• We Want The Redhead

My own rising disappointment with D23...

Sure, it doesn't really matter, but at 75 bucks a pop I was hoping for a little less spam like marketing, and a bit more 'Walt' Disney.
    The latest FanFare that arrived in my e-mail with the Iron Man 2 theme may have been the last straw for me.
    Between cramming all that Pixar stuff into every available nook and cranny as well as 'exclusive' interviews with people I don't really care about, I am becoming more disenchanted with D23 with each passing issue.
    When D23 was first announced, I had hoped that this would be a 'club' far more focussed on the historic Disney and with that great first cover, with the legacy of Walt Disney and his own vision and imagination. Instead I find the magazine and the 'newsletters' to be used more and more as a simple marketing tool for whatever the next over-hyped release is, and this one I am paying for.
    I mean, Iron Man 2? I'm shelling out $75 a year to be spammed with Iron Man 2?
    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

Re: My own rising disappointment with D23...

If you feel finding out about the latest Disney has to offer is "spam" then you are right.

D23 balances Disney's past, present, and future.

Frankly, I think that's what makes being a Disney fan so cool. Like Walt, we get to celebrate the past while looking forward to the future.

FWIW, Iron Man 2 was awesome and features a new Sherman Bros song

• Refugee from a island

Sorry, but anyone that went into D23 thinking it was anything other than a Disney Corp marketing tool, is - well - mistaken. Personally, I joined D23 for just the reason stated. I want to know about the new stuff coming down the pipe.

If you are interested in the historic Walt Disney, may I recommend a trip to the Walt Disney Family Museum. If a trip to the museum is not possible, I'd suggest keeping an eye on the museum website. There is some interesting content there now, and as I understand it, they will be cycling into the website some of the great content developed by the Greene's for the virtual museum that existed before the establishment of the brick & mortar building.

• We Want The Redhead

Quote Originally Posted by Second Star View Post
    Sorry, but anyone that went into D23 thinking it was anything other than a Disney Corp marketing tool, is - well - mistaken. Personally, I joined D23 for just the reason stated. I want to know about the new stuff coming down the pipe.

If you are interested in the historic Walt Disney, may I recommend a trip to the Walt Disney Family Museum. If a trip to the museum is not possible, I'd suggest keeping an eye on the museum website. There is some interesting content there now, and as I understand it, they will be cycling into the website some of the great content developed by the Greene's for the virtual museum that existed before the establishment of the brick & mortar building.
    You're right on all counts. I was mistaken, and the Family Museum is a wonder.

• Refugee from a island

Quote Originally Posted by ttrocc7007 View Post
    You're right on all counts. I was mistaken, and the Family Museum is a wonder.
    While it doesn't sound like it, I do hope that you didn't take what I said personally, that was not my intention.

From your sig line it looks like you and I are about the same age, and I am very nostaligic at times about the Disney legacy. But, I also remind myself regularly that Walt himself was always looking for that next great thing, and I actually see that continuing today (albeit, questionably at times) within the company he built.

• We Want The Redhead

Quote Originally Posted by Second Star View Post
    While it doesn't sound like it, I do hope that you didn't take what I said personally, that was not my intention.

You're fine Second Star. I took no personal effront, and I honestly agree with you. I clearly misunderstood the intent of D23 to the point that I never expected to get Marvel themed movie ads in my e-mail. I should have realized that the company would exploit my 'membership' to the full extent it could. Sometimes I get a bit idealistic.
    Have a great weekend!

• Refugee from a island

I most certainly will, I'm actually in Burbank for a couple of D23 events.

You have a Great Weekend yourself.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

This was so sweet, you guys.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Refugee from a island

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    This was so sweet, you guys.
    Gee Thanks.

I don't normally set out to be offensive, but I do offend people often enough accidentally or incidentally. Just wanted to make sure.

As previously stated, D23 is about celebrating the rich history of the Disney company as well as looking toward the future and what will be offered.

If you think about it, the ENTIRE D23 Expo was one big marketing event, that heavily promoted every upcoming Disney film, TV show, park attraction, online gaming experience, consumer product, etc. It was all one big in your face marketing event. And I for one loved it! I really feel the point of D23 is to give us an insider's look into the company and how they create the magic and what magic is in store for us in the future. As well as celebrating the nostalgia and history of the company. Every issue of the magazine has great archival footage and photos of the company's past. The last issue's article about the history of the studios lot in Burbank was wonderful! And the summer issue has an article about Walt tracing his family hertiage. Definitely great nods to the past.

And isn't D23 run THROUGH the Walt Disney Archives? A part of the company that was specifically created to preserve and celebrate the history of the company? All the great free gifts we have gotten with our magazines that are replicas of past Disney items? The patches, the Valley Press, the Disneyland fan, the Christmas card Walt sent back in the day, ALL great reminders of our history.

They've provided a wonderful balance. I truly believe the Disney company as a whole is one of the few mega corporations who have pretty much stayed true to it's past and hertiage and honored Walt above all else. While at the same time evolving and changing for the future. But we never forget our roots, and I think D23 has done a great job of reminding us of this.

But I am sure everyone sees it differently!

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

I share some of your misgivings. I thought and hoped that D23 would be, at least in the majority, about Disney icons like the parks and films and historical pieces about who and how and where and why they came to be. The first magazine did indeed slant that way. Since then it has come to be more of a press release than anything else. I'd be fine if they threw in brochures about the latest thing along with each magazine mailing, but I wish they wouldn't concentrate so heavily on material that's already everywhere online.

I've given them another year's chance. The events have been good, at least the ones that I could afford to attend. (most of them are really overpriced) Tomorrow I'll be at both the WDI/Mickey's of Glendale event and the Studios' Pollyanna screening.