Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Re: D23 announces 2010 special events schedule

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    Best bet is to get together with a friend who also has a D23 membership. One of you attempt to get the tour tickets and the other the movie screening.
    Great idea! I don't have any friends with D23 memberships, so if there is anyone else planning to go to these events solo, I'd be happy to work this out. I hope the movie capacity will keep it from filling up so fast, but I want to paly it safe.
    Ludwig von Baroketch

Kapellmeister, Gracey Estate

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

I was curious and sent an email to D23 customer service to ask about the reasoning behind charging for the Studios tour this year when it was free last year. Here is the response they sent back:

Last year, D23’s tours of the Walt Disney Studios lot and Archives were among our most popular programs, and we were pleased to offer them on a complimentary basis as part of D23’s Charter Year. To help offset the costs of producing the tours, we have instituted a $50 per person fee (a similar cost to other VIP studio tours) for the two-hour events that are hosted by the D23 Team and our official historians from the Walt Disney Archives. D23 has also added a brand-new event, the “50 and Fabulous Film Festival” screening series, which is complimentary to members and their guests, and in response to member feedback, offers significantly higher capacity so more members can have the chance to visit the Studio lot in Burbank. We hope members and their guests will be able to enjoy our free events, as well as the wide array of activities we have planned for 2010.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Not a Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    I was curious and sent an email to D23 customer service to ask about the reasoning behind charging for the Studios tour this year when it was free last year. Here is the response they sent back:
    No mention of whether it'll be the same tour or kind of "upgraded" for the aded $50 cost...

Thanks for sharing though! Good to hear an "official" reasoning!

• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain

Wow, I just noticed the "Flowers & Fireworks" event May 29-30 is the weekend before Gay Days start when I already have a trip planned.

It appears that by expanding it to two days, they are going to pattern this event after the smashing success of last year's "Magic & Merriment" event at WDW. That was a great event, and the fact that they are expanding the Spring event to two days makes me not want to miss it!

It looks like I am going to have to go a week earlier for another extended WDW stay!

--Jonathan

Question Re: D23 announces 2010 special events schedule

I too am hoping to attend the Flowers & Fireworks weekend and then stay on for Gay Days 2010. But, I have a feeling that the F&F event will be moved. The Epcot Flower and Garden Festival ends May 16 this year, not the usual last weekend in May.
    Mike L
    Premier Annual Passport
    D23 Charter Member

'09 - D23 Expo, Princess & the Frog preview, Magic & Merriment Weekend
    '10 - 1st Anniversary Party, Roy Disney Tribute, Pollyanna screening, Toy Story Marathon, Disney Archives 40th Anniversary, Dateline Disneyland 1955, Secretariat preview, Destination D, Zorro screening, Tangled preview
    '11 - Love is Magical, 2nd Anniversary Mixer, Absent Minded Professor screening, Destination D, Studio Tour, Sci-Fi Academy, D23 Expo (premier), Babes in Toyland screening, Magic & Merriment Weekend
    '12 - Newsies screening, Journey to Marceline tour, Sister Act screening, Brave preview, Brave artists meet/greet/screening, Treasures Exhibit - Reagan Library preview, Timothy Green premiere, Destination D (diamond), Treasure Island screening, Magic & Merriment Weekend
    '13 - El Capitan Peter Pan Panel & Screening, Disney Video Game Unveiling, Fanniversary, OZ preview, Son of Flubber screening, Summer Magic screening, Tiki Room 50th anniversary, D23 Expo (sorcerer), Sword in the Stone screening, Hocus Pocus screening, Frozen preview, 20,000 Leagues screening
    '14 - Pirate Fairy screening, Rebel Rendezvous, Three Musketeers screening, Destination D

Haha, great to see so many fellow gays here. Represent!

LOL, anyway, the Flowers & Fireworks event is something I'll have to consider, especially since it's being expanded to two days.

• Defender of the castle

Any chance they will have somthing for Alice in Wonderland movie?

• Not a Minion

Quote Originally Posted by musakman5150 View Post
    Any chance they will have somthing for Alice in Wonderland movie?
    For now, I'd say don't count on anything that hasn't been announced. I'd love to see midnight screenings similar to UP all night for movies like Alice, Prince of Persia, and Toy Story (heck count Iron Man 2 now that's it's owned by disney, but doubtful on that one) because those were just great, but really comes down to a cost breakdown.

I know that other studios do on-lot screenings of their movies for employees, so I'm curious if D23 can offer something similar to these movies coming out (screening it in their new theater for a d23 event or at el capitan) at minimal cost. Events as simple as these really put a lot of value in the membership in my opinion.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by ryanvalle View Post
    I'd love to see midnight screenings similar to UP all night for movies like Alice, Prince of Persia, and Toy Story (heck count Iron Man 2 now that's it's owned by disney, but doubtful on that one) because those were just great, but really comes down to a cost breakdown.
    Marvel's own projects include "Iron Man 2," "Iron Man 3" and movies based on Thor, Captain America and the Avengers; Paramount has worldwide distribution rights to those films
    Disney to buy Marvel for $4 billion

Disney like all major studios hold numerous screening for virtually every feature film release on the lot and at various theatres, including of course the El Capitan, throughout Southern California for media, studio guests and recruited audiences for word-of-mouth. The bigger the launch, 'A Christmas Carol' is a good example, typically the greater number of screenings. 'Alice in Wonderland' should be no exception, and would make it an obvious choice for an upcoming D23 event. Tea anyone?
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Not a Minion

So who's ready for the big sign ups tomorrow? I'm only aiming for two tickets to the studio tour, but we'll see how things turn out...

I, too, am going to try for tickets to the studio tour tomorrow. If somebody doesn't mind helping a new D23 member out, can you tell me how we go about purchasing the tickets tomorrow at 10am? Is it online, on the same page as the event description? Or are we supposed to call a phone number? Or...?

• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by btowndude View Post
    I too am hoping to attend the Flowers & Fireworks weekend and then stay on for Gay Days 2010. But, I have a feeling that the F&F event will be moved. The Epcot Flower and Garden Festival ends May 16 this year, not the usual last weekend in May.
    But don't you think that the folks at D23 had access to the calendar for Flower & Garden when they picked the dates?

If you notice in the description to the events released (quoted by Dustysage in the OP), under the "Sip and Stroll" event it says "at the immensely popular Epcot International Food and Wine Festival".

Yet under the description for "Flowers and Fireworks" it makes no mention at all of the very popular Flower and Garden Festival at Epcot. I think they are planning a "Flowers" theme taking a cue from the Flower and Garden Festival but I think it is a completely independent event and will not require the actual festival to be running at the same time. My guess is also that a significant part of this event will take place in the MK (the "fireworks" part), or another park making this a multi-park experience. Note also the description makes no mention of Epcot at all; it refers to the location of the event as "Walt Disney World Resort".

Just my theory of course. But then again, maybe you're right and they goofed.
    Last edited by DOOM BGI; 01-26-2010 at 06:06 PM. Reason: sp
    --Jonathan

• Not a Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Flashbaak View Post
    I, too, am going to try for tickets to the studio tour tomorrow. If somebody doesn't mind helping a new D23 member out, can you tell me how we go about purchasing the tickets tomorrow at 10am? Is it online, on the same page as the event description? Or are we supposed to call a phone number? Or...?
    Typically orders are done on the internet unless noted. Check up on the d23 site at 10am as they are now trying to be as precise as possible. Have your membership number and credit card ready for processing.

Some users like to refresh minutes before 10am, but I don't recommend this for multiple reasons:
    1. You put an enormous amount of stress on their servers, causing a possible crash or further delay on your registration
    2. After so many visits, your computer may store a "cache," forcing you to see an older version of the site, delaying seeing the actual registration.

Now they are doing so many registrations for that day, nearly 300 spots for the tour (2 tour days, 150 spots each) along with the 400 seats for the movie, all within the same registration.

If my theory serves right, people have work and school at the time and with the added fees, registration should be easier than before (but not guaranteeing spots like we all want). It will surely be a sell out event, but I say, give it minutes over seconds, like before, for a sellout to occur.

Blog Entries

Thanks for explaining how to get tickets! I am trying to get Toby Tyler tickets this morning since it is one of my favorite Disney movies!

Good luck to everyone!

59 minutes and counting... this is sad! I hope they get it right this time. Good luck!
    Ludwig von Baroketch

Kapellmeister, Gracey Estate

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast