Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Not a Minion

My take on the D23 Studio Tour - Feb 2010

I finally got my chance at the tour today and had a great time. Here's my take of it with nearly 150 photos from the day

Ryan-Philipp Valle : Blog A Visit to Walt Disney Studios

Enjoy!

EDIT: Figured out how to get to link pictures from my blog to view them here, so here are a few snap shot selections from the blog:

For the full report, just read up on the link above
    Last edited by ryanvalle; 02-14-2010 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Fixed an issue where I couldn't externally link some of my photos...it's fixed now, so added a few here so people don't have to click right away...

• Banned User

Re: My take on the D23 Studio Tour - Feb 2010

wonderful report! Thank you!

• Nerd

Very nice. Best overall description of the tour I have seen. I am anticipating touring the Studios soon.
    Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
    Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

• Not a Minion

Thanks! I hope I didn't spoil it too much for you haha.

Anyways, here's a tip for you (along with anyone else planning to take the next tour): Go in with questions and ask them (when appropriate of course) because it makes the tour much more fun

• Not a Minion

Oh, and one more note which I didn't mention which may be useful for future visitors:

Don't bother with a video camera. Since it's a union lot, they can't allow for video recording during the tour. Taking pictures during the tour with a video camera, if your camera lets you do so, is fine.

That is an incredible report. I bow to your completeness. I was on the 10a tour and report about it here with the rest coming on Thursday. All in all, I thought it was a nice tour, well run, and really like hearing from Dave Smith. Even one a prize with his trivia question! Great report and a nice review for anybody who has not had a chance to take this tour.

Sam
    SamLand's Disney Adventures

• Not a Minion

Thanks. I wished I spent more time looking at the displays in the archives. I was busy waiting for my turn with the Academy Award that I didn't get much time to look at everything haha.

But yeah, the prizes he was giving out was a neat surprise. Did not expect that, but unfortunately, I did not win - questions were too difficult for me lol. I consider myself more of a Disneyland geek over a Disney geek, but I took the tour because I look forward to working in the entertainment industry, either in video post production or web design/development, hopefully working with the Walt Disney Company (largest employer in the san fernando valley, so I have my hopes up). I figured, getting to know the studio would be beneficial to an interview if I were to ever get a chance to do one lol.

Anyways, I took a look at your report, and it just makes me realized how little I actually saw within the Archives room.

• Cars Land Rocks!

Great report. I used to have access to the lot for many years, but never spent too much time looking around. A guided tour to learn the history like that would be really enjoyable. Thanks for sharing.

Good luck with your future plans.

What really struck me was the original bird that Walt and Lillian got while in New Orleans. This was the thing that got Walt thinking about audio-animatronics. I have never seen the little heads that were part of the first generation of the technology. The ones of Ward Kimball and Buddy Ebsen were incredible. I like how the model next to them showed how the jaw mechanism was going to work.

• Not a Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mousecat View Post
    Good luck with your future plans.

What really struck me was the original bird that Walt and Lillian got while in New Orleans. This was the thing that got Walt thinking about audio-animatronics. I have never seen the little heads that were part of the first generation of the technology. The ones of Ward Kimball and Buddy Ebsen were incredible. I like how the model next to them showed how the jaw mechanism was going to work.
    Slap me silly! I didn't even catch that! Shame on me!

Now i can't wait till I make my way on the lot once again

I want to join. I'd love to go with my mom to the next D-23 expo. Was the first one hard to get tickets for? Thanks.

• Not a Minion

Quote Originally Posted by casey-eo View Post
    I want to join. I'd love to go with my mom to the next D-23 expo. Was the first one hard to get tickets for? Thanks.
    D23 membership is not required to attend the expo - just the other various events. Membership, however, gets you discounts to the expo and early admission into the expo itself.

The expo, as far as I know, did not sell out last year so I doubt getting tickets were hard to get. Due to scheduling conflicts with school, I did not get a chance to attend last year's expo, but I hope such a situation won't happen again this year.

Thanks for the great pictures. I'm also a member of D23, it was a Christmas present from my girlfriend, I can't attend any D23 events, because I live in Europe.
    We are planning a trip to California for 2011, so do you know if it is possible to visit the Disney Studios in Burbank? Are they doing any visitor tours?

Smile Re: My take on the D23 Studio Tour - Feb 2010

Quote Originally Posted by ryanvalle View Post
    D23 membership is not required to attend the expo - just the other various events. Membership, however, gets you discounts to the expo and early admission into the expo itself.

The expo, as far as I know, did not sell out last year so I doubt getting tickets were hard to get. Due to scheduling conflicts with school, I did not get a chance to attend last year's expo, but I hope such a situation won't happen again this year.
    Thanks Ryanvalle!!

Appreciate the help.

•   
    • Senior Minion

Great report!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast