• Theme Park Insider

Red Face Is the $50 tour the same as the "Princess and Frog" one?

I have a question for anyone who might have gone on the D23 Studio Tour last year. I was unable to get into any of the spots, and reeeally wanted to go, as I'm an aspiring animator who hopes to work there and would love to see it. I've had a job interview there and at the Archives once, so I've seen the Legends Plaza, the Team Disney building, and the lobby/some areas of the Archives. I also attended the "Princess and the Frog" screening and took the little tour that basically showed us the same things, and the hallway of the old animation building.

What I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to see is the NEW animation building. Where the current artists work. Is that showed on the D23 tour? Or should I even bother to try if it's going to be the same things? For $50, I'd hate to pay for a tour I've already seen twice for free when I'm on a tight budget.

Does anyone know if there's anything different or special about the D23 Studio Tour as opposed to the ones I've taken? Thanks!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Re: Is the $50 tour the same as the "Princess and Frog" one?

Quote Originally Posted by dramagrl View Post
    What I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to see is the NEW animation building. Where the current artists work. Is that showed on the D23 tour?
    The newly renamed Roy E. Disney Animation Building hasn't been mentioned in relation to D23 as far as I can tell. Probably to try to preserve the unique elements of the films currently in production, the as-yet unannounced/untitled and still in development projects. Industrious employees from competing studios can purchase fan club memberships too.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

My D23 Princess and the Frog was about 15 minutes long. The 2010 D23 studio tour is scheduled for two hours. I would expect that you will be able to see more of the studio buildings and sound stages.
    Mike L
    Premier Annual Passport
    D23 Charter Member

'09 - D23 Expo, Princess & the Frog preview, Magic & Merriment Weekend
    '10 - 1st Anniversary Party, Roy Disney Tribute, Pollyanna screening, Toy Story Marathon, Disney Archives 40th Anniversary, Dateline Disneyland 1955, Secretariat preview, Destination D, Zorro screening, Tangled preview
    '11 - Love is Magical, 2nd Anniversary Mixer, Absent Minded Professor screening, Destination D, Studio Tour, Sci-Fi Academy, D23 Expo (premier), Babes in Toyland screening, Magic & Merriment Weekend
    '12 - Newsies screening, Journey to Marceline tour, Sister Act screening, Brave preview, Brave artists meet/greet/screening, Treasures Exhibit - Reagan Library preview, Timothy Green premiere, Destination D (diamond), Treasure Island screening, Magic & Merriment Weekend
    '13 - El Capitan Peter Pan Panel & Screening, Disney Video Game Unveiling, Fanniversary, OZ preview, Son of Flubber screening, Summer Magic screening, Tiki Room 50th anniversary, D23 Expo (sorcerer), Sword in the Stone screening, Hocus Pocus screening, Frozen preview, 20,000 Leagues screening
    '14 - Pirate Fairy screening, Rebel Rendezvous, Three Musketeers screening, Mr. Toad screening, Snow White screening, Big Hero 6 preview, Little Mermaid screening, Destination D

• Diamond Edition

The previous tours didn't include a tour of the new animation building. And I know that when cast members were allowed on the studio lot to visit the archives and the store, the animation building was strictly off limits. It seems like to get in there, you either have to be an animator or someone with a lot of clearance within the company. But only time will tell if D23 will be allowed access to the building on future tours. I would suggest waiting until the first round of 2010 tours is over and finding out if there are any differences.
    I'm attempting to watch and review every Disney movie ever made in my blog called The Disney Films. You can also follow me on Twitter for news on upcoming Disney films.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Suspended

The Princess and the Frog tour didn't take you into the archive room on the 1st floor in the Wells Building, however the D23 tour did take you in there, and Dave Smith talked about some of the items. Other than that, I not aware of any major differences.