D23: Why I'm Renewing

I did post this earlier in the string about "No 2010 Expo," and for those of you who hate seeing posts in different places, I apologize -- I don't know how to "merge." But the more I thought about what I wrote, the more I wanted to share it with more people, hope you don't mind.

The question was raised about whether a member should renew D23 membership, and I feel very strongly that it's something I'm HAPPY to be part of. Here are my reasons:

* The magazine. Yeah, it's been well discussed whether it's "worth" the cost, and on a practical level it DOES justify the full price. I look at it ALL the time, much to my surprise. The writing is good, the photos terrific. The layout needs a lot of work, and sometimes it leans toward promotional puffery, but there's a lot of terrific stuff in there that you just don't find anywhere else. "New" news? No. But new insight, new photos, new material that I've either never seen or never seen presented quite this way. I love it. A lot. And I would honestly miss it. It's worth a premium, and indeed I am collecting them just as they said I would.

* Local events. If you're outside of CA or FL or don't go there much, I can see some questions about renewing. (But, then, see my argument above.) But for those who ARE within driving distance, one or two events a year, even at the additional cost, is worth it. I'm going to the Archives event in April and really looking forward to it. I've been to the lot many times, but not on an official tour, and I get to meet with other Disney fans, so it's a plus. And I'm going to the Disneyland party, which I think sounds awesome, even taking into account all criticisms. Undecided about the screenings, but I missed out on "Toby" tickets anyway. These events absolutely, positively are "worth it" to me.

* Benefits. I actually used my D23 card on a Downtown Disney trip recently, and it saved me about 10 bucks. Not a lot, but if I go three times a year and use it at the merchants, that's $30 savings. Plus the magazine. Plus exclusive events. This is starting to make a lot of sense now to me.

* Community. Really. Truly. No, Disney doesn't offer message boards, comments and forums, something I don't understand. But I read MiceChat frequently, and say what you will, but those of us in D23 DO now have something more in common.

* Free gifts. I love receiving freebies with the magazine. Even if they only sent one or two a year, where else can I get these and feel like they're "free"? The calendar sits proudly in my kitchen and I look at it every day. I love it!

Is D23 worth it? YOU BET, for me at least. I can see LOTS of room for improvement, but it beats the heck out of the old Disney Club, it's even better than the MKC if you ask me, and since I never collected figurines, it makes more sense than the WDCC. And it's about, oh, $14,000 cheaper than buying into the DVC.

• Not a Minion

Re: D23: Why I'm Renewing

Couldn't agree more. I was a day 1 member and renewed early to never miss a beat of D23 excitement. I was able to attend 2 free events and 2 paid events, both of which I think really were unique, one-of-a-kind experience that only Disney could provide.

I'd provide more insight of my own, but really, I think you covered everything.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

I made the mistake in renewing and I'm already regreting it. I probarely renewed it a month back now and have yet to recieve a single item.

• Disney Trivia God

For me, it all comes down to value. Was the price worth it to you? If yes, then the value was there. I renewed my membership right out of the chute, as soon as it was offered. Yes, I don't get to attend a majority of the events, but for me the magazines, the freebies, and the community (as EC82 mentioned above) make it worth it to me.

Do I wish there was more? You bet - who wouldn't? But that's just being greedy. As it stands now, I feel that I'm getting my money's worth, regardless.

• Refugee from a island

I'll stand with the majority here and say the joining and renewing my D23 membership was very much worth it too me. While I haven't had the opportunity to do the Studio tour yet, the look on my future imagineers face when we walk on the lot for the Princess and the Frog event was worth every penny.

I don't regret renewing. But I would like to know why it takes so long to ship the renewal, I ordered on 2/12/10 and haven't received anything yet either.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by OCBear View Post
    I don't regret renewing. But I would like to know why it takes so long to ship the renewal, I ordered on 2/12/10 and haven't received anything yet either.
    I ordered on the 02/02/10 and recieved something from them today. It was a postcard reminding me to renew my Membership, which has already been renewed.

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    I made the mistake in renewing and I'm already regreting it. I probarely renewed it a month back now and have yet to recieve a single item.
    Just wondering if anyone pays attention to the fine print when they order things. This is what the renewal shipping information says:

"Express shipping not available for this item. Your Renewal Membership Card will arrive within 10-12 business days after the end of the month. The rest of your Renewal Membership Packet will arrive within 3-4 weeks after the end of the month."

I would guess that renewals are all batched and processed at the end of the month. So if you renew in Feb, your renewal is not processed until the end of Feb. There are actually a lot of membership/subscription services that operate this way.

Quote Originally Posted by d23nut View Post
    Just wondering if anyone pays attention to the fine print when they order things. This is what the renewal shipping information says:

"Express shipping not available for this item. Your Renewal Membership Card will arrive within 10-12 business days after the end of the month. The rest of your Renewal Membership Packet will arrive within 3-4 weeks after the end of the month."

I would guess that renewals are all batched and processed at the end of the month. So if you renew in Feb, your renewal is not processed until the end of Feb. There are actually a lot of membership/subscription services that operate this way.

OK, that answered my question I guess. I renewed the 1st week of Feb and have not received anything and my credit card still hasn't been charged. Only concern is, will they accept my original membership card the night of the anniversay party at Disneyland or will it be considered expired? I'm having major doubts my membership card will arrive by next Wed!!

First year membership is through 03/31/2010, so we shouldn't have a problem at the party next week.

• For a new Gotham!

I live right near Walt Disney World and am SORELY disappointed at what D23 has had to offer there. A couple special IllumiNations viewings? Nice, but available without the membership. Magic and Merriment? Sounds great if you can drop $200, then be at the phone as soon as reservations open up.

I love the idea of exclusivity, and I agree with you on the community aspect of it. But I don't want to pay $80 a year for that alone. I wasn't hoping for an east coast D23 convention, but maybe like some special screenings in the Main Street Cinema or small monthly tours or something.

Now, I do love the magazine, and so far that's the only thing about D23 that I really enjoy. But I will be buying that by the issue this year. As a huge Disney fan it really pains me that I'm not a part of their official fan club. But it's not worth it for me to join JUST to say that I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post
    Now, I do love the magazine, and so far that's the only thing about D23 that I really enjoy. But I will be buying that by the issue this year. As a huge Disney fan it really pains me that I'm not a part of their official fan club. But it's not worth it for me to join JUST to say that I am.

So, you'll pay $64 (plus tax) for individual issues of the magazine, but won't pay an additional $16 to receive the special gifts that come with them, or even the OPPORTUNITY to participate in member events that take place down the street from you?

$200 may seem pricey, but when you consider that the events come with food (a full meal at WDW, from what I understand), a gift and exclusive access to things you otherwise would not normally get, it seems reasonable, especially given the cost of a normal admission. I live in the L.A. area and, as a comparison, recently paid $30 to get a "golf card," which allows me priority tee times at municipal courses. That doesn't mean I get free golf, and I get no "goodies" with it, but I'm paying for the access.

Oh, and in case you're not aware, D23 also offers special discounts for Downtown Disney merchants, and others, so if you factor that advantage in, it's way more than the 16 extra bucks.

It feels like some people are standing on a principle I don't really understand. I'd love to see the free MKC brought back, but that's obviously never going to happen. (And Disney News was always an extra charge anyway, which would probably be $25-$30 in today's valuation.) So, barring that, D23 is one of the better values Disney has to offer.

(Way better than the $700 "premium" pass. Have you done the math on that?!)

• You have much to learn...

Of course I renewed, but am now resenting it as well- since I too am waiting well over a month so far to receive anything & keep eyeing the magazine at Barnes & Noble every day when I go to break for my coffee. But I don't want to shell out another $16 so I can read the issue now.

If D23 can rush an issue to a retail store, or even the parks- why can't they get me my issue since I renewed at the beginning of February?? Or any other member for that matter??

Now I just had my order processed a day or two ago and was told I may have to wait another 3-4 weeks for my issue to arrive after sending 2 emails regarding this.

Is this acceptable behavior for the Disney Company? I think not.

Members should get their issues on a timely basis and not have to have their magazines shipped out to them after they hit newsstands.

• Hukuna Matata!

I will be renewing this year, I didnt get to go to any D23 Events, but I still have my faith in D23, and like you said the magazine is worth it. I wished I would of gone to the 1st anniversary event last night, it looked like a blast.