Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Re: D23 Scavenger Hunt - September 26th, 2010

We did the scavenger hunt yesterday. It was our first time doing one of these and while it was fun I have to agree with the previous posters who noted the many shortcomings of the event.

Aside from the heat it is had to isolate which issue was the most frustrating.
    The organization of clue book made it unnecessarily difficult to read.
    The fact that some groups had to walk across the resort while trying to read the book while other teams got to sit down in the ballroom and read the book (both before the official start time) made things a little lopsided.

There was really no reason to ride anything. Nearly all of the 5 & 10 point questions just required you to run from one area to the next writing down prices, addresses and 1st letter of this word or that. I understand that the park was crowded and having people ride attractions all day long would mean "wasting" alot of time in lines the alternative was that riding the attractions made it impossible to be competitive.

The cheating was unbelievable. I can accept that people were using their smart phones to search on-line, that is unavoidable and was not specified as being against the rules. I personally saw the following occur which is clearly outside the spirit of the event:
    Clue books being split-up into pieces and the team then spilt-up.
    Clue books being split-up into pieces and given to people who were not part of the event.
    Teams sharing answers (this happened alot).
    Teams stealing/copying answers. Not overhearing, but looking over people's shoulders and copying the answers (this happened to us).
    These were not isolated incidents, the splitting-up and answer sharing was very widespread. I didn't expect to win, I will have been very happy just to have finished in the top 50% so I don't feel like I was cheated out of something by the cheating of others, but it was disappointing to see how much of it was happening.

In the end I would do it again but there is alot of room for improvement. I think two clue books for each team would be helpful so would better organized books. Ultimately it would be nice if the points were balanced properly, either fill the event with the more complicated 5 & 10 point questions and severely limit the 1 point questions or vice-versa (I would prefer more of the complicated questions) or run two (or three) different events. One a more basic event (only 1 point questions) another more difficult event (no 1 point questions).

Typical first event. Lots of room for improvement for next time.

Cheating probably would be less of a big deal if there weren't prizes that had value. The rules did not prohibit the use of phones or the internet. Clearly not in the spirit of the game but not against the rules. I don't have a problem with tearing up the book but help outside of your team of 2, 3 or 4....not cool.

The rule that I felt was really missing was the if you start an attraction you have to finishi it. It was sad watching all sorts of people go into attractions and then try to go out the entrance or leave a show early or duck in an exit. I think that really negatively impacts guests not playing.

The yellow group definitely had the biggest handicap at the start. Disneyland was the "richest" zone and they were the furthest away. We were in the Red group and headed straight to the DL from our ESPN Zone start location. The Scavenger Hunt specific entrance had been closed by DL personnel and we had to wait in the general line to get in and the line was huge. In a game that was designed to be way too much for the time permited this wasn't very equitable. I would have rathered they just staggered the start and finish times.

The small book did not make it easy for teams of 4. Duplicate books or more "packets" would have engaged more of our team.

There were 300 1 point questions and 30 5 or 10 point questions. I am sure top teams put more effort into the 30 questions resulting in 200 possible points rather than the 300 questions.

Obviously the biggest drawback was the heat which unfortunately no one had control over.

Would I do it again.....sure; I like these kinds of things. Fun to discover new details.
    The Mur

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SilentDante View Post
    For the record, my partner and I won 2nd place, and we played it perfectly clean. I'm always a stickler for rules, no matter what I'm doing. We just worked our butts off to the point of exhaustion.

Also for the record, despite what they announced and what is listed in the wrapup article on the D23 website, our full team name was "Valiant and Valiant Detective Agency," not just "Valiant and Valiant."
    CONGRATULATIONS!!! That's freakin' awesome.

I too have done multiple Gumball Rallies and Mouse Adventures, and while this event was fun and I'd do it again, it's nowhere near my favorite event. Here were my problems with the event:

1) The number of questions...go D23 for finding so many new things for us to discover, but it was discouraging. I never once felt good about the number of things we'd answered. Always felt like we weren't doing a good enough job.

2) The order of the questions...thank goodness we were in the yellow group! That gave us time to sit there and go through the book, looking at each question, writing down on the manila envelope they gave us what area of DL each question was in (i.e. #212, 276, 278, and 313 were all on TSI). This was another thing that was discouraging because I'd KNOW there was a question regarding "x", but when we got to location of "x", I couldn't find the question in the book. It was a complete and kind of thing. And having so many questions in so many different places made it so you didn't run into any of the same teams more than once. It was kind of sad not being able to accuse someone of "following" or "stalking" you (maybe this should be added to rant #5)...

3) The time limit...five hours for such a task was a ruuuush. I was very happy that we were able to get to ride Indy and Jungle, but I was still worrying about time usage. I guess that's just part of the game.

4) The spotters/"cheating"...IMHO, using the internet/calling others is cheating. Period. Scavenger hunts are about finding things using your eyes, ears, and brain. Park maps were a part of the game - they were called for in the questions. You were also told to bring a camera. I used my iPhone to take pictures of plaques and when I got the chance to sit (like on the Mark Twain), I went through the image and answered the question. But I never once opened the internet. We also heard a team on their phone while they were on the Mark Twain, speaking to a teammate in Toon Town gathering answers. Which makes me wonder about spotters. During GR and MA, you would see spotters with official shirts, and ones incognito. The only "spotter" I saw was Jeffrey the Disney Geek. We ran into in several times, but my favorite time was when he was buying a cupcake at 10AM. Yay for morning sugar rushes!

5) The vibe...Like others have stated, there was always a sense of a friendly rivalry at non-D23 events. Just look back at our smack-talking threads for past Gumball Rallies! This one just seemed so sterile. I wish it was more of a celebration, more light-hearted. The stark ballroom could have been SO Disneyfied! A couple balloons...an appearance by Mickey...a little magic? There was SO much focus on getting the most points. I love how our event includes "Best Team Name" and "Best Logo". Those are important parts of the competition, too!

I'm going to stop complaining there...I think. No wait, one more thing. For the entry cost of $75/team (and I don't mean to sound all gimmie-gimmie-Veruca-Salt-like here), I was expecting a little more in our team packets. I got a lot more SWAG from other events. The patch, yeah it's rad, but that's it. If each person had gotten their own clue booklet, that would have made a cool souvenir. Or a little button or sticker to add to that backpack/clipboard/hat you always use at events like this. Or since we were battling crazy hot weather, water stations set up in each zone for the hunters would have been AWESOME, since we barely had time to use the restrooms let alone stop for a cold water bottle.

I had a really fun time though, despite all of my blah comments. My team got great compliments on our outfits (we wore rainbow colored zebra stripe tank tops and mouse ears with a zebra bow on 'em...we were the Sleeping Zebras) and we loved getting answers right by doing a little deductive reasoning and remembering from past park experiences. We had a ball finding new things we hadn't seen before. And I was happy to be able to earn those 10 bonus points by spotting Steven - we got it right away when he was sitting on a porch on Main St. Phew! We would all do it again - granted the weather wasn't 107 degrees.

And just to add - we focused on DL, going TSI and the Mark Twain first since they had SO many points. We also did all of the DTD questions, but never once stepped foot in DCA, DLH, GCH, or PPH. As soon as our group was released from the ballroom we beelined through DTD (taking care of the questions on the way) to DL. On the way back to turn in our booklets we polished off the last couple DTD questions we needed as well as a couple we just knew (thanks MC for so many meets at Whitewater Snacks and the Hearthstone! ). There's so much room for changing up which Zones to attack next year!

Quote Originally Posted by KEBSD
    The only "bad question" in my opinion was the five-pointer that required the cost of a La Brea bread bowl. The menu only listed a bread bowl with clam chowder or soup, not plain. After asking one of the employees, we got the response $5.00, but I have a feeling that isn't what they were looking for. Anyone know for sure?
    That question was definitely a little confusing, with the many options for a bread bowl that was available in the quick-serve line. The answer was in the menu for the sit-down portion of the restaurant though. You had to go to the hostess stand and grab the menu that was sitting there. The bread bowl was the first thing on the menu. I don't remember the price exactly, but I know it wasn't $5.00. Sorry!

And also...who the heck is Tilly?!

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanmcin View Post
    In the end I would do it again but there is alot of room for improvement. I think two clue books for each team would be helpful so would better organized books. Ultimately it would be nice if the points were balanced properly, either fill the event with the more complicated 5 & 10 point questions and severely limit the 1 point questions or vice-versa (I would prefer more of the complicated questions) or run two (or three) different events. One a more basic event (only 1 point questions) another more difficult event (no 1 point questions).
    I like the way you think! Especially your idea with the balancing of questions. Having an event with fewer questions (say, 150), with the bulk of the points coming from the complicated questions (like, 125) and then the remaining being single-pointers would have been better. Makes you have to think more creatively and utilize all of the brains in your team. I know two of our team members felt a little left out since I was in charge of the question booklet and another gal was in charge of the answer booklet. If there was at least one more question booklet, the other two members could have something tactile to work from, as well as feel more included.

I just realized something...at the Gumball Rally, it is VERY obvious how many people are supposed to be a part of your team. Your team number denotes it to the spotters. The D23 bibs barely showed how many people were supposed to be on your team. Unless you were within a foot of a person, you couldn't see the hand-written blue ball-point pen ink'd number of the people on your team. Which was also happened to have been written on the blue part of the bib. So unless the spotters had the list of how many people were on each team, and were checking constantly, they weren't going to know if the people on a team were split up all over the place. Well, for most teams anyway. Seeing rainbow striped zebra shirts in multiple locations at one time would have been red herring.

Maybe the D23 people should participate in a Gumball Rally. Just to see how well it is organized and the pure fun that it encourages. Should they try to steal it and call it their own, however...

• Some imagination, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by MissChristine View Post

And also...who the heck is Tilly?!
    She's the ticket taker of the Main Street Cinema, and she came from Marceline

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by niklj View Post
    She's the ticket taker of the Main Street Cinema, and she came from Marceline

Thanks.

We ran the scavenger hunt and we had a lot of fun. We didn't even really pay that much attention to other teams except when we saw a team stopping for a sit down lunch break. I think overall what was missing was the festive environment. We tried joking with other teams only to be greeted typically with a blank face. We were out to run hard and have a fun time doing it. Which is what we did.
    I think the advantage that The Gumball Rally has it that it stems from an online community. The reason why people are less likely to cheat is not because of the lack of opportunity but an accountability to the community. Obviously D23 does not have that same sense of community.
    Last edited by Kahuna; 09-28-2010 at 12:44 PM.

Blog Entries

I just read that the first palce team was told the estimated value of their prizes was $3,000 and the other place finishers prize bags were also of varying high monetary values! Crazy! I wonder though if people knowing this will make it more competitive if they do it again or possible make the cheating worse.

• Some imagination, huh?

Oh forgot to mention that I had the pleasure of meeting Fishbulb at the event

They just needed music at the beginning and end of the festivities. It was really quiet in there.

Good to hear everyone's comments. I had a lot of fun even though I was ridiculously tired. My suggestions would be:

1) Print the guide book either comic book or magazine sized. I would still limit it to 1 per team since multiple books would only cause more teams to split up. Maybe do a visual inspection at the end to make sure it wasn't ripped up or divided.

2) Instead of a patch, give out water bottles that people can refill throughout the day at drinking fountains. Water stations would be nice, but way too many regular guests would want to use them. I think they did get concerned towards the end of the event about the heat since every spotter we saw kept reminding us to stay hydrated.

3) In addition to the prize for the top teams, have some easier to get prizes. For example, if you get 50 points you get a patch, 100 points get a pin, 150 points a t-shirt, etc. That way teams won't feel like they've got no chance and give up. This would also make the actions of people who cheat have less affect. Also, I liked that the top prizes were just a bunch of Disney stuff instead of some super rare items. Keeps people from getting way too competitive/cheating.

4) Change up the scoring system and questions. I think some of the 10 point questions were too easy given how many points they were worth. I would make it so that the 10 point questions would be impossible to do without actually riding something. For example, they could sneak a clue into the ride (this would be a great way to set this event apart from fan-ran events), have someone stamp the book as you got off the ride, etc. This would also lead to some interesting strategic choices.

5) Sell food before and after the event in the ballroom.

6) Give every team 4 registration gifts. Since teams of two paid as much as teams of 4, why shouldn't they get the same number of gifts as the other teams?

I have to say it was pretty fun. They should consider making it more fun for everyone as it was obvious that some teams kind of gave up towards the end. I think doing smaller prizes would address that. I think the spotters did a great job although there were very few outside of Disneyland. Most of the cheating I saw was in the hotels where lots of teams split up. Our team had one member that left early so we didn't have as many people as it said we had on our bibs. We were stopped by spotters several times, so I know they were doing their jobs.

• 11 Year Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by MissChristine View Post
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!That question was definitely a little confusing, with the many options for a bread bowl that was available in the quick-serve line. The answer was in the menu for the sit-down portion of the restaurant though. You had to go to the hostess stand and grab the menu that was sitting there. The bread bowl was the first thing on the menu. I don't remember the price exactly, but I know it wasn't $5.00. Sorry!
    Ah, thank you! That was going to bother me a lot.

^Art by me!^
    Check out my
    Flickr page for a selection of my Disneyland Resort photography (and more)! {new photos 11.09.14}
    You can purchase a selection of my photos as well as clothing and stickers designed by me at my RedBubble page.
    Visit my
    Tumblr blog for another way to view and share my photos.
    Radiator Springs Racers ride count: 19

• Some imagination, huh?

Guess I should add my feedback (sorry if you've already seen it before):

Really fast run down (our path was GCH-->DTD-->DL) but:

The Good:
    Check-in seemed pretty well-organized. The ballroom was a nice venue. Cool special guests. Everyone was pretty spread out and not everyone was crowding over the same thing. Some of the answers were pretty neat and made me notice things I'd never noticed there were (a pig on the dresser of Pinocchio?) For some reason a lot of our answers for colors was "red."

They seemed to give us a lot of time. The easy level of questions actually gave me some sort of confidence and led me on to believe that these were totally doable. Basically, they made this game very accessible.

For the most part the event started on time-ish. The crew were very nice and helpful. The materials were really professional and of good quality. The free patch was a nice touch. I really liked the ability to take pictures during the event. The prizes were impressive and it was nice they had so much water for us at the end.

The bad:
    Some of the wording was weird on the questions. Apparently the crew were told they weren't allowed to clarify anything for us, but could only write down the question number in case lots of people were getting it wrong or contesting it. There was little-to-no rules, except NO RUNNING!

This was very frustrating coming from the very regulated games of MouseAdventure, and seeing people take pictures of clues and then reviewing them or people possibly using their cellphones to find answers and thinking "You're not allowed to do that!" and then realizing you WERE because they never said anything.

Ditto on the don't-enter-an-attraction's-queue-if-you're-not-going-to-ride-it or don't-enter-through-the-exit. Just a little frustrating. The organization of questions "by category" was very strange and confusing and I don't know why they did it that way.

There was also not enough seating for everyone in the ballroom. And I wish that Steven Clark had worn something more stand-outish other than a blue polo because I didn't really see him from where I was sitting and I guess this is where being a D23 member benefits you.

The Ugly:
    The heat snapped me and I began snapping back--at all my teammates I'm sorry guys. They started us at DTD when everything was CLOSED which really made things hard. They had no printed itinerary and depended on everything being vocalized so I misheard when the deadline was and couldn't correct myself and ended up turning my answer sheet an hour late. The questions were pretty basic and really tiring because we just had to look for sooo many little things and, as a poster said before, if you missed it it would be as good as gone because there was no time to go back.

The questions of "what is, who is, where are" also made for little teamwork. This was NOT a game meant for a four-person team because there was only enough for 1 or 2 people to do. I mean, how many people do you need to figure out "What color is the duck's hat in Pinocchio's Workshop" (well, four I guess and I still contend that that duck's hat is BLUE not BLACK)? I felt really bad for my two siblings because it seemed like they didn't really have anything to do and I tried my best to delegate the work but it really seemed like there wasn't enough to collaborate on. And I didn't really get a sense of accomplishment after solving one of the clues.

Sorry if I sound like I'm whining--I'm trying not to! I genuinely had a really great time and got to see Disneyland with new eyes. Everyone at the event was extremely nice and fun and I understand that this was just their first scavenger hunt. There is real potential in this event and I look forward to what it has under its sleeves the next time they come back to Disneyland!

P.S. The weather today can go suck an egg. Thank goodness for things like the Jazz Kitchen's snow-balls.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by niklj View Post

The questions of "what is, who is, where are" also made for little teamwork. This was NOT a game meant for a four-person team because there was only enough for 1 or 2 people to do. I mean, how many people do you need to figure out "What color is the duck's hat in Pinocchio's Workshop" (well, four I guess and I still contend that that duck's hat is BLUE not BLACK)? I felt really bad for my two siblings because it seemed like they didn't really have anything to do and I tried my best to delegate the work but it really seemed like there wasn't enough to collaborate on. And I didn't really get a sense of accomplishment after solving one of the clues.

Actually, there is enough to do for four people but I regret that my team wasn't firing on all four the whole time.

Due to the scrambled nature of the books, I would have preferred our guide book to be divided up so that more people can have ownership on their questions. So often we would answer what we THOUGHT were all the questions for a given land or attraction only to find that we missed some after we were long gone from that area. It's too hard for one person to have total control of the book.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Quote Originally Posted by KEBSD View Post
    I had a great time yesterday at the event It was definitely worth the cost.
    The only "bad question" in my opinion was the five-pointer that required the cost of a La Brea bread bowl. The menu only listed a bread bowl with clam chowder or soup, not plain. After asking one of the employees, we got the response $5.00, but I have a feeling that isn't what they were looking for. Anyone know for sure?
    I don't remember the cost, but the ones you're talking about were at the la Brea Express place..we looked at the menu at the regular restaurant and found the bread bowl. I though it was great fun (except for the heat) and congrats to the Valients who played so well. We were in the Disneyland starting group and were so dumb we didn't even think of looking at DTD questions until they let us officially start. I didn't know where laFite's anchor was either..and we never found it. I do think they should specify no internet as you can find answers there.. not just the locations to go find answers..(my friend's son later checked online and come up with a mess of answers in a short time, so I do think using the internet, although not specifically prohibited was against the intended spirit of the game). Next time we'll just play smarter, bring binoculars and a flashlight.. It was a first time event! They'll learn as they go along. I thought the set up and questions were great
    PS to the Valients..what was in that HUGE box??? and did anyone else think Steven Clark was verging on Grumpy?

Scores are posted: http://d23.disney.go.com/articles/im...inalScores.pdf
    Our team came in 12th. I feel better now.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast