Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

D23 Expo experience

* Post Removed *
    Last edited by flayrah; 09-18-2009 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Post not constructive to the MiceChat experience

• I am number 4 of 999

Re: D23 Expo experience - LONG - CAUTION contains negativity

I would be sending this entire post to every Disney Guest Service email available, and especially try to find one for D23 Expo feedback!
    It's actually "Cars Land", not "Carsland".

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Wait... I didn't check anything in for the Jay Rasulo presentation. That was one of the few times we were able to enjoy everything and take pictures.

for the most part, i do agree though. your negative experience details the gist of what mine was... especially the annoying rambos.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Banned User

I felt the same way and personally, I felt like it was WAY over the top to hand over cell phones, cameras and driver's license to see Lasseter speak. (Basically SELL us all the new Pixar and Disney movies.)

I'm glad I wasn't there for the big deal with Johnny Depp, etc. It was a HUGE commercial for the upcoming ABC line-up in the fall, the upcoming movies, etc. Luckily during that whole thing, I was enjoying a delightful lunch with friends at Club 33!!!

Yeah, no electronics were checked for the Rasulo thing...

HOWEVER...even after all the bag checking we were just getting to the "climax" portion of the TS3 clip in the final presentation when I was startled by a blackshirt yelling at me from two seats over (disturbing another guest between us in the process): "Sir! What did you just take out?" Now meanwhile, I hadn't moved at all in at least 10 minutes, to the point that the arm my head was leaning on (end of a long week, I was almost falling asleep at this point) had fallen asleep. Since I had been focused on the screen and was startled I looked around at that point and saw that there was another blackshirt to my other side as well. I say that I haven't moved and the guy stares at me for an extra 5 seconds before just getting up and leaving. Meanwhile, I have missed the rest of the clip. Perfect! Thanks for the disturbance to myself, others, and the missing of the clip!

As far as the kids texting, I believe I heard that you were allowed to pick up your electronics at any point after the TS3 presentation and re-enter, since there was no more "new" material being presented. Saw it myself at the intermission since I ran to the "Grill."

• Disney Trivia God

You are 100% correct in your review of the security staff. As I posted in my review, all that was missing was the rifle and mirrored sunglasses. They treated us more like prisoners than guests. And as bad as you saw it, I still think Thursday was worse.

• You have much to learn...

I agree with most of the statements about security as well, but it actually was better organized than I thought it would be & from the number of clips on youtube already available, it's obvious that video cameras & phones were somehow creeped their way in anyway-so even with the tight security-I've seen enough of videos, texts and tweets from the presentations.

I did see on flaw, at least the first day for Iger- They checked our bags first & told us to check cameras, videos, phones, etc- then they just scanned our bodies with the metal detectors- not the bags we were carrying- so I'm sure electronics slipped in unnoticed that way if people had concealed them enough in their bags to get passed over by the initial bag check.

Most of the clips I've seen were from the second day- so I'm sure many realized this & somehow got their camera's in anyway.

I can see them not allowing videos during copywrited clips & the 1/3 of the Princess & the Frog- but would have loved for them to allow us to video Tim Burton, John Travolta, Jerry Bruckheimer, Johnny Depp, etc.

Due to a few of my friends attending with me, who seemed to want to spend more time at the parks than the expo, I missed out on all of the individual meetings- I just saw the 4 main presentations in the Arena- 2 on Thursday, 1 Friday & 1 Saturday- We were shut out of the Cruise presentation on Saturday morning & I missed Sunday entirely since I was already home in NY.

• Disneylander

As other have mentioned in this forum, I also didn't have to check anything for the Rasulo speech, which I quite enjoyed.
    Our electronic check in for Dick Cook's speech went very smoothly, but I think that's because we got there very early, and got in the retrieval line quickly after the speech. We loved, loved, loved this presentation, so I would have put up with more hassle for this one. Dick Cook really put everything he had into this and I for one, really felt like an important fan to him.
    Our experience checking in electronics for the Lassiter speech, was as miserable as you describe. Our group decided that is much as we love John Lassiter, it wasn't worth seeing clips mostly from sequels, including the CarsToons, one of which we had already seen in a booth upstairs. We felt he held back and stuck with the obvious. We were disappointed to miss getting in line in time for other presentations while waiting to get our phones (about 45 minutes). We were depressed and frustrated after this, and went into the ultra amazing Parks & Resorts booth again, and then Disneyland for a few hours to erase the depression.
    I had a lot of fun at Expo and would go again easily. One additional thing I don't think you mentioned was oversubscription of any presentation involving an Imagineer. They had two standby lines for these presentations, they knew how many seats these venues held, they had clickers at the keynotes, and yet there were several times we waited in line for long periods of time and not let in, as were many, many other people, sometimes as many as 30 or 40. Why not use the clickers and make the standby line the few people who are really on the cusp of getting in instead of wasting so many people's time?
    Again, we had a lot of fun at Expo. I hope these are wrinkles that can be worked out at future events and that there are future events. I would totally go next year.

• Distant Disneylandaholic

Interesting report. My experience was completely different than yours and I felt the guest control and security folks did a decent job, given the situation and thousands of people. That's not to say it was perfect, but no-one was "locked" inside a room. I'm afraid your dislike for the security and being told what to do tainted/tinted your view of reality and made you see or think things that weren't there. There was NO requirement at all to check electronics for the Rasulo presentation on Saturday. Stating that there was unfortunately reveals a huge bias in perspective. One complaint I do have about the guest control is why they made us wait so long to start loading into presentation rooms. We know the rooms were empty from the prior presentation, yet they wait until after the scheduled start time to start loading our presentation? Doesn't make sense to me. Overall though, for a first-year run at this, my hat is off to all the folks that made D23 happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. G View Post
    Interesting report. My experience was completely different than yours..... That's not to say it was perfect, but no-one was "locked" inside a room. I'm afraid your dislike for the security and being told what to do tainted/tinted your view of reality and made you see or think things that weren't there. There was NO requirement at all to check electronics for the Rasulo presentation on Saturday. Stating that there was unfortunately reveals a huge bias in perspective.
    Sorry, I have to disagree with you. My stating there was electronics check for Rasulo is a MISTAKE, not a 'huge bias in perspective'. I am sorry I mis-stated the Saturday check, I mistook EVERY Arena queue experience for my two security experiences, blame that on travel fatigue or bias, whichever you feel is more fair. As for being 'locked' into a room, I suppose you are correct in that there were no padlocks or guards keeping us in. Just a group of guests being 'directed' to remain in a room with closed doors and no information or updates. But as you think my entire experience is biased, I can understand that you might not believe this. I'm happy you had a positive experience, because as you can tell from other posts, there are many others who had similar problems and frustrations.

• mountains beyond mtns.

flayrah, thank you for braving the waters by posting that.

In the "Rate the D23 expo" topic, I was in that small minority that voted for "It was okay but there are issues". For those that voted "outstanding", I'm happy that you had such a great experience. At the same time, I don't feel the message should be sent to Disney that all is well and that nothing needs to be worked on.

As a veteran attendee of the San Diego Comic Con, I could tell you that event is not necessarily run much better though at least the panels always start on time and there is no electronics check in. However, the security and fire marshals can be just as militant when it comes to lines that they feel have reached a peak and many times, you are asked to disperse and leave the area if a line gets to be too long. More often than not, these are lines for merchandise or autographs and if you ask the staff where you are supposed to go, you are often met with uncaring glances and a "you have to leave the area".

In spite of all this, most attendees have a great experience and I think there's a certain amount of "magic" that goes with that event. If you look in the 2009 Comic Con discussion threads, you'll probably see that to a person, every MiceChatter that attended would definitely return next year. For virtually all of us, the positives outweigh the negatives by far.

It's unfortunate that the Rating thread has no separate categories for content and how the convention was run. I wonder if most are giving the D23 expo glowing reviews based solely upon that and overlooking the negatives such as crowd control, panels starting late, electronics check in.

Perhaps my expectations were too high for the event but I feel that a Disney run convention should be run so much better than a Comic or Star Wars (also been to that) convention. At least for now, it's not.

The Security guys were a bit over the top, but OK, I can handle that and didn't feel like a terrorist or anything. The youtube clips I've seen, mainly from Friday, were, I think, by authorized press, as I saw many of these guys walking around filming with BIG cameras.
    And yes, I don't know what you meant about the electronics being taken on Saturday, as that was the only day they were allowed in the arena. I DO wish they had preposted/put in guidebook, whatever, what events would have electronics taken away so I could plan. I do think they overall did a very good job of crowd control..even when there were HUGE crowds exiting it all went very smoothly (after the bottleneck at the main arena exit/entrance. Much faster than trying to escape DLR after Fantasmic). I agree that the convention center stuff overall sucked..I bought popcorn from a guy who was clearly stoned and shaking and then tried to charge me a higher price even after I pointed out the price on a sign. I found the Disney staff be friendly and helpful as much as they could be, but rather untrained, even in the face of annoying and pushy D23 guests (who..us???). yes, certainly lots of room for improvement in many areas, especially starting on time, line and crowd control, room capacities and food choices. But for a first year I left feeling thrilled at the experience and planning to attend next year if it happnes.

Some random comments:
    Re the characters, I agree. Only band leader mickey was somewhat unique. I'd never seen him in this costum. Don't forget Push. He was hillarious. I'd read about him and have never seen him.
    I lost alot of the disney magic feel and felt like a criminal. We had good seats for the ABCs of disney presentation on Thursday. So I left my seat to use the restroom. I took a few pictures of Donny Osmund. When I left the stadium, I was singled out by the suits. They did not tell me why I had to go with them and wait there. THen some other people came and wanted to see my camera. They errased all the pictures. I asked what was going on and they said they had anounced no photography. I had missed this while in the restroom apparently. After taking the pictures in the areana, a suited security guard told me "no flash photography". There was no flash and the other people around me were taking picuteres. Then the very un-disney experience while leaving the arena happened. I felt badly and will always rememeber this as part of my experience. I felt like a criminal and I am NOT a criminal. Follow all the rules, etc. Only crime was to go to restroom after staning in line for hours.

I also voted Outstanding in the poll and really had no unexpected issues with the lines or security. Maybe its because we were there for all 4 days and entered at 8 each morning as D23 members. Maybe because we were not focused on either merchandise or autographs. Maybe because we followed the advice on another pre-Expo post on these boards and chose a couple of must-do events each day and considered the rest to be gravy.

As a result, we were able to get into 14 presentations over the 4 days. Our experience was that we never intentionally queued for any event more than about an hour in advance and were only turned away once after lining up only 10 minutes prior to the Muppets presentation.

Our longest wait was for the Princess & Frog presentation, which started an hour and a half late (for an hour and a half presentation). But even then we were lucky in that we were in the fairly comfortable roped off queue near the front, so we were never in doubt we would get in. In addition, a technical director on the movie was in line behind us so chatting with him while we waited gave us a pre-show to the main presentation.

We really didn't mind when events started late because they were filling the room with others waiting in line. I would hate to see a hard and fast rule that would require events to start on time if the result was that all presentations were cut off at the end time, whether or not compelte, so the rooms could be cleared, or that doors were shut with seats still empty and people waiting to enter (which I understand happened with Iger).

Pre-Expo, I posted on these Boards about my concerns with checking our cell phones, so we made alternative arrangements for Iger. But after just existing from that event was so difficult (although not as tough as for Rasulo when the poster give away made exiting painfully slow), we really had no major issues with checking (and retrieving) them 4 more times during the Expo. Again, I would hate to see Disney censor the presentations to a greater degree just so cell phones/camera need not be checked.

-- Suzanne

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

For the Princess and the Frog presentation to start so late is ridiculous because most of us (me included) started to queue for it an hour and a half in advance to gaurantee us entry. So that's THREE HOURS of waiting! I ended up skipping out because it wasn't worth it anymore. I look forward to seeing the finished film.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast