Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Having a Grand Day!

New Membership Tiers for 2010 Renewal

Was browsing the Disney Store website for ways to send myself broke and I came across newly posted information about D23 renewal which is now avaliable.

Apparently for 2010 there will be two tiers: Gold and Silver, the difference seemingly being the inclusion of the magazine subscription. What do people think of this development? It does reduce the buy in cost, but I can easily see the potential for scope creep in the future with Silver membership being shut out of certain high demand events.

Anyway, info is here: Disney Renew a D23 Membership | D23 | Disney Store

Good news is that the cost of shipping seems to have been reduced drastically for international members.

Now for that Darkwing Duck snowglobe....

UPDATED BY ADMIN 1-7-10

D23: THE OFFICIAL COMMUNITY FOR DISNEY FANS
    ANNOUNCES NEW TIERED MEMBERSHIP LEVELS

BURBANK, Calif.
    – January 7, 2010 – Becoming a member of the fast-growing D23: The Official Community for Disney Fans just got easier, as D23 recently announced new tiered membership options.

D23 celebrates its first anniversary in March, having grown to encompass tens of thousands of members from more than 30 countries around the world. To mark the occasion, the only official Disney fan community introduced two tiers of membership, Gold and Silver, for the 2010 calendar year.

“D23 Members are the most passionate, excited – and exciting – Disney fans in the world, and D23 wants to constantly change, grow and expand to meet their needs,” said Steven Clark, head of D23.

D23 Members in both the new Gold and Silver tiers will receive a membership card; a suitable-for-framing member certificate (for new members); opportunities to attend special D23 Member events throughout the year; access to exclusive, limited-edition merchandise and collectibles; and 2010 gift of “Disney Undiscovered: A 23-Month Calendar of Disney’s Unrealized Masterpieces.”

“Disney Undiscovered” presents rare and never-before seen images from Disney theme-park, live-action and animation projects that were not completed, many of which have achieved legendary status among Disney fans. The calendar features art from never-built project like the Mineral King ski resort and Walt Disney’s St. Louis Project; theme park lands such as Discovery Bay at Disneyland and the Switzerland pavilion at Epcot; and unproduced films including a watercolor from the original Little Mermaid that Walt had in early pre-production in the late 1930s.

In addition to all of these benefits of D23 membership, Gold members will receive a one-year subscription to Disney twenty-three, a stunning, oversized collectible quarterly publication that brings new perspective and insight into Disney’s past, present and future.

New in 2010, D23 Members will enjoy new discounts and offers. Members who show their valid D23 Membership card (with a photo ID) will receive a discount at many locations in the Downtown Disney® District at Disneyland and at ESPN Zone locations across the country.

Gold membership is $74.99 a year, and Silver membership is $34.99 a year.

Full details on memberships – and renewing existing memberships – can be found at www.disney.com/D23
    Last edited by Dustysage; 01-07-2010 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Updated by Dusty

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Re: New Membership Tiers for 2010 Renewal

Interesting. It seems like a lot of money to spend just for the chance to go to events. Doesn't help this fence sitter lol
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Banned User

Huh, what is the $35 membership?

Access to a webpage--a webpage that's presently free for everyone

A membership card--a card that won't let you into most events becuase it's a silver card. (Not to mention the recently events have been wildly overpriced.)

A calendar--more or less the type of thing you'd spend about $3 to $5 on after Christmas.

The "opportunity" to buy overpriced, cheaply made plastic crap from the D23 Disney Store. This is termed "exclusive."

And some junk email. Which, as the ad points out: (You may opt out of receiving FanFare after your first e-newsletter arrives.)

Oh, and a certificate.

Who thinks up these things???

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandtour View Post
    Huh, what is the $35 membership?

Access to a webpage--a webpage that's presently free for everyone

A membership card--a card that won't let you into most events becuase it's a silver card. (Not to mention the recently events have been wildly overpriced.)

A calendar--more or less the type of thing you'd spend about $3 to $5 on after Christmas.

The "opportunity" to buy overpriced, cheaply made plastic crap from the D23 Disney Store. This is termed "exclusive."

And some junk email. Which, as the ad points out: (You may opt out of receiving FanFare after your first e-newsletter arrives.)

Oh, and a certificate.

Who thinks up these things???

People who know if they slap the disney name on it and make it seem exclusive people will line up to throw money at it.

• Not a Minion

I am personally happy with the offering of two tiers for membership. From the looks of it, the only difference are the magazines. Events, from what I see, looks to be treated the same for both tiers, so by paying more doesn't necessarily mean you'll get priority for events.

For $35, it's actually a great value if you can attend one of their events, especially their free events. As a member of 2009, my $75 fee paid off for itself with the Disneyland event (two free tickets to disneyland), watch Up at the El Capitan for free, and had the opportunity to go to the Ponyo premiere (long story, but at the end of it all, I couldn't make it...). So if I could've been able to do all that for $35, even better.

Yes, these event's aren't guaranteed, but you go in taking a risk. Better yet if you like the magazines because for $75, you'll be getting around $60 worth of magazines, making the $15 extra you pay able to make it's money back through free events and free gifts. Sell those stuff on ebay, and you can easily make your money back.

Sure they shouldn't be advertising the $35 value with their "free" (or what most people aren't sold to seeing as having value), but in all truth, "access to D23 events" is well worth the money.

What I wish though is that they had a new card design for 2010.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ryanvalle View Post
    For $35, it's actually a great value if you can attend one of their events, especially their free events. As a member of 2009, my $75 fee paid off for itself with the Disneyland event (two free tickets to disneyland), watch Up at the El Capitan for free, and had the opportunity to go to the Ponyo premiere (long story, but at the end of it all, I couldn't make it...). So if I could've been able to do all that for $35, even better.
    Congrats. For those of us outside of So Cal or who can't get to WDW last minute, events are lower priority - I'm not going to pay $35 hoping they have an event near me or that they give me enough lead time to set up a trip to a park (at least this year they didn't do that).
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

My preference: I would be happy with a $40 (or less) subscription to the magazine and not be a member of a club. Especially if they continue to toss in the retro collectible stuff. So in my book, they got this offer backwards. Let me subscribe to a magazine or let me be part of the "club" with the magazine as a benefit. But to join a club simply for the privilege to possibly spend more money or be part of a lottery doesn't really excite me.

I also noticed they are not announcing a discount to the Expo as a benefit, which was part of the original package along with the magazine and "surprises". So that is different and could be perceived as a cut in benefits.

At this time, I am unlikely to renew my charter membership and I will just pick up the latest edition of the magazine when I in the park next time.

If I were a D23 staffer I would be sure my resume is up to date. Disney has proven in the past they don't have much patience for losing experiments. The end of the year discount and this restructuring is suggesting this program is not meeting expectations.

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

I bought a D23 membership on the first day they were available. My husband bought one a few weeks after that because we were anticipating attending a few of the events and to include my son meant we'd need 2 memberships. We went to one event, the UP! all night at the El Capitan, which I admit was a good night.

Then events started being added that required member to pay to attend. And pay a LOT. Then the magazine seemed to go a bit downhill also...I can get free brochures about Disney vacations, I don't need several pages of magazine space devoted to a glorified advertisement. The expo discounts weren't worth mentioning, and that especially should have been used as a thank you for members.

So, yeah, I'm disillusioned and disappointed. So when I renew I'll have the 'opportunity' to buy a cheaper membership, bypass the magazine...for what? More 'opportunities' to spend several hundred dollars per person to attend an event?

One tier, two tiers, doesn't matter. When renewals are due, I'm out.

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    Congrats. For those of us outside of So Cal or who can't get to WDW last minute, events are lower priority - I'm not going to pay $35 hoping they have an event near me or that they give me enough lead time to set up a trip to a park (at least this year they didn't do that).
    even if you did live in ca if you have a full time 8 to 5 job you have no opportunity to get the tickets. They normally go on sale 11am on weekdays.

The one magazine I looked at wasn't even that great.

Quote Originally Posted by SnorkletsMom View Post

One tier, two tiers, doesn't matter. When renewals are due, I'm out.
    me too.

• Disneylander

I enjoyed Expo, and the events I attended. I will renew my membership.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

I'm still fence sitting right now. The magazine is ok, I'm hanging onto them as a collectible to someday pass down to any grandkids I might have, but if the only difference in membership is $40 for 4 magazines.... I'm leaning toward the cheaper option. I was never able to attend any of the events, and don't foresee attending any the coming year. The exception would be if they do another expo, then I might go to that. Maybe.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Good news is that the cost of shipping seems to have been reduced drastically for international members.
    Really because I looked at the shipping and handling for the Gold Membership and it was $57.95 for International Shipping.

Personally I'm going to hold out on renewing my Membership for now. The Magazines are the only item that I would be interested in purchasing, the rest of the Membership I consider to be a waste of money. Because of my location I have to pay more and recieve less as I don't get to attend the park events. The Expo that I did attend I felt was very poorly mananged, and while I did enjoy some of it, I'm not in a hurry to attend this year if we end up getting one. Its a shame the Disney Shopping site could not offer a Magazine subscription without the silly extras.

One other thing despite all the criticism the Charter Year Membership has recieved and the fact Disney has had up to a year to re think its Membership strategy, I feel its done a very poor job at listening to the feedback and has made the same mistake once again. Only this time I don't think people will be so willing to give them a second chance.
    Last edited by Malin; 01-02-2010 at 06:40 AM.

• D23 Lover!

My question is if you get the silver membership if you still get the little gifts that come with the magazines. Because to me those were sweeter than the magazine itself.

The Charter Membership was well worth the money for me because I live in LA and I got to attend almost all the free events (Studio Tour, Disneyland USA, Ponyo, and the Disney Museum weekend). I missed the UP event, as I wasn't a member when it happened.

However excluding the events, it was still well worth the money because:

-Able to attend the Expo an hour before everyone else. The discount was great too, but I think getting in early was an amazing perk.
    -The little gifts that came with the magazine
    -The ability to buy the exclusive Charter Year pins

While I am most likely to renew, here are a few of my hesitations:

-Reading the new terms to the membership, it doesn't mention anything about the Expo. Will there even been an Expo in 2010?
    -Second, I feel like the "Charter Year" merchandise is more appealing than anything saying like "Year 2." There's just a bigger draw to buy merchandise that's from the first year
    -And... will the events continue to cost money? While the price they offer for the event seems worth it for what it is, I simply don't have that kind of money at this point in my life. Anything above $20 I wouldn't be able to do.

Luckily I joined the club in May, so I have a little extra time to decide. But if there's no Expo (or Expo perks), not as good exclusive merch, and the events continue to cost hundreds of dollars, I may just rethink.

However, if they offer a sweet gift to those that decide to renew, it might be worth it. Otherwise I might rejoin when I have more money.

I'm a big Disney fan, but I'll pass on D23.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast