Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thoughts on D23 Now?

I'm just curious what other members think now. I saw the note from the LA Times writer and that got me curious -- at the beginning, there was some grumbling about the particulars. Like the signup process, getting the member package, whether it was worth the $74, etc.

But now that six months or so have elapsed, do most of you feel the way I do? I think the $74 has been a great investment, even if I haven't gone to any of the events yet. The magazine gives me ALMOST enough to read until the next one comes, there definitely seems to be a developing sense of community even if there's no community board on the D23 site, and clearly D23 and Disney have poured alot of the money they have gotten from the memberships back into the Expo, or at least it SEEMS that way.

I am feeling like all things considered, Disney is "getting it" with the fans. There are a lot of little issues of course. I wish that they had room for EVERYONE at the events. I wish I got more than a cardboard membership card. But I've also gotten free gifts, I get into the Expo an hour earlier, I've learned things I genuinely didn't know before and I feel like I'm becoming part of a real, true community of Disney fans.

Am I wrong? Was the $74 actually a GREAT investment? Am I the only one who isn't just pleased but REALLY pleased by what D23 has become??

• Doesn't get enough Disney

Re: Thoughts on D23 Now?

It's been great for me.

I'm a day 1 member and I've never looked back or doubted it. I'm a huge Disney fan, but some of the magazine articles do bore me, the issues as a whole are thoroughly enjoyable. The magazines alone are worth it to me.

I've only attended one event, mostly due to the fact I live cross-country from DL/LA area, the Studios tour, and that was just such a major bonus.

I cannot, however, attend the Expo, and while that is frustrating and upsetting due to it really being the pinnacle of the D23 membership, I still find my $75+ well spent and plan on renewing next year.

Si vous voulez venir danser aussi, le ticket d’entrée n’est jamais gratuit.
    Il faut payer de sa vie.

• or CBF

At first, I thought that the $74 was such a steep price to pay, but then I saw the quality of the magazine (I bought the first two issues at Barnes & Noble), the quality of the events that have taken place, and then the awesome Expo schedule and I just had to sign up to get in on this.

I figured that just buying the magazines separately at 15.99 x 4 times a year equals around $60, it is worth the extra $14 to get the extra goodies that have been thrown in with the magazine as well as attending at least one of the events.
    MHTSEIAHTECTESVEIBIECSETR

Find me on:Facebook / Twitter
    (Send me a message saying you are from MC)

• DMTNT

For me at first I questioned paying the $74 for "a magazine". I decided to go for it and then if I didn't like what I was getting I wouldn't renew. I have been very pleased with the quality of the magazine and all the freebies that D23 has thrown in. The Studio Tour was a great event and I am really looking forward to the Expo.

So, yes, I think D23 is definitely worth the investment.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

As many of you know, I started off disgruntled but ended up quite happy. The magazine and free gifts sent with it have been wonderful. The events have been fantastic and very well produced (even if they were limited in availability and difficult to obtain at times). The commitment to getting new content up on the website has been exemplary and I have enjoyed much of the content (especially the items from the Archives). The sheer volume of events planned for the Expo are mind-boggling and I can't wait to see it.

I'm certain that Disney has lost money on my $74 membership because I've taken a guest to the two events that I attended and bought two discount 4 day tickets to the Expo, that and the free gifts and over-sized high quality magazine has got to cost them a pretty penny. I feel that it has been a wonderful bargain for my family and the year isn't even over yet!

The D23 folks couldn't be a nicer bunch and it has been a pleasure attending their events.

Cheers and kudos to team D23, I'm looking forward to seeing what you having coming up next!

-Dusty
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• sleepy lagoon

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    As many of you know, I started off disgruntled but ended up quite happy. The magazine and free gifts sent with it have been wonderful. The events have been fantastic and very well produced (even if they were limited in availability and difficult to obtain at times). The commitment to getting new content up on the website has been exemplary and I have enjoyed much of the content (especially the items from the Archives). The sheer volume of events planned for the Expo are mind-boggling and I can't wait to see it.
    I, too have been skeptical about the price vs benefits of being a D23 member, so I have not yet signed up. But after following all the D23 member chatter of the last six months, I think you guys have convinced me that it is well worth it!! I hope to surprise my husband with a D23 membership for his birthday in October...

• Minion

I'm still on the fence. The events issue being the main problem. I have to admit, I was surprised by the overall quality of the magazine and the little gifts you get with each one are pretty cool. That having been said, It still seems that you can get much of the same experiences for free. Most of the articles in the magazine seem to be online at the D23 website, which is free. The expo is open to everyone, and $7 for me personally isn't a deal breaker.

If they have another tour at the archives, or maybe make it a monthly or bi-monthly thing, that would definitely make the membership worth it IMO.

I think it's a great program and I hope they continue to grow and surprise us. The magazine is great, love the little extras, the litho is OK but the Charter First Day pin is great and unexpected. I haven't been able to go to any events, but will the Expo and am very excited about what that will bring. Signed up on day 1 and have always been pleased.

I just joined a few weeks ago, as that is what i asked for my birthday. I have been happy with the membership items and events, even though i have yet to attend any but will be at the Expo. I think Disneyshopping people have a few kinks to work out still but they finally solved my problem. A surprise gift of D23 is not a good idea, my name and membership number did not work online for about 3 weeks because it was bought by someone else and was at first a different mailing address. I was glad that expo tickets were still available when i was able to purchase.

Hope they do some more events here in Orlando, they have plenty of items here that would be just as interesting as the Disney things they are doing in CA. I would love a WDW history tours!

By the way the membership cards are now plastic!

• Happy Haunt

I love it. I joined on day one not sure if I was paying too much and now I feel like I've gotten more than I paid for.

• Diva Extrodinaire

I think a day at the Expo should have been free, but I like D23 alot and I'm excited for more events and the expo!
    ONE TWO THREE NOT ONLY YOU AND ME

• Diamond Edition

Quote Originally Posted by MTdizzle94 View Post
    I think a day at the Expo should have been free, but I like D23 alot and I'm excited for more events and the expo!
    It is. If you buy through your membership, it's only $90, thus making your 4th day free.

I may be one of the few who never doubted D23. I had heard rumors that it was a fan club back when the "Are You 23?" adds were going around, and I actually thought the membership fee would be closer to $100. I love all of the guaranteed aspects of membership, like the magazine, and I have been lucky enough to attend several events, all of which have been more than I expected. The extra surprises like the free gifts or news announcements are a fantastic touch. The discount on Expo tickets and the early entry makes it worthwhile for me as well. And lastly, and perhaps the most personal part about D23, is how great it is to connect and make friends with other Disney fans. Indeed, the very reason I joined Mice Chat was because of D23 and I've met some wonderful people through it (Hey Amy!)

• no flash photography...

I don't like it. All the event tickets are released during morning week days. When I'm at work and all events seem to be on week nights. I was excited to go to events, but quickly released it would never happen. I have not read the magazines. I think I have two now. I did open them recently. The free gifts were not that big of a deal to me.

I'll be going to the expo, but I doubt I would renew my membership.

• Lackey

I do love the magazine and the gifts that come with it by being a member (that you don't get if you just buy the mag someplace). I love that archival fun stuff is being made available in the mag and on-line.
    I think they still don't quite really get it, though. They wanted to have a fan community of their own, like all of those that already existed. There isn't anything very community about it - as far as on-line boards... that other fan communities have. There isn't anyplace to post comments. The one survey that came out (like most surveys) was too leading and not open enough for comments. It is only what they choose to release at the time. Community should be a two-way street.
    They should know, from mailing addresses, how many people are in which parts of the country (or world) and how to offer events. There are very obviously MANY members in So Cal and the events have too quickly booked up. It is great to have these offered, but need to be able to accommodate the number of people interested.
    I think they are going to be incredibly overwhelmed by the numbers that show up for the Expo - ComicCon is going to look like something put on by the neighborhood kids in someone's barn. As much as I would like to go, I don't even want to be near Anaheim those 4 days. It will take much planning ahead for parking... and getting there early enough. Any sessions with speakers will be SRO and many may be disappointed in not getting to participate in as much as they would like to. I think it is going to be a great thing, but hope they are ready for the crowds, in every way.
    There is too much exclusivity in this exclusive club.
    I like it, but know it is still trying to figure out what to be. I am grateful for what there is; it just seems a little one-sided, right now, for being a community.
    Just my commentary.

Eddie: You mean to tell me you could have taken your hand out of those cuffs at any time?
    Roger: Not at any time. Only when it's funny.

~<8O]

• Disney Trivia God

I signed up on day 1, and have loved every single minute of it. I can't tell you know how many years I've hoped for a Disney fan club like this -- and when the first "Are you 23?" teasers came out, I was hooked.

Although I haven't been able to attend any of the event up until now, D23 has still been worth it for me. The magazines are beautiful, there's tons of cool stuff on their website that interests me, and the bonus suprises that show up in the mail are just icing on the cake. Plus, I've been able to communicate with a lot of wonderful Disney fans here on MiceChat; people who have the same passion for Disney as I do.

I'm really psyched for the D23 Expo, and I can't wait to see what the nice people at D23 come up with next.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast