Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Number of tickets sold to the expo?

Here is the general question.... How many tickets are being sold to the expo?

I am thinking about getting a 4 day pass and I am really only wanting to see some of the major events and speakers. With them expecting tens of thousands of people. What chance do you think people won't be able to get into some of the events in the arena (holds about 7000 people) or some of the theathers? How long are people planning on lining up for the events?

Thanks

Re: Number of tickets sold to the expo?

I originally thought 30 minutes early for the major/popular presentations, but recently there was discussion about one to two hours early to get good seats. It's impossible to say at this point how many people will be attending or how early the venues will fill, but the earlier the better is a best guess, particularly for the major events. Better to be early than locked out.

The real question, is what to do if there is a session that you want to see say 2 hour before one you want to see even more. Will you have to skip every other session you want to see to get into the ones you want? I wish they had bigger rooms for the presentations, the convention center clearly supports it and it should not have cost much if anything more to arrange things differently. I wouldn't mind not getting a "good" seat in order to see everything I wanted that was not running in parallel sessions, but I would hate to be locked out of every other one (or worse).

• Disney Trivia God

The following OC Register article predicts 30,000 - 40,000 attendees, although Disney isn't officially saying.

Tens of thousands expected at Disney expo - Around Disney - OCRegister.com

Quote Originally Posted by cidbliq View Post
    The following OC Register article predicts 30,000 - 40,000 attendees, although Disney isn't officially saying.

Tens of thousands expected at Disney expo - Around Disney - OCRegister.com
    Wow, that's A LOT more than I had thought. So, roughly only 10% of the attendees will get to see the major presentations. Again, wow. Thankfully those of us who have D23 memberships can get in an hour early. My plan is to hit the DreamStore at 8 AM and then send the hubby over to get in line once 9 AM nears. Gosh, I am always so bossy with him when it comes to not missing things at Disney!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by brentley2 View Post
    Wow, that's A LOT more than I had thought. So, roughly only 10% of the attendees will get to see the major presentations.
    The OC Register article quotes Charles Ahlers, president of Anaheim/Orange County Visitor and Convention Bureau, as saying, "30,000 and 40,000 people could attend the expo." Notice that he used the word "could," which suggests that this is the high side of the estimate.

The event runs for 4 days, so if all days were equal, that would be 7,500-10,000 people per day. (Thursday and Friday are likely to be lighter because people are at work and in school. So Saturday and Sunday would be heavier.)

It's unlikely that many attendees will be there from 8:00 a.m. until midnight every day.

The Arena holds thousands of attendees, and not everyone is interested in every keynote address.

Disney knows how many advance tickets they've sold, but, as far as I know, they haven't released any numbers to the press. Then there will be the people who just show up to buy tickets on the spot. It's anybody's guess how many people will do so. At typical consumer conventions like car shows and boat shows, most people buy their tickets on the day they attend. (My guess is the D23 Expo attendees will be heavily skewed toward active Internet users, and far more attendees will have already bought tickets on the web; but I could be wrong.)
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Weiss View Post
    The OC Register article quotes Charles Ahlers, president of Anaheim/Orange County Visitor and Convention Bureau, as saying, "30,000 and 40,000 people could attend the expo." Notice that he used the word "could," which suggests that this is the high side of the estimate.
    I hope Disney is feeling good about that! While it might be tempting to say, "Well, heck, 30000 people go to Disneyland on a middling day" the fact is that ComicCon ALLEGES they get 125000 and they have been doing this for 40 years. For Disney to do 30000 or 40000 over four days in its FIRST YEAR is pretty amazing. And I imagine that whatever number of tickets they have sold to date is probably about half of what they will get since most people are coming from southern California and don't need to buy in advance, get hotels etc.

The reality is that the Arena presentations will only be of interest to a fraction of the attendees probably. Alot of people will probably go and visit all of the exhibits and maybe not even REALIZE there are presentations and programs or not want to take their kids to them. For good seats, I would bet 30-40 minutes in advance would be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by brentley2 View Post
    Wow, that's A LOT more than I had thought. So, roughly only 10% of the attendees will get to see the major presentations. Again, wow. Thankfully those of us who have D23 memberships can get in an hour early. My plan is to hit the DreamStore at 8 AM and then send the hubby over to get in line once 9 AM nears. Gosh, I am always so bossy with him when it comes to not missing things at Disney!
    We have the same game plan! I want to hit the dreamstore, buy my stuff really quick and then rush to get in line for Igars speech and ceremony. If I had a husband, I'd make him stand in line too while I shopped

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by EC82 View Post
    The reality is that the Arena presentations will only be of interest to a fraction of the attendees probably. Alot of people will probably go and visit all of the exhibits and maybe not even REALIZE there are presentations and programs or not want to take their kids to them. For good seats, I would bet 30-40 minutes in advance would be enough.

For the most part, most of the different exhibit spaces will only be of interest to a fraction of attendees. I know I have NO interest in the ABC stuff, vacation club, ESPN or most of the keynote presentations. Others will probably favor ONLY the TV and movie celebs. There will probably be some crossovers: Theme parks & Vacation club, Theme parks & Pin trading, Movies & Merchandising, Movies & Celebs., etc.

So depending on actual ticket sales, it's possible that crowds may be relatively light in any particular area, though there will probably be significant crowds for certain presentations.

Ok, so if say there are "only" 5,000 people on Thursday and Friday and say 10,000 people on Saturday and Sunday. Do you really thing less than 1 in 10 on Thursday and Friday and less than 1 in 20 on Saturday and Sunday will want to go to the talks by Imagineering, because apparently that is all the rooms will hold? And they are insane or deliberately trying to cause a panic if they think that only 500 people will want to find out about the World of Color Show. I understand that not everyone is into the parks and Imagineering, but this is pre-selected group of people that are pretty into Disney.

I think they should have had a two tier plan like most conference where there is one price for the "expo" and an additional price for the "conference/talks." Then have enough #$%! seats for everyone to attend the talks that was paying to see the talks. I still can't believe that they only have 500 seats for these talks and I hope I am wrong or that Disney has some contingency plans.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by karlg View Post
    think they should have had a two tier plan like most conference where there is one price for the "expo" and an additional price for the "conference/talks." Then have enough #$%! seats for everyone to attend the talks that was paying to see the talks. I still can't believe that they only have 500 seats for these talks and I hope I am wrong or that Disney has some contingency plans.
    That makes a lot of sense. Though besides having a two tiered system, maybe allow individual conference/talks to be purchased separately. Some who are interested mostly in the exhibits may wish to see one or two talks, but not want to pay for the whole series.

As WOPR once said, "There is no way to win."

A two-tiered pricing system would anger most people, I think, because they're used to Comic-Con. If you've ever been to that, then you know how frustrating it is to wait and wait and wait for something only to find out there aren't enough seats. But it's also exciting. It definitely sends the message that there is something to please everyone.

Well I'm starting to become concerned. There are a few presentations I 'must' attend, they are the major reason I planned this trip - but one is less then two hours after my plane arrives, another is first thing in the morning, and the third is immediately following one of the others!! I really don't know how I'm going to work this; make time for exhibits; find time to eat or rest a few minutes; and have an enjoyable trip.

Flayrah -- No need to be concerned. The presentations are going to be great, but they're just part of the experience. This last Comic-Con, I didn't attend a single presentation but had a great, great time. The good news about the policy of clearing theaters is that it gives you a real shot to get into the presentation that's shortly after the others. Good luck. Relax. Enjoy it. It's Disney history in the making!

• Disney Trivia God

I really think we just need to go into this with a positive attitude, and wait to see what we can get into before freaking out. Yes, it'll probably be crowded, but there's nothing you can do about it. Besides, you'll be surrounded with thousands of Disney fanatics. It's not like you're stuck at a life insurance conference.

I'm not going to sweat it -- I'm just going to go and have a good time. If nothing else, I'm just a couple hundred yards from my favorite place on Earth, so I'll just go across the street and have some Disney fun that way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast