Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

No 2010 D23 Expo!

Just read this in the LA Times:

D23 celebrates first anniversary at Disneyland on March 10 -- but no expo this year | Hero Complex | Los Angeles Times

There are plenty of birthdays celebrated at Disneyland and a good number of them are for 1-year-olds enjoying their first cake-and-candles experience. On March 10, though, the youngster celebrating one year of life will be D23, the Disney fan community that shares its name with the D23 Expo that was staged so memorably in September in Anaheim. More on the party in a moment; first, a bit on that expo: The inaugural convention (a sort of Comic-Con but just for Disney and its films, theme parks, television shows, collectibles etc.) started off slow last September, and I know some folks at Disney weren't thrilled when I wrote about the small opening-day crowds. But by the end of the weekend, I was among the many people who felt the event had really turned a corner. There were some major surprises and some wonderful memories, and I remember thinking that the 2010 edition would be far more impressive considering the Disney purchase of Marvel Entertainment -- how great would it be to see presentations on the upcoming "Thor" and "Captain America" movies on the same bill as "Pirates of the Caribbean 4" and "Tron"?
    But as it turns out, that won't be happening. At least not this year. The Disney plan, as of now, is to stage the D23 Expo as a biennial event, which means we'll have to wait until 2011 to see the second edition. I'm not sure when this decision was made or how the expo was viewed in the new regime at Disney, but I'll try to find out.
    -- Geoff Boucher
    What a bummer. I didn't get to go last year so I was thinking this year I'd get to go... Ah well...
    Last edited by NeverNeverland; 03-02-2010 at 03:39 PM. Reason: article trimmed for copyright.

• Not a Minion

Re: No 2010 D23 Expo!

I guess this is confirmation of it all and means that I should stop being optimistic about being hopeful of a 2010 event

• Minion

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

I consider this to be positive news, the Expo last year was four days of suprises and fun. But at the same time it was let down by a sheer lack of organisation. Taking a year out will hopely give everyone extra time to look at what did and didn't work. I also think its a plus for people who may not be in a position or wish to visit the State of California each year. After all the D23 Expo is a gathering of Disney fans from around the World.
    Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

• The Study of Wumbo

Hey - that means that there will be all that many more surprises and magic in 2011.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

• Refugee from a island

Well, I guess I can put my rumors post in the other D23 Events thread in the confirmed column.

Damn, I was looking forward to the Expo this year.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

MiceChat knew before the Los Angeles Times:

January 15, 2010
    I was told by Tim Rogerson, Noah and Harrison Ellenshaw at a Disney Fine Art event last month that there would be no expo this year, so no need for firm deadlines on specific pieces from them or personal appearances, but probably would return next year.
    D23 announces 2010 special events schedule
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Minion

No surprises here... I think this is part of a push to bring ComicCon to Anaheim...
    Check out my other blog:

Its time for me to renew and I am really questioning if I should renew or not. The expo and Disneyland events were a highlight of the first year of D23. Now it seems they are cutting back on events in Anaheim. Only 1 event at Disneyland this year compared to 4 at Walt Disney World? Last year there were at least 2 events at Disneyland and the Expo. I wonder why they went from 3 events in Anaheim down to one and yet Disney World is still running a lot of events.

I also think this is positive news. No one at Disney EVER said there would be an Expo every year.

The Expo shouldn't be the primary reason to renew or not renew, since it's open to the public. Here are my reasons for renewing:

* The magazine. Yeah, it's been well discussed whether it's "worth" the cost, and on a practical level it DOES justify the full price. I look at it ALL the time, much to my surprise. The writing is good, the photos terrific. The layout needs a lot of work, and sometimes it leans toward promotional puffery, but there's a lot of terrific stuff in there that you just don't find anywhere else. "New" news? No. But new insight, new photos, new material that I've either never seen or never seen presented quite this way. I love it. A lot. And I would honestly miss it. It's worth a premium, and indeed I am collecting them just as they said I would.

* Local events. If you're outside of CA or FL or don't go there much, I can see some questions about renewing. (But, then, see my argument above.) But for those who ARE within driving distance, one or two events a year, even at the additional cost, is worth it. I'm going to the Archives event in April and really looking forward to it. I've been to the lot many times, but not on an official tour, and I get to meet with other Disney fans, so it's a plus. And I'm going to the Disneyland party, which I think sounds awesome, even taking into account all criticisms. Undecided about the screenings, but I missed out on "Toby" tickets anyway. These events absolutely, positively are "worth it" to me.

* Benefits. I actually used my D23 card on a Downtown Disney trip recently, and it saved me about 10 bucks. Not a lot, but if I go three times a year and use it at the merchants, that's $30 savings. Plus the magazine. Plus exclusive events. This is starting to make a lot of sense now to me.

* Community. Really. Truly. No, Disney doesn't offer message boards, comments and forums, something I don't understand. But I read MiceChat frequently, and say what you will, but those of us in D23 DO now have something more in common.

* Free gifts. I love receiving freebies with the magazine. Even if they only sent one or two a year, where else can I get these and feel like they're "free"? The calendar sits proudly in my kitchen and I look at it every day. I love it!

Is D23 worth it? YOU BET, for me at least. I can see LOTS of room for improvement, but it beats the heck out of the old Disney Club, it's even better than the MKC if you ask me, and since I never collected figurines, it makes more sense than the WDCC. And it's about, oh, $14,000 cheaper than buying into the DVC.

Yes, actually, I unabashedly love D23.

Oh, and I see it as a positive because, really, how much new is there even at Disney every year? I went to Comic-Con two years in a row and felt it was the SAME DANG THING the second time I went. I don't like to stand on line for hours to see panels, so the show floor is my main draw. If they're waiting a year, then that means I have that much more to see that's new to me -- the Hawaii Resort, Disneyland in Shanghai, new attractions, etc. Doing it every year would quickly become boring, in my view.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

In just one year, Disney just wouldn't have as many new things to promote, as they did during the 1st years convention. Better to wait until 2011, to have more things to talk about.

Well thats good news for my wallet at least. I hope they will have a booth at comic con this year since I missed Comic Con last year and missed out on the litho!

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    In just one year, Disney just wouldn't have as many new things to promote, as they did during the 1st years convention. Better to wait until 2011, to have more things to talk about.
    The Walt Disney Company is a HUGE company that is always working on MANY projects! There are so many projects being done in the parks they could give more information on. Both Disneyland and Disney World. Also, lets not forget the Disney Dream will be joining the Disney Cruise Line fleet in Jan of next year. Too bad they can't share anything at an expo this year. Last year, all they did was announce the statue in the atrium because no other details were announced yet.

Im sure the decision is all based on $$$ and not based on available content.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHost View Post
    Im sure the decision is all based on $$$ and not based on available content.
    When many projects you work on are multi-year projects... the funnel is a lot smaller then one would assume. You wouldn't want to have three years of 'carsland' stuff over and over would you? Much of the awe of the show is because you get access to stuff you haven't seen. Once you've seen it, it has less impact.

The more you put on shows, the more you stress your ability to have those things with impact. Disney would want to showcase NEW stuff. Sure going into the archives would feed a show for years - but that's not really pumping the new stuff.

While the company as a whole puts out tons of stuff.. you don't want a show just everything the company has done.. you want the cream of the crop. That's not stuff that comes out every 3 months.

If you want to run a expo ever year, you really have a small window to pick from. Your plans must be set months in advance... even further narrowing the stuff you can pick from.

Running a show yearly wouldn't be a good thing at this time... you have to keep things exclusive a bit and be sure you have great stuff to pull in the crowds. Running it biannually also still gives other fan clubs space to exist.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Distant Disneylandaholic

I'm relieved, honestly, in a way. I really had a great time at the Expo last year and would want to go again. People above basically covered the reasons I'm relieved. I'll look forward to it in 2011. Shouldn't Little Mermaid be open in DCA by then? I'm really excited to see that ride and it would give me another reason to hit the Expo Looks like one temptation to spend money on a trip to CA has been removed, at least for htis year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast