Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

• Some imagination, huh?

Re: D23 Scavenger Hunt - September 26th, 2010

Sandglider, I basically agree with everything you said. It was fun as an event, but totally not fun as a competitive event. If they had sold the book, I might as well have just bought it as something fun to do around the park because there was nothing then I couldn't have done on another day. What I mean to say is that I wish there was more to do at the event that would make it really a you-had-to-be-there sort of thing.

I have to agree with Sandglider that it was a lot of fun, but there needs to be changes made.

First off, contestants who started in DTD and the hotels had a distinct advantage because they could start hunting for clues a lot sooner than the other groups. Those of us who started at Disneyland had to wait until 9:00 to get into our area.

We did a quick calculation. I believe there were 20 5 point questions, and 10 10 point questions for a total of 200 points. This means even if the winning group had answered all of the 5 and 10 point questions, they still would have had to answer 120 1 point questions. With a total of 320 points, they would have had to tallied more than a point a minute for the entire 5 hours. This includes the time it took to walk to and from the hotel. Hmmm....

I'll admit that we used Google and Youtube to get some of our answers as I don't think there were any rules against using the internet. However, given some of the top scores, I have to believe some of the teams either did not stay together, and/or they received outside help. I'm not sure how you would go about preventing contestants from getting outside help, but they need to think of something before the two day hunt at WDW in the spring.

Okay, flame away...

• 3Ls:Law Lost & disneyLand

Quote Originally Posted by FCCA View Post
    I have to agree with Sandglider that it was a lot of fun, but there needs to be changes made.

First off, contestants who started in DTD and the hotels had a distinct advantage because they could start hunting for clues a lot sooner than the other groups. Those of us who started at Disneyland had to wait until 9:00 to get into our area.

We did a quick calculation. I believe there were 20 5 point questions, and 10 10 point questions for a total of 200 points. This means even if the winning group had answered all of the 5 and 10 point questions, they still would have had to answer 120 1 point questions. With a total of 320 points, they would have had to tallied more than a point a minute for the entire 5 hours. This includes the time it took to walk to and from the hotel. Hmmm....

I'll admit that we used Google and Youtube to get some of our answers as I don't think there were any rules against using the internet. However, given some of the top scores, I have to believe some of the teams either did not stay together, and/or they received outside help. I'm not sure how you would go about preventing contestants from getting outside help, but they need to think of something before the two day hunt at WDW in the spring.

Okay, flame away...
    Do you remember how many points it took to get into the top 10? We didn't stay, but wanted to know if we where anywhere close to placing (most likely not).

I should probably clarify a couple points I made in the earlier post...

I did say that it seemed as though there were not enough spotters, but for all I know there were plenty that were incognito...I should say that I didn't see many white shirts. And it is totally possible that several people did get disqualified, I'll just have to wait to see the final results.

I also said I knew I wasn't going to win playing legit. I should clarify that I wasn't looking to win, I should have said I felt that we wouldn't do well with the deck stacked against us. Not that you couldn't do well and win playing legit, just that a race isn't fun when a handful of people take a "head start." Again, not only my observation, this was expressed by all the groups I talked to.

As far as using the internet, I guess it doesn't specifically state that you can't use the internet (it just says "no cheating", whatever that means), but my view was that it isn't in the spirit of a scavenger hunt. The rules also don't say that you are not allowed to take cuts in line, but I assume that would fall into the cheating category. As I see it, you are actually supposed to go to these locations and find the answers, so using the internet is essentially "splitting up" your team to perform different tasks. If I had known, I guess I would have just sat in the air conditioned bar for 5 hours with 4 laptops and could have easily received more points than we actually did. In regards to the phone usage for taking pictures, I completely understand that & I don't think that is a big deal, it's just the internet searching for the clues that bugged me.

Anyway, I did want to give a big congrats to SilentDante for getting a big second place finish in a field of 1000+ competitors...Great job!!!

Also to niklj, I thought the same thing about the book. Great clues and I would have definitely bought this to do on my own (I did buy the hidden mickey book too). In fact, I plan to go back and chase down some of these clues in the future.

• Some imagination, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by sandglider
    Anyway, I did want to give a big congrats to SilentDante for getting a big second place finish in a field of 1000+ competitors...Great job!!!
    Ditto to that! Congratulations and great team name!

Sandglider, I understand why you have a problem with contestants using the internet. Like I noted earlier, we used it to help us answer some of the questions. However in our view, the internet was a tool which we were allowed to use to gather answers. In preparation for the event, we brought along maps, a camera, a flashlight and a pair of binoculars. These too could be considered tools which could be used to gather answers.

We used the internet to find things in the park. For example, Lafitte's Anchor. We had no idea where that thing was, even though our family must have pasted it a hundred times in all our visits to DL. Even though we were able to find on the internet, it still didn't give us any answers. We stilled needed to go to that location to get the answer.

mkm1998, I believe the top ten finishers all had > 260 points.

• Dapper Dan-nabe

I have no idea how we got as many points as we did. When they started announcing the top 10, I figured we had maybe just missed that level. I never would have suspected we got 301 (which is what we were told we had).

Also, the people with yellow cards were held in the ballroom until 9am, when word came over from walkie talkies that the other groups were in place. Unless you're saying that we could answer things we already knew (there were maybe 3 or 4 1-point questions that I could get without at least confirming them visually, so this wasn't a huge advantage for us, either way).
    -SilentDante
    eliselzer.blogspot.com

We were in the Red area, which was right in front of the AMC/ESPN Zone/Rainforest Cafe...which meant that people were already answering questions that you could see from that spot even before it had officially begun. Obviously not a huge advantage vs. yellow because you took 2nd place, but still not a level playing field.

I think Lafitte's Anchor used to be located in Frontierland near Mark Twain & Big Thunder many years ago (at least 20-25 years ago, I have a favorite family picture in front of it). I'm not sure when they moved it to its current location, but I found that just about a month ago and was surprised to see that they kept it...kinda cool to see something reappear from your childhood.

• 10 Year Annual Passholder

I had a great time yesterday at the event It was definitely worth the cost.
    The only "bad question" in my opinion was the five-pointer that required the cost of a La Brea bread bowl. The menu only listed a bread bowl with clam chowder or soup, not plain. After asking one of the employees, we got the response $5.00, but I have a feeling that isn't what they were looking for. Anyone know for sure?

^Art by me!^
    Check out my
    Flickr page for a selection of my Disneyland Resort photography (and more)! {new photos 9.1.14}
    You can purchase a selection of my photos as well as clothing and stickers designed by me at my RedBubble page.
    Visit my
    Tumblr blog for another way to view and share my photos.
    Radiator Springs Racers ride count: 18

SilentDante, My apologies. We didn't realize the yellow group was kept in the hall until 9:00. BTW, congratulations! Answering all those questions was quite a feat, especially in that heat!

• Just another Disney fan..

After some "cooling off" time... here are some personal thoguhts.

I agree with a lot that has been said already. There was too much opportunity to circumvent the rules. I too saw and heard it going on. Outside help, splitting up, internet, phone calls, copying from other answer books, etc.

Questions were very fun but there wasn't enough time given IMO. If you actually wanted to enjoy some attractions, you had to give up any hope of doing well in the competition part of the hunt. Did not like the idea that you were made to feel penalized if you rode the attractions or actually TRIED to do the hunt without "help".

Not seeing many smiling faces at the end of the hunt was disappointing. I thought the reaction, or lack of one, by the crowd to the question "Did everyone have a good time?" was interesting. It wasn't a huge display of enjoyment or excitement. While the heat sucked the life out of most everyone, I think a large portion of the crowd was just beaten down and overwhelmed by the hunt. About 20% of the already thinned out crowd stood up and left once they said the results would be delayed. Would be interesting to see if the reaction and attitude of the crowd would have been much different if it weren't so hot.

I hope D23 can figure out a way to cut back on the cheating and level the playing field a little more. Most of all, I would hope that they at least could make it so that most everyone that participated felt like they at least had a chance to just "do well" and most of all, have a lot of fun doing so. I think this is where D23 failed with the DLR hunt. Most people realized right away they didn't have a chance in h$%# to even score decently, and if you didn't decide to just blow off the competition side of the hunt completly, it was difficult to just have fun.

JMO

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by SilentDante View Post
    I have no idea how we got as many points as we did. When they started announcing the top 10, I figured we had maybe just missed that level. I never would have suspected we got 301 (which is what we were told we had).

Also, the people with yellow cards were held in the ballroom until 9am, when word came over from walkie talkies that the other groups were in place. Unless you're saying that we could answer things we already knew (there were maybe 3 or 4 1-point questions that I could get without at least confirming them visually, so this wasn't a huge advantage for us, either way).

My team started in the red and I was kinda telling my group that I would rather be the team that was left behind. Since we were allowed to read the book already, I think I would have enjoyed the time to go through it at a table instead of walking into position.

To me, spending quality time with the book before answering anything would have helped a lot. And answering all the questions in the hotels would have been the smartest thing to do.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

We had no illusions of winning the hunt. We just wanted to go and have fun, and that's exactly what we did! We did wish there was more time, because we didn't even make it out of Disneyland where we started! The clues were fun and we just had a great time.

Blog Entries

We were in the yellow group and sat at a table with 2 other teams as we waited to start. As soon as they let us open the books, one other team started calling their friend at home who was on a computer and the other team was using the internet. We did another quick look at the rules as well as asked a castmember working the event if those were ok and they said yes. So, I do not think it was cheating at all. We did notice a lot of "older" people that were not using phones and I kind of felt bad for them. The cheating that did bother me was the number of teams that split up. We took it pretty literally to stay together and there were 4 of us.

I have done multiple Mouse Adventures, a Gumball Rally and even an event at Magic Mountain. I have won all 3 at least once and this was by far my least favorite. I would still do it again because I think the D23 events are well ran and fun but I didn't love the style. I really felt that if you had the time and energy you could easily do the entire hunt. I didn't really feel like there was a ton of strategy nor figuring out puzzles. I also feel like the die-hards definitely had an advantage.

I wasn't surprised that it took that long to tally the results, I know quite a few people had to make planes or work though and left. The awards ceremony part seemed kind of a letdown. I thought maybe it was because the heat and hunt had warned everyone out. There was just no energy.

All in all, we had a great time though I have not been that tired in a long time! I am totally going to try to make the WDW event!

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast