• Not a Minion

Apple iPad and D23

So, today Apple announced their new product, the iPad. Ignore it's name, but pretty much it's a tablet computer with huge media capabilities.

In the audience of the keynote address was Bob Iger, and that got me wondering, is there a deal with Disney and the iPad? If so, will it deal with D23?

I can see the iPad being a great way for magazine subscriptions to come and what if D23 has something up their sleeves to deliver interactive magazine content on the iPad? For example, the magazine itself (not the concept im thinking of, but the one out to the public) has great photographs, but what if through a digital medium like the iPad, they can produce it to an even greater extent and having the magazine offered digitally where it gets complimented by video and audio commentary. For example, they often have pictures from events, but waht if they expand that to have video clips of the events people have. I think it'd be cool. Sure, one thing comes to play and its cost, but to have it as an option or alternative to the physical magazines, doing things digitally can save them some money.

What do you guys think?

Re: Apple iPad and D23

I think the iPad would be too limiting. They could do the same thing and distribute a digital copy of the magazine with video and audio through standard email. Many magazines have digital versions currently, although I haven't seen audio and video but that wouldn't be difficult.

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

Iger was most likely in the audience because Jobs is the largest single stockholder in Disney. If they didn't mention anything else while they were both in the same room, then I wouldn't read anything else into it.

• Not a Minion

Quote Originally Posted by OCBear View Post
    I think the iPad would be too limiting. They could do the same thing and distribute a digital copy of the magazine with video and audio through standard email. Many magazines have digital versions currently, although I haven't seen audio and video but that wouldn't be difficult.
    I just think that with the unique interfacing with the user, I think the device has some unique possibilities for magazines. That's just my thought.

Similar to this concept by Living Magazine: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WeaC5QDUpg]YouTube - Living Magazine Cover and Spread - Outside Magazine[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by SnorkletsMom View Post
    Iger was most likely in the audience because Jobs is the largest single stockholder in Disney. If they didn't mention anything else while they were both in the same room, then I wouldn't read anything else into it.
    I'm not saying his presence had something to do with a partnership, but just saying that learning about his presence there lead to some ideas that Disney may take advantage of with the iPad, especially with D23.

Of course, it's just a thought and the only reason why I bring it up is to get other's opinions and if it happens to be a good one, D23 will read about it and can implement it into their future plans for further growth. If not, then just scrap it.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

I'd expect Apple to play a much larger role in Disney's computer systems in the future. For example, you know those surveys that you randomly are asked to participate in when you visit the parks? I have a gut feeling we'll see those being asked by a Cast Member who will be recording your responses via an iPad. Maybe Apple's PoS will show up in the parks as well.
    -Bill