Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Once upon a dream

Is a Membership worth it?

I am unsure to ask for a membership because of that little price tag on it. I dont think my dad would let me but who knows. It looks kind of cool but I dont live in Anaheim but my dad works down there.

I got interested as soon as I saw the d23 pins and the Silver Ears.

~babs

• Nerd

Re: Is a Membership worth it?

I'm a member. I don' think you really get much for your money. There is a really nice very high quality magazine that they publish 4 times a year (I think) I joined so I could go on the Archives Tour at the Studios, but I've yet to be able to get any tickets to that, so for me, its kind of a bust. I could live without the magazine or the pins.

• Once upon a dream

Eh alright. Thanks for your opinion

I just really wanted the ears.

~babs

• Hukuna Matata!

What ears? I never recieved any silver ears. So far my D23 Membership hasnt paid off but I am positive to the future, If your debating signing up, I wouldnt lose hope just yet just wait till the right moment, its coming soon.

• Candlelight Caroler

I think that D23 has given us a lot of opportunities to pursue amazing experiences, be exposed to rich information, and support our favorite company in a unique way that makes me feel connected. However, I did not pursue anything outside of what was mailed to me or distributed online. With the first expo out of the way, and a year of events under their belt, I'm curious what D23 is going to do to keep us casual participants as members. I'll have to see, but D23 mouse ears may not do it for me.

• Once upon a dream

Silver "VoluntEARS" Mickey Ears (RARE)

I think it was for d23 only.

• Wilderness Explorer

Money-wise. It is definitely worth it.

$80 Membership (after taxes).

-$15 per issue for quarterly magazine = $60
    Also every issue comes with a cool collectible item that you can't buy in stores.
    -Let's price the awesome Mickey poster at like $30. which is what a print might cost you at Disneyland. (And even $30 is way cheaper then you'd pay for something of that size)
    -Not going to put a price on the member certificate or card. Kinda just neat perks. I honestly wouldn't pay money for them though.
    -D23 Expo Ticket price discount. I only went 1 of the days so I got a $7 per ticket discount. 2 tickets (for me and my girlfriend) = $14 discount.
    If you go more of the days you get a bigger discount.
    Total = $104

So for me, my membership EASILY paid itself off. And I haven't attended any of the events they have held because the free ones sell out fast, and the other ones cost too much money for me to afford.

So in my opinion, yes, the membership pays itself off.

If you don't want to keep the free gifts, eBay has been profitable for many members. The patch we received in the Fall magazine has sold for at least 30 dollars ( I saw the Sub patch go for 120!). So that would help pay off your membership!

• The 'Big Dreams' Kid

You get a cool magazine I think, and some occasional gifts. I want a membership.

• no flash photography...

no, it's not worth it.

• Not a Minion

the answer to your question comes down to these questions first:
    1. do you live in the los angeles/socal area?
    2. if you don't are you willing to travel?

The reason I ask is because the membership is really beneficial if you can attend the events. Heck, the UP event alone was well worth the membership since I could take a guest in with me. It was great. In addition, I was able to attend the Disneyland event which was really worth well over the membership price tag. However, I live in the Los Angeles area so being able to attend those was a big plus for my membership.

On the other hand, I've read many members complaining for not having events which are more local to their area and if I were in their positions, I will have to agree.

The magazines itself are good stuff so if you just join for the magazines and free gifts, it'll be beneficial to you in that sense and as mentioned earlier, by default, you get d23 expo discounted tickets.

So for me, membership was worth the money and as long as my finances allow, I will continue to renew each year, however, with that said, my recommendations over getting a membership may vary from member to member as we are already seeing on this thread alone.

• Wilderness Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    no, it's not worth it.
    Hm. You make a good point....

You'd make a damn good Lawyer.
    Last edited by Awesome; 11-29-2009 at 03:00 PM.

• Wilderness Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by cruisedude4 View Post
    If you don't want to keep the free gifts, eBay has been profitable for many members. The patch we received in the Fall magazine has sold for at least 30 dollars ( I saw the Sub patch go for 120!). So that would help pay off your membership!
    Holy crap. That's the patch I have. $120? Damn that sounds awesome. But I love that patch so much. It brings back so many childhood memories, I was so happy that I was lucky enough to get that patch... I'd hate to get rid of it.

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by ryanvalle View Post
    Heck, the UP event alone was well worth the membership since I could take a guest in with me.
    The UP event I did have tickets for, but could not go to since they had it in the middle of the night on a weekday. Some people do have to work. The EXPO was just horrible and their other offerings sell out/are given out very quickly....again usually on a morning on a weekday when people who have jobs would be at work...so no it has not been worth it to me. The magazines are so-so...nothing great about those.

I guess if you are a student or don't have a job with normal hours it would be worth it....I suppose...

• Banned User

Not worth it.

Though the early events were free, recent events are extremely expensive.
    I, too, joined for the studio tour, which I was never able to get tickets for.
    The magazine--though nicely done--is mostly an ad for Disney. There's not much in there that you wouldn't find out here anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast