Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Re: D23 announces 2010 special events schedule

I am very happy to see them with some pre-planning events.

I REALLY hope that some of the events to come are outside of the DL and WDW area, though. That was a slight disappointment.

But now maybe I'll be able to attend a WDW event at least
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Not a Minion

I just came with a crazy idea: what IF they're asking for money from the studio tour because its something they do very cheaply but instead, need money to offset costs for other events?

One thought in mind, the Disneyland and WDW events are surely going to be costly. Sure Disneyland and D23 operate under the same company, but from what I understand, they work as separate entities, meaning Disneyland can't offer free stuff to D23 members, thus the D23 team needs to bill members for events. With that said, I'm thinking that the price of the tour may help reduce costs for future events.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by ryanvalle View Post
    I just came with a crazy idea: what IF they're asking for money from the studio tour because its something they do very cheaply but instead, need money to offset costs for other events?
    from page 1:
    No expo probably explains the costs attached to some of the events listed above, as well as some of those still to be announced. Also charging for the studio tours this time around should probably eliminate some returnees to make room for more members to have a chance at it this time around. Making up for production and merchandise costs has got to be made up somewhere.
    All their Disney dollars roll to the same place.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Not a Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I hope the gifts with the $50 studio tour are worth it. I also wish there was a way they could allow older members to have some sort of priority to attend?
    I wish they would do that also, but I think it's unlikely to happen just because I think it falls on the lines of "whoever pays us more will get the events" which I think is unfair. I would still like to see them establish a waitlist where members can get on a waiting list to attend the studio tour as they become available (kind of like how club 33 has a waitlist to that holds spots as they become available).

• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by goofystitch View Post
    I think that charging for the studio tours this year is a really good idea and will hopefully make it easier to get in. If I'm not mistaken, it costs $45 to take the WB Studio Tour and to do Universal's, you have to pay to get into the park which is around $60 and if you want a real tour (not just a tram) you have to pay more. So $50 is a great deal for a studio that doesn't offer routine tours to the general public. We shouldn't be looking at this as "people got to go for free last year" because last year was a learning experience. It seems like the number 1 complaint from Mice Chatters about D23 is that they couldn't get into a studio tour.
    Very good points.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnorkletsMom View Post
    This isn't about covering expenses, it's about making money, plain and simple. And I don't object to Disney making money, I object to them opening up an exclusive club with an exhorbitant membership fee, promising members-only great events and then price gouging on those events.
    Gouging? Seriously?

D23 promised great events, and I think they are delivering on that promise. What they did NOT promise was that all those events would be free. They very generously delivered some very spectacular events last year to those charter members lucky enough to join early and get tix. I see those events as a "first year" member perk; a reward to those who took the plunge and joined this new club in it's opening phase and took a chance on the $75 initial membership.

Just a glance at all the free events they offered last year, and a little common sense, would instantly tell anyone who thought about it that they could not keep up all these great events without cost. Do you honestly think that a measly $35/year would enable them to continue all these events for free?!

It really bothers me that because D23 was generous with events for charter members lucky enough to experience them, now those members are bashing them as price gouging greedy profiteers, because they now have simply put a fair price on some of those events. As goofystich pointed out, a tour of the WB studio is the same price... and the Disney Studio tours are not open to the general public.

It is ludicrous to call $50 for a private tour of the Disney Studios "price gouging" just as much as it is calling the $35 annual membership fee "exhorbitant". A bit overly dramatic if you ask me.
    --Jonathan

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Just to put a little perspective on the tour price of $50. It's certainlly not as detailed a tour as you would have at Warner Brothers. The Disney Studio tour is rather limited, and no sound stages are included. Basically just a portion of the studio. And did the tour include the upstairs archives room in the Wells building?

With the special showings of "The Princess and the Frog", the most you paid was $50, and less expensive tickets were included. You also got a tour of the Studios, and the movie and the event area with the games, the numerous princess meet and greet, the displays, and teh animation area. The D23 Studio Tour looks like it is lacking a LOT for a $50 charge. Not to mention, a tour group of 50 people???? THAT is a lot of people in a tour group, are they breaking it into small groups?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by EC82 View Post
    Well, normally I might agree with your cynical assessment, but think about the fact that they've got to open the studio, pay for security, pay for refreshments (assuming there are some? I haven't been on one of these), pay the staff involved, open the studio store, etc. I doubt $50 per person even begins to cover the costs for 10 hours of studio operations.
    They aren't operating these tours outside of normal business hours, so they wouldn't be adding hours to the studio store, if it even is included. And each of the tours is only two hours long, with 3 tours of up to 50 people in each tour (from what it said). Some security may be needed, But consider that the Archives staff would be there anyway, that's not a lot of extra expense. 3 x 50 x 50 = 7500. That should be plenty to take care of the expenses, plus. My main concern is the size of each tour, 50 people is a lot, and it would make for and extremely crowded archives room. Not even the tours at DL allow that many people on a tour together, and they even have headphones, to make sure everyone can hear.

• Not a Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    They aren't operating these tours outside of normal business hours, so they wouldn't be adding hours to the studio store, if it even is included. And each of the tours is only two hours long, with 3 tours of up to 50 people in each tour (from what it said). Some security may be needed, But consider that the Archives staff would be there anyway, that's not a lot of extra expense. 3 x 50 x 50 = 7500. That should be plenty to take care of the expenses, plus. My main concern is the size of each tour, 50 people is a lot, and it would make for and extremely crowded archives room. Not even the tours at DL allow that many people on a tour together, and they even have headphones, to make sure everyone can hear.
    They allow 50 people in each timeslot but from what I recall, the group is divided in two groups of 25. I think that is feasible. Schools go on field trips to museums, taking tours with over 25 kids (at least back when I was a kid) and things worked out fine. By that principle, groups of 25 should be manageable. Not to forget, the first two were learning experiences. Even though we're assuming these are the same tours as before, maybe the extra fees we're paying may be fees going towards improvements (doubtful, but a possibility). My only hope is that they do a different free gift and possibly if they open up the cafeteria so guests can have a bite before or after their tour

• Disneylander

Just to put a little perspective on the tour price of $50. It's certainlly not as detailed a tour as you would have at Warner Brothers. The Disney Studio tour is rather limited, and no sound stages are included. Basically just a portion of the studio. And did the tour include the upstairs archives room in the Wells building?

With the special showings of "The Princess and the Frog", the most you paid was $50, and less expensive tickets were included. You also got a tour of the Studios, and the movie and the event area with the games, the numerous princess meet and greet, the displays, and teh animation area. The D23 Studio Tour looks like it is lacking a LOT for a $50 charge. Not to mention, a tour group of 50 people???? THAT is a lot of people in a tour group, are they breaking it into small groups?
    I was lucky enough to go on one of these tours. We did get to see sound stages, we saw sets, we saw Disney artifacts including Mary Poppins' hat, a multiplane camera and the original spell book from Bedknobs and Broomsticks. Serious Haunted Mansion artifacts. Really cool tribute to Donald Duck Merchandise. The first ticket to Disneyland. We also got serious quality time with Dave Smith. It rocked. It's worth more to me than $50, in fact, I flew down for it from Northern California, so I actually paid more than $50. It was awesome. And a privilege.
    Last edited by Figaro; 01-15-2010 at 11:20 PM. Reason: fixing the usual typos

• Padawan

No offense, but It's kinda hard for you to put it in perspective if you haven't actually taken the tour.

Also, since no one has taken the tours this year yet, it also isn't known if they will be the exact same experience as the first tours last year. It is possible they could be enhanced, I would not be surprised at all. I have always been impressed with my D23 experiences so far.
    --Jonathan

• Your Average Joe

Just realized that the March 10 event at Disneyland is the same day as the Shareholder Meeting in San Antonio. We should have a lot to talk about!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Figaro View Post
    I was lucky enough to go on one of these tours. We did get to see sound stages, we saw sets, we saw Disney artifacts including Mary Poppins' hat, a multiplane camera and the original spell book from Bedknobs and Broomsticks. Serious Haunted Mansion artifacts. Really cool tribute to Donald Duck Merchandise. The first ticket to Disneyland. We also got serious quality time with Dave Smith. It rocked. It's worth more to me than $50, in fact, I flew down for it from Northern California, so I actually paid more than $50. It was awesome. And a privilege.
    Thanks, I had seen a couple reports about the d23 tours, but didn't recall all the info, or if the entire tour was in their reports. Which soundstages did they let you enter?

The tour groups they did for Princess and the Frog didn't include going into the Archives room, but did include the 1st floor of the Wells building, with the hat display, various costume displays, multiplane camera. We also walked thru the animation building, and the eisner building, and walking around most of the main campus. The PatF event also used one of the larger buldings next to the campus, which did have several props from various movies, as a sort of "lobby" while we were waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by DOOM BGI View Post
    No offense, but It's kinda hard for you to put it in perspective if you haven't actually taken the tour.

Also, since no one has taken the tours this year yet, it also isn't known if they will be the exact same experience as the first tours last year. It is possible they could be enhanced, I would not be surprised at all. I have always been impressed with my D23 experiences so far.
    Again, my comparison was with the tour we received with the Princess and the Frog event. We did go into the Frank Wells building, saw the multi plane camera, the hats on display, including Mary Poppins. Although I realize the D23 tour did go into the archives room on the 1st floor of the Wells building. BUT, 25 people in that room is lot of people in that room. There were at least a couple reports here on MiceChat that did give reports on the tour, so even without going on the particular D23 Tours last year, it is fair to "put it in perspective". In my "PatF" tour, there were only 7 of us, and that included a security guard.

And to be fair, I did ask if the soundstages were included. Specifically, I was wondering about soundstages (the large buildings like where Pirates was filmed and other movies and shows were filmed), not just the recording stages close to the commisary) . Also I had asked if the tour included the Disney Archive room upstairs in the Wells building. Still not sure if that was included.

Yes, you are right, we don't know what changes, if any, they have planned for this year, so that we will need to wait and see about that. Hopefully, sincce they made this a paid event, they will have additions to the tour, but I wouldn't count on it.

Sure it was great as a free event, BUT as a paid event??? Compared to what the Princess and the Frog event, I'm not so sure $50 D23 tour of the studio will be the better deal.

• Padawan

Again, my comparison was with the tour we received with the Princess and the Frog event. We did go into the Frank Wells building, saw the multi plane camera, the hats on display, including Mary Poppins. Although I realize the D23 tour did go into the archives room on the 1st floor of the Wells building. BUT, 25 people in that room is lot of people in that room. There were at least a couple reports here on MiceChat that did give reports on the tour, so even without going on the particular D23 Tours last year, it is fair to "put it in perspective". In my "PatF" tour, there were only 7 of us, and that included a security guard.
    Wow, I did not even know that the P&TF event included part of the studio tour, that sounds awesome. And people were still complaining that that event was overpriced! No matter what, some people will always complain.
    --Jonathan

Hmm, I just realized that the 40th anniversary archive event conflicts with SF Pride. Will have to know more details about the archive event before I decide which to attend.

• Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by MrScroogeMcDuck View Post
    Hmm, I just realized that the 40th anniversary archive event conflicts with SF Pride. Will have to know more details about the archive event before I decide which to attend.
    I did not even notice that. I have a trip planned for NYC Pride this year that is also the same weekend! I guess I have to think about it as well...
    --Jonathan

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast