floor ballroom (where the screenings will take place) seats 3,807.

I am bummed cause I will mis the Toy Story Screenings.... I have a business trip that week and my flight leaves at 8. Oh well, my wife would be mad if I saw it without her...haha

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by stitchon View Post
    This is definitely going to be the Disney event of the decade.. only worry, how will they top it next year?
    No need to top it if it's as good as this! I can only imagine that they would need to provide a lot more to do if capacity exceeds by a larger margin.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast