D23 Events: My Perspective

It's very interesting to see the reactions of the readers/members. On one hand, there's the camp that says, "Boo! Disney is charging us for all this stuff and that's not right."

On the other hand, there are the folks happy with the event lineup and looking at this as a sign that D23 is building and growing and adding fun things.

I'm more on the side of the latter -- Rome wasn't built in a day, and you can't expect D23, even with the marketing muscle of Disney, to be perfect out the gate. Nothing is, and in the case of D23, I've seen nothing but improvement.

For those who think $50 is unreasonable for the studio tour fee, consider that Disney has NEVER EVER had studio tours. Paramount does, Sony does, Warner Bros. does, Universal does, and guess what? Every single one of those is non-exclusive, open to the public and COSTS a lot of money. Disney is limiting its tours to D23 members, so access is tremendously limited, and it's charging an amount very much in line with the "going rate."

Events cost a huge amount of money. Having worked at many entertainment companies (including studios) over the years, it's not unusual for a big, private event like a Disneyland party to cost well over a quarter of a million dollars. Those costs HAVE to be offset; it's simply a reality of life. A $79 or $39 membership fee for D23 doesn't do that. Even if there were 100,000 D23 members, you have to factor in the costs of the staff, the costs of the magazine (production, mailing, etc.), the costs of the events, the cost of travel TO those events for staff running them, etc. It may seem like Disney's making a killing on D23, but they're probably just BARELY turning a profit. Adding an event in, say, Kansas City or Atlanta just isn't feasible if only 50 people go to it. (Think about airfare, rental cars, room costs, meals, etc., in addition to the cost of the events.)

These are not events that 1,000,000 annual passholders can get into. They're events created for YOU. It's time to stop complaining. You want $500 worth of value for $79, and instead you're getting $120 worth of value for $79.

With many fans, D23 just can't win. But I'm supporting it all the way!

• Not a Minion

Re: D23 Events: My Perspective

The only thing I want to complain about is that I have nothing left to say since you stated EXACTLY how I feel

I couldn't have said it better myself (I wouldn't have even had thought of the other studios offering tours to everyone else for higher prices). Good job!

Well, I both agree and disagree. On the one hand, you're absolutely right about the cost to Disney. The value of d23 is easily worth more than the annual membership fee.

However, I am quite upset with them for adding a cheaper silver membership and letting them have the same shot as Charter/Gold members. If they wanted to have it where you could ADD additional members to a gold membership for that price, fine, because that would be a way to cover families at a price they could afford. Yes, I realize we're basically paying the extra cost for a magazine subscription, but the higher the fee, regardless of the benefits, the fewer people you have going for event tickets.

Of course, I realize I'm probably in the minority on this. I'm one who thinks they should have several more levels, including at least one that is more expensive than the current annual fee. This would come in handy for tickets where location is important (such as musical tickets). You could have the highest membership level get a crack at the best seats, then the next level, and so on. For the other events, you could throw in extras for the higher levels. Just little perks, nothing that would destroy the experience for the lower levels.
    Last edited by MrScroogeMcDuck; 01-15-2010 at 06:57 PM.

Scrooge, hmmm ... in this economy, I don't think it would be such a great idea for most Disney fans to add MORE levels. They seemed to be trying to satisfy both kinds of fans: Those to whom the entire experience, including the magazine, matters, and those who just want the access to the events.

Personally, I can't see why anyone would want to go for a membership without the magazine, but I guess the option is there!

• Not a Minion

Quote Originally Posted by EC82 View Post
    Scrooge, hmmm ... in this economy, I don't think it would be such a great idea for most Disney fans to add MORE levels. They seemed to be trying to satisfy both kinds of fans: Those to whom the entire experience, including the magazine, matters, and those who just want the access to the events.

Personally, I can't see why anyone would want to go for a membership without the magazine, but I guess the option is there!
    Agree. Heck, by paying more, technically you'll be getting a better value. There are just some fans who don't like reading. I will admit, I am one of those. I haven't fully read all the magazines so for me, the $35 member fee isn't a bad idea.

However, I like Scrooges idea:
    If they wanted to have it where you could ADD additional members to a gold membership for that price, fine, because that would be a way to cover families at a price they could afford.
    If I understand, he's saying that the silver membership be more of an add-on membership for families with a larger amount of fans. A household wouldn't need more than one magazine but may have more than 2 members who may want to attend an event and if they could limit these memberships to be purchased by gold members, then they could make such limitations a possibility.

• Diamond Edition

Bravo, EC82. I know I've personally butted heads before with a few Mice Chatters who do nothing but complain about D23 because they don't understand that what they expect simply isn't feasible. I think the D23 team has done an amazing job of listening to guest feedback and making changes to please members.

• A lot of people complained that the price of membership was too high and that they didn't like/read the magazine, so now there are 2 levels of membership.
    • A lot of people complained that events weren't announced far enough in advance, so they listed some of the events that are now set in stone on the site so members can plan their vacation time or save up for them.
    • A lot of members complained that it was impossible to get into free events, so now all free events have a $5 processing fee which should slow down registration and highly demanded events like studio tours have an appropriate price tag.

Since joining Mice Chat, I have learned how hard to please Disney fans are, but D23 has done everything they can to try to please everyone and I think they deserve a standing ovation for that.
    I'm attempting to watch and review every Disney movie ever made in my blog called The Disney Films. You can also follow me on Twitter for news on upcoming Disney films.

• Gumball Rally Godfather

I think D23 is doing the best they can for a start-up fan site. I've really enjoyed the magazine articles, and the giveaways like the '59 patches are awesome. (I finally managed to complete that collection, including the corrected Monorail patch and I couldn't be happier).

It would be nicer if I lived closer to SoCal so I could take advantage of some of the amazing events they've held, but that's on me... not D23.

As a participant in the D23 Expo, I felt that the D23 staff, and the whole Disney organization did a very good job, considering it was there first Expo. I'm sure that lessons were learned as well, and I fully expect that the staff at D23 will continue to strive for excellance on all fronts.

If I sound like a D23 apologist, I guess that I am to a certain degree. I really want D23 to succeed, as they have the best shot at getting us, the fans, the access that we so desire.

If D23 fails, then we lose. It's that simple.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

Quote Originally Posted by ryanvalle View Post
    The only thing I want to complain about is that I have nothing left to say since you stated EXACTLY how I feel

I couldn't have said it better myself (I wouldn't have even had thought of the other studios offering tours to everyone else for higher prices). Good job!
    I agree also. 50.00 is a bargain for the Studio tour and the Expo tickets were downright cheap (wish they'd announce one way or another on that) I did the Studio tour with ABD and it was wonderful. I don't know how this one compares, but we had a great and informative time. We got to shop at the store, had lunch in the commisary and did visit soundstages. In our case we saw the set for ..shoot..forgetting the name, but it was a good show...the guy had a brain tumor and saw things he needed to do to help people? We also saw a set from a reshoot of a scene in The Proposal. It was jam packed information, we spent alot of time in the Legends area, walked through the buildings, etc. WELL worth the price. I guess I'm a rahrah D23 type. Sure, things can always be improved upon, but they are just approaching their first anniversary, and have provided some amazing opportunities for the fan.

I don't have a problem with the studio tours being $50, I actually think that is a fair price for the experience. However, I don't think it's right that one group of fans got to have that experience for free, and now everyone lse will have to pay for it.

Melissa

• Diamond Edition

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaS View Post
    I don't have a problem with the studio tours being $50, I actually think that is a fair price for the experience. However, I don't think it's right that one group of fans got to have that experience for free, and now everyone lse will have to pay for it.

Melissa
    Last year was the first time that Disney had ever done anything like D23 and there were bound to be some errors. I think most members agree that the biggest problem of the charter year was that Disney had no idea how many people wanted to take a tour of the studio, so they gave them away for free. Each tour sold out in less than a minute and capacity was small, which angered a lot of people. I think the hope is that the $50 fee will slow down the selling process because it will eliminate some who won't pay for it and will also increase the amount of time it takes to order tickets because now you have to enter your credit card info. Basically, it provides the fans who really want to go with a bigger chance of getting in, wheras before some casual fans who were mildly interested got to go by sheer luck.

I don't think we should look at it as "They got to go for free, but I have to pay" because its basically the same thing as when a new store opens and has a giveaway to the first 100 people who come. Whether its a gift certificate, an iPod or a shirt, if you aren't one of the first 100 people you have to pay for it. Think of it as a Charter Year promotion rather than a "they got it free" sort of thing.
    I'm attempting to watch and review every Disney movie ever made in my blog called The Disney Films. You can also follow me on Twitter for news on upcoming Disney films.

We're pretty happy with our first year D23 membership. We have attended the CP and Mary Poppins and hope to go to the Anniversary at DL. The price for the CP was high but I believe the value was there. It would have been nice for us if they gave an AP holders discount but by not doing that they are probably keeping it from becomming a "locals" club. The silver membership will work out well for us becasue our family currently has 2 memberships so that we could buy enough tickets for the entire family. Will keep on Gold and shift the other one to silver when we renew. I do think that they should give the gold membership some advantage when signing up for an event. Maybe gold membership booking could open 1 hour before silver membership.

• Not a Minion

Quote Originally Posted by rlp View Post
    We're pretty happy with our first year D23 membership. We have attended the CP and Mary Poppins and hope to go to the Anniversary at DL. The price for the CP was high but I believe the value was there. It would have been nice for us if they gave an AP holders discount but by not doing that they are probably keeping it from becomming a "locals" club. The silver membership will work out well for us becasue our family currently has 2 memberships so that we could buy enough tickets for the entire family. Will keep on Gold and shift the other one to silver when we renew. I do think that they should give the gold membership some advantage when signing up for an event. Maybe gold membership booking could open 1 hour before silver membership.
    I like the idea of opening early for gold, but honestly, it'd take away. Lot of events from silver members. For example, the tours sold out within an hour.