• Disney Fan & Musician

D23- Worth Joining?

Is it worth joining? & also what does a Charter Membership do?
    Follow me on --> Twitter (@soda)

• Banned User

re: D23- Worth Joining?

Definitely worth it. You get 4 magazines per year, a membership card, a free gift from the Walt Disney Collection, discounted admission on the D23 Expo and a lot more.

• Not a Minion

Re: D23- Worth Joining?

I think this has been discussed a lot. It all falls under if you will read the magazines and attend the events. I don't read the magazines much, but just attending one or two events per membership really pays off for the investment.

• Eu gosto de ir a Disney!

not sure. wife doesnt want me to do it, she makes a valid point that its just four magazines and a whole lotta mula

Ask yourself;

1. Are you going to the Expo?
    2. Are you a super Disney geek who likes to read stuff about the Studio's legacy?
    3. Do you live near Disneyland or Orlando?
    4. Are you one of those kind of people who like to collect stuff or buy limited merchandise or make a living selling things on eBay to those who do collect stuff or buy limited merchandise?

If you answered yes to most of these questions then you probably should join. Good luck with your decision.

• Not a Minion

Quote Originally Posted by EMPM92 View Post
    not sure. wife doesnt want me to do it, she makes a valid point that its just four magazines and a whole lotta mula
    it really isnt much considering what you get. especially if you attend the special events (studio tour, movie screenings, etc.), you can really get your money's worth.

here's a financial breakdown as to how the membership benefited me
    1. 4 magazines @ $16.95 each = 67.80
    2. D23 screening of up (free), but can be valued @ maybe $25 per person so $50 since I took a guest.
    3. Disneyland event. Got two tickets into the park, which at the time was $69 per ticket, so about a $138.

So alone, with those items, my $75 has become really worth it. also, i got 2 pins for the up all night event, which some have sold online for a good profit.

also, i got to meet tony baxter and bob gurr of imagineering during the disneyland event which is just priceless. it was a small event so it was an intimate experience. they may be at the expo, but getting to meet them at specific d23 events is a much better experience (for example: I said to bob gurr, :Mr. Gurr, can i get an autogrpah from you?" and he replies back to me, no need to call me Mr. Gurr. Just Bob is fine.)

So really, if money were the issue, just ask yourself if you'll be able to attend the events and if its a yes answer, then just do it. if its a no answer, then dont.

you can just also try it for the year. if it doesnt float your boat, dont renew. that's what i decided to do on day 1, and so far, my mind is set to renew.

If you are lucky enough to get one of the free events, then most defiantly yes.. but if your like the rest of us, then you get the four magazines @ $16 each,($64) and whatever they send with it. so you must make the call if it is worth it.

• sleepy lagoon

Quote Originally Posted by EMPM92 View Post
    Yeah, I'm a wife too who told my husband he was crazy to think of spending the $75 on a magazine subscription...
    But after hearing the experiences of other D23 members, I think it might be worth it now. The free surprise gifts are fun and getting the opportunity to go to the D23 events would be a blast (and perhaps a nice date for us!!).
    And anyway, he just brought home the recent edition of the magazine that he bought at the bookstore (he has bought all of them so far!! ) so I guess we should of signed up to begin with!!
    I am thinking I will surprise him for his birthday in October? Maybe.....