Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Destination D 2010 & D23 EXPO 2011 Announced

Quote Originally Posted by nunz View Post
    u h o h
    maybe a high price ticket?
    Can you see them linking the tickets with a Disneyland Hotel stay?
    Mike L
    Premier Annual Passport
    D23 Charter Member

'09 - D23 Expo, Princess & the Frog preview, Magic & Merriment Weekend
    '10 - 1st Anniversary Party, Roy Disney Tribute, Pollyanna screening, Toy Story Marathon, Disney Archives 40th Anniversary, Dateline Disneyland 1955, Secretariat preview, Destination D, Zorro screening, Tangled preview
    '11 - Love is Magical, 2nd Anniversary Mixer, Absent Minded Professor screening, Destination D, Studio Tour, Sci-Fi Academy, D23 Expo (premier), Babes in Toyland screening, Magic & Merriment Weekend
    '12 - Newsies screening, Journey to Marceline tour, Sister Act screening, Brave preview, Brave artists meet/greet/screening, Treasures Exhibit - Reagan Library preview, Timothy Green premiere, Destination D (diamond), Treasure Island screening, Magic & Merriment Weekend
    '13 - El Capitan Peter Pan Panel & Screening, Disney Video Game Unveiling, Fanniversary, OZ preview, Son of Flubber screening, Summer Magic screening, Tiki Room 50th anniversary, D23 Expo (sorcerer), Sword in the Stone screening, Hocus Pocus screening, Frozen preview, 20,000 Leagues screening
    '14 - Pirate Fairy screening, Rebel Rendezvous, Three Musketeers screening, Mr. Toad screening, Snow White screening, Big Hero 6 preview, Little Mermaid screening, Destination D

• Your Average Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. G View Post
    1. Only 1,500 people for Destination D? And they had "nearly 40,000 fans" at the Expo last year? Sounds like they are setting this up for a lot of disppointed people not being able to attend.

2. Tickets for Destination D go on sale in early summer. I guess that is rather far in advance, but for those of us out-of-state perhaps not enough time to get the good hotel deals. There is no way I'd book airfare until I knew I had a ticket to get in at Destination D. I guess we could lock up a hotel soon just in case.
    That's my question too - is it too early to book a hotel room? I would hate to book a room and not get into the event.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

No, I was hoping D23 would be this year too....ohh man now I have to wait another year.

• Not a Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. G View Post
    While this is great news, it also concerns me in a few ways:

1. Only 1,500 people for Destination D? And they had "nearly 40,000 fans" at the Expo last year? Sounds like they are setting this up for a lot of disppointed people not being able to attend.

3. Seems to be mainly geared toward So Cal locals, which I suppose is understandable.
    I see why they set the limit to 1500 people. The expo was open to the public and this event will not be. If it's just 1500 members, no guests, I think that's enough seats, especially if they put a price tag on it.

On the other hand, I think that if they will permit each guest to bring a guest or two along, then there may be an issue and bumping it to somewhere around 2000 or even 2500 may be more feasible. Of course, there are other limitations as the venue size and what not.

As of most of the past D23 events, this is definitely geared towards SoCal people. It falls on a week where people have school and work. Even though it's a Friday and Saturday, I'm quite sure it'd be troublesome for people, epsecially those with kids, to take a few days off work to travel down to SoCal and attend this event (though I'm sure there will be a few).

I do like the idea of making events available for purchase on a DVD set. It's definitely possible and depending as to how many people would like to attend but cant, they could also see a profit from doing this.

My question is, which I'm sure will be answered when they announce more details, is if the event would be priced as a single two day event or if people can attend on one day or the other at a discounted rate.

Also, I'm curious if the 1500 person limit is designed in a way so each member would be able to attend ALL of what the event has to offer.

• Disney Trivia God

Quote Originally Posted by ryanvalle View Post
    IAlso, I'm curious if the 1500 person limit is designed in a way so each member would be able to attend ALL of what the event has to offer.
    The Disneyland Hotel's Grand Ballroom holds a max of 1,650 guests. Add in the CMs, guest speakers, execs, VIPs, and a certain 5-foot tall mouse, that should just about do it.

so..guesses to what would be a reasonable (or possible)purchase price and what you'd be prepared to spend? They really need to release when tickets will go on sale, and the sooner the better for those that need to make travel plans.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    This finally convinced me to join D23.
    Wait, I belong to D23 before you? There's something wrong with that, old friend.

Destination D is the weekend of my husband's birthday---thinking it's time to head out west for this event. Will they let you take guests? And if not, who wants to sit with me during the presentations? HA!

peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• My turn

Now I wish I was a member for Destination D. I just hope I’ll still be down here for the Expo. I promised myself I would go on all the days at the next Expo because I couldn’t last year; guess I’ll just have to wait another year.

Since the announcement though, on this other Disney thread I’m on a lot of the people have constantly complained since the first Expo that the it should’ve and should be held in Florida from now on because their park is bigger, they get more visitors and tourists, their convention center is bigger so they could hold more people and events, (one person joked the Expo would be better because there would be room for rides), etc.. Granted, most of them are Florida residents but a few are CA ones that actually went to last year’s Expo, and they are hoping that the Anaheim location was a “experiment” to see how well it would go so that it will move and stay in Florida.
    Then there were a few that said the Expo should alternate between Anaheim and Orlando to give people on each coast equal chances to attend.

What do you guys think about these? Now I’m not sure where I stand on the alternating locations idea, but for permanently putting it in Florida I’m the only one on there that disagrees with that idea, and not just because it would be easier for me if it stayed in Anaheim. But, and do correct me if I get details wrong, SoCal is appropriate because it's the birthplace of the studios, where they became a success, and Anaheim is home to the original Disney theme park, the one that "started it all", all of which Florida would’ve never gotten if all had failed.

• Having a Grand Day!

Quote Originally Posted by Choc View Post
    Now I wish I was a member for Destination D. I just hope I’ll still be down here for the Expo. I promised myself I would go on all the days at the next Expo because I couldn’t last year; guess I’ll just have to wait another year.

Since the announcement though, on this other Disney thread I’m on a lot of the people have constantly complained since the first Expo that the it should’ve and should be held in Florida from now on because their park is bigger, they get more visitors and tourists, their convention center is bigger so they could hold more people and events, (one person joked the Expo would be better because there would be room for rides), etc.. Granted, most of them are Florida residents but a few are CA ones that actually went to last year’s Expo, and they are hoping that the Anaheim location was a “experiment” to see how well it would go so that it will move and stay in Florida.
    Then there were a few that said the Expo should alternate between Anaheim and Orlando to give people on each coast equal chances to attend.

What do you guys think about these? Now I’m not sure where I stand on the alternating locations idea, but for permanently putting it in Florida I’m the only one on there that disagrees with that idea, and not just because it would be easier for me if it stayed in Anaheim. But, and do correct me if I get details wrong, SoCal is appropriate because it's the birthplace of the studios, where they became a success, and Anaheim is home to the original Disney theme park, the one that "started it all", all of which Florida would’ve never gotten if all had failed.
    Or, more simply... Where are D23 management located? California. Where are your talent located? California. Where are your exhibitors located? California. Where are your archives located? California? Where is your guaranteed base of rabid Annual Passholders located? California.

Imagine how much it would cost to fly everything over. Then imagine how hard it would be to convince the talent? Things like Dick Sherman's surprise appearance would never happen if he had to make a complete weekend out of it.

• You have much to learn...

Since the mention of possible hotel/room packages- I'm wondering if they will do this like they used to do for some of the older events where they offered different tier packages with rooms included in the higher priced ones like the older Mansion and other events that Disney Event Services used to offer.

Does anyone know if any of the D23 events are organized by the Walt Disney Event Services group in WDW, or do they have their own group within D23 that organize these?

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

I think that it should alternate each year or every 3 years. There are Disney legends who live in FLA nad there are Disney artifacts in WDW. Seriously. And it WOULD make it easier for more people to go. Having it in the summer is a good start!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

Quote Originally Posted by Choc View Post
    There are several factors for keeping the Expo in California, for now at least. None of the convention centers on property in Florida are large enough on their own to hold all the presentations. You could combine the four that are there, and have more then enough room, but then you have the logistics of where to hold each, and getting from one place to another using the Disney transportation. They would be overwhelmed. If you use the Orlando Convention Center, it is a distance from the property, and getting folks back and forth is once again, a logistical nightmare. A lot of the artifacts that would be displayed would need to be shipped out and could take considerably more damage going cross country rather then cross town. One other item is, I believe almost all the D23 staff is based in California, so there would be the travel expenses and time away from their normal duties to go out there. Any of the Imagineers out on the floor that were working at the Expo, actually did it on their free time. The company did not pay them. It was for the love of what they do.
    They have hinted that it could come out to WDW, but it would be a few years down the road, and there would have to be a ton of planning to do.
    I look forward to when they bring it out there. Just another reason to make the trip!
    Jaxum- Disneyland Aficionado!
    Disneyland, WDW, and DLPR Annual Passholder
    D23 1st Day Charter Member
    My Disneyland and WDW videos and photos!
    http://youtube.com/tkfore21 .... http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaxum_readis/sets/

Disney days for 2009:
    Disneyland:(27) / Tokyo Parks:(4) / WDW:(19)
    Total Days in the parks for 2009: 50!
    Disney days for 2010:
    Disneyland: (27) / WDW:(31) / DLRP: (6)
    Total Days so far in the parks for 2010: 63!
    D23 and Other events:
    Expo '09, Candlelight Spectacular '09, Magic and Merriment '09, D23 Anniversary DL/WDW, Studio Tour April '10, Disney Archives 40th Anniversary, Destination D: Disneyland 55, Disneyland Scavenger Hunt, Sip and Stroll '10, Tangled Screening, TRON Pop-up Shop, Magic & Merriment '10, Everest Challenge '09, Adventurer's Club Weekend '09, DL Candlelight '09, Gumball Rally '10, WDW Radio 24 Hour Live Show '10, Disneyland's 55th Anniversary, Pacific Northwest Mouse Meet '10, Mickey's Halloween 5k '10,WDW Radio Walkabout '10, ConGaloosh '10, DL Candlelight '10

• Your Average Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxum View Post
    Yep. Steven and Becky from D23 told me last night that there will 1500 seats, or guests, for 'Destination D'. Which will be 500 less then the 2000 who attended the party last night.
    On another (non-partner) website, Steven confirmed that about 1,500 tickets will be sold, and that something "special" is planned for Saturday night's "banquet."

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by cidbliq View Post
    The Disneyland Hotel's Grand Ballroom holds a max of 1,650 guests. Add in the CMs, guest speakers, execs, VIPs, and a certain 5-foot tall mouse, that should just about do it.
    According to the Disneyland Hotel site, it actually holds over 2,500 attendees. So the reason that there are 1,500 tickets probably has more to do with marketing or other contraints. See text from webpage below...

Disneyland Grand Ballroom

Providing a plush, versatile environment for banquets, receptions or large meetings, the elegant Grand Ballroom can accommodate over 2.500 attendees, which makes it the ideal setting for your formal and refined event. Providing a plush, versatile environment for banquets, receptions or large meetings, the elegant Disneyland Grand Ballroom can accommodate over 2,500 attendees.

:NEWS: Destination D

Anyone heard of this event?

D23 | The Official Community for Disney Fans

Disney is making us wait another year for the next D23 Expo. But, this also sounds like fun. Anyone plan on going?

I think I will, as long as I can visit the park on the trip.

~ Ghost Galaxy
    Last edited by Ghost Galaxy; 05-05-2010 at 09:05 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast